Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want bang for your buck go with an MHX pole (this is what I own and could not be happier), if you want extremely light go with carbon marine ($$$)

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
871 Posts
Similar to OP on being new to pushing, outside of length, what influences the purchase? Weight and flex im assuming?
Yes, length is driven by water depth you fish and flex and weight by the materials of the pole. Graphite having less flex and weight.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have had Stiffy, Moonlighter, and the GLR3 Carbon Marine. Carbon Marine is by far the best pole I’ve ever owned. It’s like, stiff, and easy on the hands. Stiffy would be a close second. I was not impressed with a Moonlighter at all But don’t even know what model I had as it came on a boat.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
24' might be overkill since you are fishing NC. How deep of water do you usually pole in?

Many of the FL guys use a 24' since tarpon water is deeper, and there are deeper channels to pole through.

I use a 21' Stiffy here in TX and it is just right since I am primarily poling in less than 3' of water - more like 2' or less. Before the 21' and I had a 19'6" Mangrove - I do like the extra 18" to get an extra push in before having to pick up.

Storage is another factor - standard garages are too short for the 24' and barely accommodate a 21' unless you store at an angle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hoping its ok to tack on an additional question. Ive been looking as well and see disclaimers on the higher end poles that they arent ideal for beginners. Is it really best to get a more flexible pole to learn on or does buy once cry once apply here? Upgrading from a canoe to a skiff and primarily fish sand/grass flats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Stiffy Hybrid, it was my first pole, and its been good the last 18 months. I only pole some, but bring it with me every time I go out. It won’t fi in my garage, and I had a 20’ joint of 2” pvc that I hung on the inside of my fence. I now store my pole in that piece of pipe to keep the aun off when its being stored.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hoping its ok to tack on an additional question. Ive been looking as well and see disclaimers on the higher end poles that they arent ideal for beginners. Is it really best to get a more flexible pole to learn on or does buy once cry once apply here? Upgrading from a canoe to a skiff and primarily fish sand/grass flats.
I wouldn't seek out a flexible pole ever, even if you're new. I think its actually harder to learn with a flexible pole. You want the force you put into the pole to translate to movement of the boat, flexing removes a portion of your effort.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,847 Posts
These are all good recommendations. Carbon,Stiffy and MHX. With that size boat and where you fish a 24' pole would be my suggestion. I have a 24' from Mudhole delivered to my house and put it together. I ordered a 21-22 but after it was together it came out to 24'

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,847 Posts
If you want bang for your buck go with an MHX pole (this is what I own and could not be happier), if you want extremely light go with carbon marine ($$$)
My 24' MHX weighs 4 lbs. Can't imagine one lighter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I want to thank you all for the replies with so much useful information. What a great resource you guys are.

I'll make you a deal on a 24' Stiffy Hybrid. I'm in Tampa, East side of town. I'm planning on upgrading mine to a Carbon Marine for tarpon season.
I might reach out to you sometime at the beginning of the week in a PM if that's the route i choose to go. Thanks for the offer.

Hoping its ok to tack on an additional question. Ive been looking as well and see disclaimers on the higher end poles that they aren't ideal for beginners. Is it really best to get a more flexible pole to learn on or does buy once cry once apply here? Upgrading from a canoe to a skiff and primarily fish sand/grass flats.
The more questions the better my man, no better way to learn than to ask.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you plan on spending a lot of time on the pole, I would get a 24’ stiffy hybrid. I’m in Southport and purchased mine from intercostal angler. They always have quite a few in stock.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had a 14' skiff that came with a 16' Fiberglass STIFFY. I couldnt move my arms for two days after my first day poling my skiff. That pole weighed a TON and was so short that I was constantly picking it up.
Ended up selling that pole and upgrading to an 18' STIFFY Hybrid. HUGE upgrade, just in weight alone. 2# difference doesnt sound like much until you're raising it up a million times over hours.
If you get a good deal on it, Jason's hybrid would be my recommendation. I agree with others, the longer the better.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have a 23' Stiffy Hybrid for $400 if you want a great push pole without breaking the bank. Pole is used, but in excellent condition.

Located in Lakeland, FL. Close to Tampa.

PM for more info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just went thru this when I broke a pole in a freak on the water accident. They are HARD TO GET. I would look into a Stiffy Pole. I have - and have always had an Extreme BC it is super light. It is also super susceptible to breaking and you can't stake with it but it is sure easy to move the boat. The one up from that is the stiffy hybrid. Its also light just not as light and is the more standard diameter. The extreme is narrower and requires a different push pole holder. as to length the longer the better except when it isn't. A longer pole is a heavier pole and also easier to break bc of flex. A longer pole is harder to trailer and can be a problem for your rig in a sharp turn, etc... you get the idea. My 17 Maverick uses a 21 Stiffy so I would suggest a 22 for your 18. Most guides I know use that formula unless they are tarpon fishing the ocean side then they may have a longer pole for that specific purpose.

Regarding Push Poles they are very hard to get right now and most in stock are either too small or too big for what you want. I found the folks at 239 Flies in Bonita Beach to be great and they stock the poles. Ultimately I got lucky and found one south ( I live in Miami) so I didn't have to drive that far to get them but most dealers and fly shops are very low on stock at the moment. call around first and if they have what you want leave a deposit . Thanks Corona.

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
223 Posts
I like the stiffy hybrid so much I have 2 of em....MHX was also a good pole on my last boat...stiffy hybrid is better imo

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Truth!! Best pole I've ever used, hands down:) Pun intended.
I went from a Biscayne Push Pole 21', Stiffy Hybrid 22', and Man that GL3 24' is just perfect! Not bashing the other Poles, they are great for the application. I pole a Maverick HPXV 17.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Went from a Stiffy hybrid 21, to Stiffy Guide 23 then Stiffy Guide 24 with a type 2 foot ( no bridge )and love it , I have never tried the GL3 but heard good things, would recommend Haddrells in Charleston SC as well to purchase , the cheaper poles might be ok if poling 20-30% , but I pole 100% of the time,good luck

21 - 40 of 48 Posts