Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a neat little project some of you may enjoy. This is our senior design project nearing completion of prototype 1 in collaboration with Mud Walker Mud Motors.

Hasn’t hit the water yet, but more testing and updates to come.

Some basic details:

Power System = 48v 100AH (4 12V 100AH in series of your choice)

System weight = approximately 125 lbs + batteries of choice

Power = programmed to replicate 10hp Briggs with plenty more capability from motor. We just chose this due to the capacity of our batteries

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,714 Posts
Does it come with electric oars for the ride home should a battery die?

Pretty slick. If I built that in my living room, my wife would have burned it up in the fire place.
Yea I was wondering why it was in the living room. He'll my wife won't let me sit in the chairs unless there covered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it come with electric oars for the ride home should a battery die?

Pretty slick. If I built that in my living room, my wife would have burned it up in the fire place.
Haha, you bet. But we actually have a microprocessor that’s hooked up to a custom PCB that is monitoring each battery individually and outputting each voltage through wifi that you can see in real time on your phone. When you start flirting with 11V you better head back to the ramp!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,321 Posts
What happens when a battery is say 3 years old and shorts itself out and instantly quits? Can it still run on 36v?
Probably the same thing that happens if you throw a rod or lose a cylinder in a gas engine. Call SeaTow.
Cool project, don’t let anyone piss in your wheaties, especially not that Katie Gender fella. I’d have a spare 36v lithium battery on board, they hold charge a long time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What happens when a battery is say 3 years old and shorts itself out and instantly quits? Can it still run on 36v?
The motor and controller are both designed to run on 36-48V. Obviously we haven't ran Into that Issue yet with it being the first day being all put together, but in theory you could make it back.

·
Brandon, FL
11,824 Posts
Probably the same thing that happens if you throw a rod or lose a cylinder in a gas engine. Call SeaTow.
Cool project, don’t let anyone piss in your wheaties, especially not that Katie Gender fella. I’d have a spare 36v lithium battery on board, they hold charge a long time.
Not trying to piss in his cereal - I think it is a great idea. He is using a homemade controller and if it is programmed it can automatically switch to 36v and get you back.

I like the idea for a duck hunting sled. Sure beats listening to a harley screaming across the water at 4am.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,321 Posts
Not trying to piss in his cereal - I think it is a great idea. He is using a homemade controller and if it is programmed it can automatically switch to 36v and get you back.

I like the idea for a duck hunting sled. Sure beats listening to a harley screaming across the water at 4am.
Naa, I know you weren’t, your question was legitimate. I’m just prepping him for the replies he hasn’t gotten yet.

·
Brandon, FL
11,824 Posts
See - he and I were typing at the same time and he was thinking it through.

Smart kid.

Now, for you, get back in the shop and get some machining done. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Naa, I know you weren’t, your question was legitimate. I’m just prepping him for the replies he hasn’t gotten yet.
No hard feelings here, it's not perfect but I just wanted to share! My real worry lies in the feasibility of running lithium. These lead acids are 60 lbs a piece, Id love to have the budget for lithium but I'm gonna play with what i've got for now

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,321 Posts
No hard feelings here, it's not perfect but I just wanted to share! My real worry lies in the feasibility of running lithium. These lead acids are 60 lbs a piece, Id love to have the budget for lithium but I'm gonna play with what i've got for now
I think it’s cool as shit. Not a fan of surface drives or mud slingers but I appreciate the skills involved in fabricating things like this.

·
Registered
2007 B2
281 Posts
THIS!

Love to see people doing cool projects like this. Especially for a senior design project. Those welds look great by the way. Yes this isn’t really a duck hunting or jon boat site but I think stuff like this has potential in the future. Too many people sit on their couch all day and ask on forums how shit works then rant when they don’t get their answer rather than going and figuring it out for themselves.

Kudos! Don’t take shit from anyone!

·
Carpe Diem
1,948 Posts
Interesting idea, but with existing battery technology, range and power are going to be very limited. Have I missed something? 48v at 100 amps is 4800 watts which is about 6.4 hp assuming 100% efficiency. Running at 100 amps would realistically give less than an hour of run time. Is my math wrong?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts