Economy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by orlgheenoer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

Is it possible the economy has something to do with the decline in activity on forums???

things have not really slowed down here but, other places have slowed down considerably.

2. mygheenoe1

mygheenoe1 Well-Known Member

yes i lost over $10k in the last week in my 401k. i work 12hrs a day and on the forum 7 of the 12 hrs maybe more

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

My % return so far this year.

- 12.4%

4. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

we should see the market hover around the 12,000 level for awhile, with seeing many up and down swings (volatility) i personally don't think we've hit the bottom just yet because people continue to talk about the subprime market and all the foreclosers but have yet to talk about the credit card delinquencies.

for example american express had credit card right offs around 7% more from the prior quarter plus all the other credit cards which haven t disclosed their numbers yet.

the rally was nice today specially because futures this morning started 500 points down

so my take is that this year is going to be a very volatile year so the best bet is to dollar cost average and look long term if you cant handled this then go to cash

remember if your funds drop 50% this year youll need a 100% return to break even

5. mygheenoe1

mygheenoe1 Well-Known Member

6. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

And another investment strategy...

7. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Not tying to sound profound, but obviously the economy is factor in everything we do. When its bad, discretionary spending is less, which means less frivolous endeavors like fishing, etc. But I think as far as forum participation is concerned I think its a variety of things. I know myself that job pressures have taken away some free time, my kids school projects and sports programs, some of which I also coach take away time. I'm also as passionate, maybe even more so than fishing about bowhunting. So his past fall I was hell bent to kill a deer with a longbow, something I haven't done in more years than I care to mention. Then there is the household projects and such that I need to get ahead of. Add that all together and it gets increasingly difficult to lurk, let alone actively participate. I'm sure a lot folks have similar situations.

Bottom line is I don't expect microskiff.com hit counts to be factored into the S&P 500 index any time soon. :p

8. captnron

captnron Guest

Well put.

9. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

I've actually had to get up and do some work lately, so I only get about 6 hours of internet surfing done a day. Might be time to look for a new job.

10. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

i look at the economy like i look at going to teh doctor. If i ignore it, it doesnt affect me. EZPZ

11. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

I'm averaging 14hrs on the internet maybe I should actually do something hmm

12. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

One of my all time favorite responses...nicely played sir ;)

My investment strategy has been unaffected by the economy....lottery tickets are still a buck...

13. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

deerfly, I refuse to consider fishing a "frivolous endeavor"!!!!! ;) Dave

14. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Dave, you are right about that, not the best choice of words on my part.