Electrical Connectors

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by swaddict, Jan 2, 2012.

1. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

is there a difference in quality between Ancor and 3M, specifically the heat shrink connectors? Ancor is higher on price.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Read somewhere a few years ago, that 3M manufactures the heat shrink that Ancor sells.  :-?

Ancor appears to be a middleman, not a manufacturer.

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/cross-reference.htm

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Before buying from the big guys, go to harbor frieght if you have one locally and see what they have. If I had gone there first I could have saved myself alot of money on all the heat shrink stuff. HF had almost everything I already bought for about 1/3rd the price. I bought extras from them and have used them since when wiring my TM, I didn't notice a difference in quality.

4. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

Thanks, I'll check harbor freight.

5. beyondhelp

beyondhelp Well-Known Member

I have used a bunch of the Harbor freight Marine heat shrink. I was expecting come crap that wouldn't work and was surprised at how good it was. That and a $12 heat gun and now my wiring jobs look alot better.

6. ASB73

ASB73 Well-Known Member

I order mine from this guy.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-HEAT-SHRINK-BUTT-WIRE-CRIMP-CONNECTORS-ASSORTMENT-ELECTRICAL-TERMINALS-/380406933948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58920529bc
    Email him and he will give you his phone number to call him direct without going through ebay.

IMO quality of the HS butt connector doesn't matter .When you crimp them with cheap crimper tools you always end up cracking them anyway thus allowing moisture into the connection.

My method is crimp, heatshrink, apply 5 minute epoxy over the whole connection to seal the cracked crimp and ends of butt connector. Lastly slide heat shrink tubing over the still wet epoxied connector and shrink it. I do them like this on everything including my trailer and never had one go bad.

7. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

for a simple quick fix > use a reg. butt connector crimp and stuff/wipe w/ silicone
    never had a problem especially on the trailer

8. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Heat shrink butt connectors only get pierced open when crimping by cheaper crimper tools. Invest in a snap on one and no more pierced heat shrink.