Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The Glide can handle some rough water.  Not like the Caimen though.  It is just as dry as the Caimen. As long as your dont have a 20+ cross wind you will be bone dry.

Polling is a dream.  Tracks the same as the Caimen.  Boat is super light and floats in 4".  Thats not an exaggeration.  The Glide is not as stable as the Caimen, but thats to be expected. Its a 2 man boat. I fished it solo allot and loved every second of it.  NO complaints.
Is that 4" draft with two anglers, or just the boat? My b2 drafts 4.5" with someone on the nose and nobody on the platform. Once I get on the platform, it drafts 6.5".

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
The Glide can handle some rough water.  Not like the Caimen though.  It is just as dry as the Caimen. As long as your dont have a 20+ cross wind you will be bone dry.

Polling is a dream.  Tracks the same as the Caimen.  Boat is super light and floats in 4".  Thats not an exaggeration.  The Glide is not as stable as the Caimen, but thats to be expected. Its a 2 man boat. I fished it solo allot and loved every second of it.  NO complaints.
Is that 4" draft with two anglers, or just the boat?  My b2 drafts 4.5" with someone on the nose and nobody on the platform.  Once I get on the platform, it drafts 6.5".
that was with 2 people.  By myself I got 5

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thanks for the stats.  I should add, I am 6' and 175 pounds - I know I add 2" to the draft, but I am a pretty normal sized guy.  :)

I'll have to strong arm a guy who recently bought a Glide to take me out so I can see first hand what it can do.  At 4 to 5 inch real world draft with two anglers, that is Gladesskiff skinny water it can get to.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
I owned a Glide, my brother owns a Caimen. My Caimen is in the build process now. 

The Caimen can handle some pretty rough water.  It really is impressive.  It is bone dry as long as you dont have a 20+ cross wind.  The wind will blow the spray back at you.  This cant be avoided in any boat. You really have to ride in the Caimen to see it for your self. This was taken vesterday running topped out at 35mph.  The Caimen will eat rollers up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrIJRMD4_Y

It fishes 3 people easy.  I have polled my brothers in 15+ winds and the nose will actually track into the wind.  Minimal correction needed in high winds.  Again, very impressive. 

I would guess the draft is 5-6 with 2 people. 

Fit and finish is best your going to get. Period
I own a Center Console Caimen with a Yamaha F70. Fishing 3 people is very tight if you have a bow platform. The boat also will not draft 5-6 with the center console loaded with two people. More like 7-8 inches. Fit and finish is acceptable for the price. Inspect a couple of finished builds closely before ordering to make sure it's up to your expectations. It's a hand built boat by a very small company trying to turn boats as fast as they can. There are blemishes.

The Caimen was designed for a 40-50hp motor and a tiller or side console. It doesn't need 20 gallons of fuel like they offer now. The 15 they used to have is fine. If you build it like that, it's awesome. And it definitely cuts the chop and boat wakes. Me and a very good friend alternate between my boat and his BT-V. Every time in his boat we talk about how much better mine takes the waves. The narrow hull with sharp entry works very well. It also poles very easily because it's super light. I love the boat but I need something a little bigger with two growing boys. It'll be for sale soon to be replaced with an HB Guide.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
I owned a Glide, my brother owns a Caimen. My Caimen is in the build process now. 

The Caimen can handle some pretty rough water.  It really is impressive.  It is bone dry as long as you dont have a 20+ cross wind.  The wind will blow the spray back at you.  This cant be avoided in any boat. You really have to ride in the Caimen to see it for your self. This was taken vesterday running topped out at 35mph.  The Caimen will eat rollers up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrIJRMD4_Y

It fishes 3 people easy.  I have polled my brothers in 15+ winds and the nose will actually track into the wind.  Minimal correction needed in high winds.  Again, very impressive. 

I would guess the draft is 5-6 with 2 people. 

Fit and finish is best your going to get. Period
I own a Center Console Caimen with a Yamaha F70. Fishing 3 people is very tight if you have a bow platform. The boat also will not draft 5-6 with the center console loaded with two people. More like 7-8 inches. Fit and finish is acceptable for the price. Inspect a couple of finished builds closely before ordering to make sure it's up to your expectations. It's a hand built boat by a very small company trying to turn boats as fast as they can. There are blemishes.

The Caimen was designed for a 40-50hp motor and a tiller or side console. It doesn't need 20 gallons of fuel like they offer now. The 15 they used to have is fine. If you build it like that, it's awesome. And it definitely cuts the chop and boat wakes. Me and a very good friend alternate between my boat and his BT-V. Every time in his boat we talk about how much better mine takes the waves. The narrow hull with sharp entry works very well. It also poles very easily because it's super light. I love the boat but I need something a little bigger with two growing boys. It'll be for sale soon to be replaced with an HB Guide.
Marshfly, what year is your Caimen? It's not the one with the black out package and the 2 custom rear sponson live wells is it? My cousin is talking about having that exact skiff built. He is truly in love with it. He was 100% on a Caimen with an F70 till he saw the pics of that green Cayo 173 a few weeks ago. His wife saw the price tag on the Cayo and is trying to talk him into that and a bigger booze cruise/island boat. Something like a deck boat or saltwater pontoon boat. Why have 1 boat when you can have 2 LOL She isn't really all about the whole fishing thing but loves to be out on the water with the little ones.  ;D ;D 

Anyways, shoot me a PM when you decide to list her. I'd be glad to give you his contact info.

Thanks,
Evan

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Mine is this one.
https://vimeo.com/17582522

I don't know if it'll be for sale as soon as I thought. I am in the process of buying a 29 foot Glenn Young offshore center console so that will work for the family trips for a while.

I'll let you know if so, though. It'll definitely be posted on Microskiff as soon as it goes up for sale.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's everyone's thoughts on the Glide with a zuke 20 vs zuke 30?

Also when does the second angler sit? Cooler? Seat cushion on back deck?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
726 Posts
If you are considering a glide, i would recommend the caimen lite. its a non liner version of the caimen so it doesnt have bulk heads just like the glide. Base hull starts at 15K. All other features of the caimen are present in the lite version. Ive taken my lite out past the jetties the past three weekends chasing triple tail and i couldnt be happier with its performance. Today i ran through 2-3ft swells with ease. It gets plenty skinny and eats up the chop like a fat kid at a buffet. and it freaking hugs the rails! The caimen is the ferrari of poling skiffs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
726 Posts
Nice. I haven't heard much about the caimen lite. What size motor did you go with on it? Tiller setup?
The lite is fairly new and i'm not sure why EC isnt advertising more. I was told the lite was designed for a 30HP max but it still has the same transom as the regular caimen, which rates up to a 70 max, so i opted for a 40hp. Right now i see 30mph @ WOT and i'm turning 5100-5200 RPMs. Ive got way to much prop so im going to drop down in pitch to help get my RPMs closer to 6100 and hopefully pick up a few more MPH. I can stay on plane at about 13mph, boat gets on plane in about half a boat length. I have not truly measured its draft but id say it floats in 6" easy just based on observations. I have a tiller set up with a side/gunnel mounted grab bar. I'm kinda shocked that the gentleman with the glide is seeing the same speeds as me with a 20hp.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
The lite is fairly new and i'm not sure why EC isnt advertising more. I was told the lite was designed for a 30HP max but it still has the same transom as the regular caimen, which rates up to a 70 max, so i opted for a 40hp. Right now i see 30mph @ WOT and i'm turning 5100-5200 RPMs. Ive got way to much prop so im going to drop down in pitch to help get my RPMs closer to 6100 and hopefully pick up a few more MPH. I can stay on plane at about 13mph, boat gets on plane in about half a boat length. I have not truly measured its draft but id say it floats in 6" easy just based on observations. I have a tiller set up with a side/gunnel mounted grab bar. I'm kinda shocked that the gentleman with the glide is seeing the same speeds as me with a 20hp.
You are right. I posted this a few years ago prior to adding a tach and GPS. I'm seeing 25mph solo. 22mph lwith 2 people.

·
Lip Ripper
1,711 Posts
Talk to kevin about riding in the caimen lite and the Glide, choose the one you like the best. If it were my money i'd do caimen lite, it seems like it can do most things the Glide can do but for the days you want to cross big water or talk out friends and family, it'll handle that better.

·
Registered
Cheat’em Prototiller
73 Posts
kwarner,

I'm chiming in late, but I've had my Glide 2 years now, first with the Suzuki 20 and now with the 30. Every boat is a compromise and I have a lot of thoughts on the compromises in this design. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts