Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
'Dats a good looking skiff right there... Afraid to ask the price.

For many years whenever one of my regular customers got the itch to have their own skiff... I'd always point them towards the standard sized Egret. I tell them up front that I can't afford one (and most can't...) -but if they look closely at any Egret they'll get some idea of how a skiff ought to be built and rigged out...

I'll be interested in what folks have to say about this new small one...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
517 Posts
The Moccasin implies what exactly? A different, more simple layout? I would wonder if this boat will start low 40s depending on power? I wonder what hp is rated?

I'm really interested in the 19 Moccasin with a leaning post livewell and a small rear deck with removable bench seating as my kids get older. Haven't spec'ed it out yet...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I fish on a 21 Mocassin all the time and the boat is awesome. Real dry and smooth ride. Not to mention floats pretty skinny for its size. They have made minor changes to them to only make them better. For example the old self bailing cockpit kind of sucked. The new ones fixed the problem. The 21 goes for about 80k

·
I Love microskiff.com!
690 Posts
I had two different egret 18s in my past. Great boat in many ways but the hard chine that is similar to what is shown in the 16 is so noisy that it drove me absolutely nuts. Even if it didn’t bother the fish, the problem was once you Cue in on it you can’t stop hearing it. And yes – the polling platform looks like it’s from 20 years ago

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 97' 167 CK. Without a doubt it is the driest and best riding hull for a boat under 20'. The boat does have a bad hull slap when in light chop, but it is definitely fishable. The draft on my boat is realistically 11" and a little less with someone on the bow. The number is that high due to the 45 gallon fuel tank, 3 batteries towards the aft and a pretty heavy motor (120lbs heavier than the one in the picture). I'm curious to the numbers on that boat with how simple the build looks.

Yes, they still use the same platform that they used in 97'.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
690 Posts
That was an excellent post after mine. I don’t wanna be negative towards the egret, - I loved mine in many ways and for some people they will be the absolute best boat available. There is nothing like them in the slop. Actually, I also had a pathfinder 22 and in the rough stuff, I would rather be in the egret 18 any day of the week.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,280 Posts
Pretty sure you can play a game of dominos on the poling platform. Other than that I think it looks great. From the looks of the beam and that entry seems like it would be a very nice family skiff. Top speed is 35mph with a 60, which ain’t bad.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The Moccasin implies what exactly? A different, more simple layout?
The Moccasin line started out several years ago to be Egret's more simple, more affordable alternative to thier 189 and 2011. However, it has gotten better finished, with more upgrades, and more expensive over the years and now there is not a lot of difference in finish or costs between the regular Egret and the Moccasin line. Judging from the FB page, it outsells the regular Egret despite not even being listed on thier webiste or advertised.

My experience is with the 21', but assuming the same holds true for the 167 / Moccasin 16 and the 19' and 21' versions, the differences come down to:

- Layout. Moccasin has a more open cockpit and less front and rear deck.

- 167 / 189 / 2011 have lockable rod lockers that are nice to store rods in but it also eats up cockpit room. Moccasins have open under gunwale storage like most skiffs.

- Moccasin hatches and storage areas are not gelcoated underneath and inside. They are sanded and painted but not as nice as the regular Egret. They are larger though due to not having the finished bucket storage areas.

- Moccasins lack the pad on the bottom. Instead of having the pad to get up on and run, it is actually recessed about an inch or so. Thus, they don't take advanrage of higher HP the same way and are not as fast. That's why despite the 21' Moccasin and 2011 being rated for 350HP, the largest motor put on a Moccasin 210 to date is a V6 Mercury 225 and most have I4 Suzuki 200's whereas most 2011 will have a 250-350.

- Moccasin planes at slower speeds. The 21' Moccasin will get on plane and stay on plane at 13 mph

- Moccassins should be a little lighter except people are turning the 190 and 210 into true bay boats with towers and what not. Most 21' versions draft a real world 11"which is about 1-2" less than the 2011. However, there are none with jackplates so that's on a drift.

Bottom line is that regular Egret has better finished storage areas and is faster. The Moccasin is more practical for what people really need.

All Egrets have hull slap... the price you pay for the ride I guess. I would think that's more of a problem a 17' poling skiff than the 21' flats/bay hybrid that is going to be using a trolling motor.

My take is not the most stealthy bonefish boat but with the hull, range, and actually being self bailing, would be an awesome skiff for long open water runs and chasing tarpon.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Nice looking. But agree on platform age. Console might have it beat. That could be 70’s. And the large drip edge let’s call it around the cockpit. Almost think the cushion is backwards too. Probably extremely noisy, but you can catch any of the common flats fish including bones, in the rivers on the east coast of Florida with boats buzzing right by you. From Ponce inlet south.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
517 Posts
Thank you, @Half Shell for those great details. I had assumed some of the differences, but never spelled out like that. Interesting that the pricing has gone up to be more inline with the regular lineup. I was hoping that I might be able to get into a 19 Moccasin with a 150hp for less money than the 189.

·
Registered
235 Posts
New here but had to log on and tell all the haters out there that this thing is sick. Out dated? Nah! More like well aged, just gets better as time goes. Don't fix what isn't broke.

I'd love this skiff in my fleet!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts