Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I need a push pole education. I am traveling to FL next week from NC to buy a boat. It doesn't come with a pole and hope to purchase one while I am down there picking up the boat. I have never owned a boat that I can pole, so this will be a new adventure that I am excited about.

I would like to hear recommendations from personal experience on material, length, brand, etc that would work for a 18' boat in southeast NC. Only pole low tides in creeks but would learn to fish the flood tides. I would say I would be on the pole 20-30% of the time, but like I said, this is a guess as I have never owned a boat small enough to push myself around.

Also, can anyone point me to a dealer between the NC/SC line and Tampa that would have push poles in stock next week? I have heard from talking to local guys near me, they are hard to come by around here as my area doesn't see a large demand for them.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Carbon Marine is in Tampa. They would be a good start. They have a couple different ones from budget push poles to higher end. They also deliver when they do a run in you’re area.

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
867 Posts
2nd on Carbon Marine. Call Joe he'll get you setup with the right length and style. You'll be able to get it while you're in Tampa.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carbon Marine is in Tampa. They would be a good start. They have a couple different ones from budget push poles to higher end. They also deliver when they do a run in you’re area.
Thanks for the info

2nd on Carbon Marine. Call Joe he'll get you setup with the right length and style. You'll be able to get it while you're in Tampa.
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate that.

Intracoastal angler in wilmington stock stiffys
Thanks for this info, I didn’t know this, they are pretty local to me, about 30 min away. I will give them a call.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Carbon Marine G2 pole, 20 minimum or 22 feet preferably. Light, stiff, right thickness (not too thick) won't get fibers in your hand like some. Call ahead and ask for Eric in sales: 813-284-7040. See what they have and may be put a deposit down. Great customer service if you ever break a section down the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve built 2 poles from mud hole. They ship to your door and are easy to put together

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
867 Posts
I'll make you a deal on a 24' Stiffy Hybrid. I'm in Tampa, East side of town. I'm planning on upgrading mine to a Carbon Marine for tarpon season.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another vote for carbon marine. I have a 18’ skiff and use a 22’ GL2. If I got another I would go to a 24’ and spend the extra money for a 1 piece GL3.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
284 Posts
Again, recommend Carbon Marine. Great push pole, excellent service. I have a GL3 and it’s awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar to OP on being new to pushing, outside of length, what influences the purchase? Weight and flex im assuming?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts