So I took it upon myself to rewire my boat this week. I had originally done all the stuff one thing at a time so I wanted to clean everything up and correct all the annoyances I created in the past. My battery is in the back of my skiff, so I ran 10 gauge marine wire from there to my console, which is about ten feet. It goes into a battery on/ off switch, then to a bus panel. The bus panel goes either to the switch panel for all those switchable components (bilge, lights, etc) or to the stuff I want directly connected (radio, depth finder, etc). I also ran 10 gauge wire from the bus terminal to my ground point, about two feet away. Of course, the switch panel is grounded to the same point, as are all the components I have hooked up (or so I think, as it is now dark out). The ground point has another ten feet back to the negative terminal on the battery, bridged with more 10 gauge marine wire. Everything else has been wired with 14 gauge. When I hooked everything up to test for power, the positive 10 gauge wire began to burn up fast as I discovered there was clearly a short. By the time I had gotten it disconnected from the battery, the negative 10 gauge wire was completely shot as well. Let's just say that was one of the scariest moments of my life, and my lungs are still burning from the electrical smoke. Luckily I must have fused all my components properly, for all other wires seem fine. I don't know about the actual components yet. Does anyone know off hand what could be the problem? Was I not supposed to ground my positive bus panel? I realized after everything happened that I may not have tightened the nut that holds all the negative wires together to the bolt that is my ground point. But in that case, I wouldn't think the negative cable would also burn up. Please help so I can get this corrected in time to fish this weekend! If it helps, I can draw a crude picture of my setup. I have elementary electrical engineering knowledge, but unless I made a stupid oversight in my wiring, it must not be enough.