Electrical help

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by kangaroo14, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kangaroo14

kangaroo14 Well-Known Member

Well being unsuccessful in getting in touch with a marine electrician I am so over calling and calling and not getting a response I would rather do it myself now. Is it difficult to hook up a 12v bow mount TM? What would I need? I have the TM, battery tray,battery and thats about it. I have an onboard charger that I have yet to use would it be easy to hook that up to the tm battery? Also how difficult would it be to disconnect on old cd player and install a new one? I am 16 and have no electrical background other than putting up light fixtures but I pick things up quick. If there are any websites, books, instructions that could help me out I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone is in my area and has any background in marine electrical work looking to make some $ feel free to pm with any info as well if anyone can recommend a mobile marine electrician in St. Aug thanks alot also any coments on a clarion CMD5 thats what I am thinking of using thanks alot

2. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

hey man call the west marine in op and ask for dowe the number there is 904-276-4343 ask him for the number of his electronics guy his name is ronnie i forget his number he is a good guy and very fairly priced and he knows all about that stuff.

Alex

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

a little reading:

http://www.screamandfly.com/home/hull_tech/wiring_6.6.2004/wiring_1.htm

http://www.boatpartstore.com/trollwire.asp

and watching:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dssb/episode/0,,diy_14307_25804,00.html

4. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

There is also a book called "The 12 Volt Bible", West Marine and all the big marine stores should carry it. 12 volts are really not that hard to figure out. Get a hold of one of the books and go from there.
    Weedy

5. tailchaser

tailchaser Well-Known Member

12v systems are extremely easy to work on...
    It took me a while to "get it" , but it's one of the easiest things to do..

do yourself a favor and get some extra wire and pratice soldering,  it'll save you tons of headache in the future..

Solder, heat shrink, and only use tinned (silver) wire..

6. johnboy

johnboy local yokal

12v is easy. Current is the issue though. trolling motors, starters and spotlights are high current devices.
    Use proper gauge of stranded wire for the application. Use NO-OX grease on all crimp connections. Solder can be iffy on a high current connection if not done correctly.
    The CD is easy. Observe polarity and fuse the HOT side with a water proof in line fuse (2 amp. should be sufficient)