Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to the coast with my dolphin super skiff. I’m pretty new to coastal fly fishing and I’m struggling to find reds. Any advice or tips for a newbie that’s fly fishing around the Emerald Isle/Swansboro area? Thanks in advance!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
451 Posts
I thought that was a dolphin I passed going down the road. You don't see many (any) of those around here.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Hilarious
I’m in Texas but just looked at the map of that area and there’s a ton of grassy shorelines near deeper water. Looks like a few good long shorelines on the south side of the spoil island northeast of Emerald Isle. Long grassy shoreline. How about all that marsh just south of Swansboro? Looks juicy.

Get out there and pole around and run until you find fish, that’s what I do when fishing new areas. You won’t know if you don’t go!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m in Texas but just looked at the map of that area and there’s a ton of grassy shorelines near deeper water. Looks like a few good long shorelines on the south side of the spoil island northeast of Emerald Isle. Long grassy shoreline. How about all that marsh just south of Swansboro? Looks juicy.

Get out there and pole around and run until you find fish, that’s what I do when fishing new areas. You won’t know if you don’t go!
we have been hitting the Swansboro area pretty hard and have seen some and moved a couple, one monster on a popper that just didn’t eat. Thanks for taking the time to look at some maps we are headed back out now and will use the advice!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
451 Posts
The fish are there, you just have to keep looking. Pick a couple places on google maps before each trip and go search them out. There's really no secrets unfortunately. The habitat is good everywhere and the fish can be anywhere. One bay could be devoid of reds, and the one right beside it that looks exactly the same could be full of them. Just takes time and scouting. That being said, we are not SC, TX or LA...but we do have a decent number of reds around. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought that was a dolphin I passed going down the road. You don't see many (any) of those around here.
John I think you just spoke with my brother about doing a guided
The fish are there, you just have to keep looking. Pick a couple places on google maps before each trip and go search them out. There's really no secrets unfortunately. The habitat is good everywhere and the fish can be anywhere. One bay could be devoid of reds, and the one right beside it that looks exactly the same could be full of them. Just takes time and scouting. That being said, we are not SC, TX or LA...but we do have a decent number of reds around. Good luck!
awesome! Thanks man, I think you spoke with my brother this morning about a guided trip later in the week. Hopefully we can get together.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
451 Posts
John I think you just spoke with my brother about doing a guided

awesome! Thanks man, I think you spoke with my brother this morning about a guided trip later in the week. Hopefully we can get together.
Pretty sure I did, now that you mention it. Did you move here or are you just down on vacation?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts