Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Waitin' on the flood !
2009 Beavertail BTX powered by a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Glide. I'm hoping to wet test one in the next few week. I'd like some feedback from current owners or anyone fish has fished from one. Any and all information pertaining to the performance and "fishability" would be great.

·
Thread Killer
2007 Gordon Waterman 70hp Yamaha Tiller
718 Posts
go for it, they look like sick little skiffs from a good builder

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
I picked mine up in mid-June and I'll get around to putting photos up and my thoughts on the boat in the bragging section one of these days here soon.

It really suits the type of fishing I do and so far I am completely satisfied with performance and fishability. I fish the jax beach area creeks, mainly on low tides and when I can catch a flood or right high tide, predominately on the fly.

I have the tiller, with a grab bar, 45 yeti in the middle, pre-rigged for a trolling motor with the suzuki 20 hp. I still havent decided if I want to add the TM or not, as I would only use it trying to exit a flat or creek into the wind on a high tide while still fishing.

With the gear I have loaded in the boat, 2 anglers (175lbs each) I am drafting around 5 inches and I have found with the mud we have here, I can cheat that to about 3 inches and still pole (somewhat). It fishes best with 2 people. When Im poling by myself, the stern drafts 6 or 7, but i keep most of my gear in the back hatches. I am working on dialing in my load distribution. Im sure I can level it back out by sliding my cooler farther forward. On the pole, it tracks straight, and turns tightly. It gets a little "drifty" when the wind picks up to 15 mph or so.

The ride is very comfortable, great in wind chop in the ICW, and handles boat chop well. I have only had one "oh chit" moment so far and that was with 60' yacht in a narrow part of the channel, but even then, I did not feel uncomfortable. I dont have a tach or GPS, but the advertised numbers are probably pretty accurate. Upper 20s, maybe touching 30 running empty and solo. Upper mid 20s with 2 people and gear. It will cruise decently with 3 people with anyone sitting on the gunnels getting some mist. In my experience, it handles best with one guy sitting on the middle cooler and me standing in the middle running the tiller. When I run by myself, the boat will lean unless Im balanced in the center. I dont have tabs and next time I'm solo, I will move my cooler all the way to the front.

I really like the storage layout without the bulkhead. There is enough room for all of my "occasional" and USCG items. I keep my tackle bag and life jackets under the deck overhang. They are out of the way when you need them to be, but I dont make a lot of noise and can easily access those items when I need to.

All in all, it does what I wanted it to do. Runs the ICW comfortably, fishes skinny with a buddy, and has a clean and smart layout. The guys at ECC are great and down to earth. Plus their shop is 5 minutes from where I grew up.

PM me if you have more specific questions. And since you are in the 'dina, we might be able to meet up for a wet test/fishing session.

·
Waitin' on the flood !
2009 Beavertail BTX powered by a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd also like some input on the Glides, anyone else out there?

Flatattack, how was the wet test?
Wet test went good. On plane the Glide is very fun to drive! Off plane she is a little tippy but that is to be expected in a boat this size. I'm still on the fence, I need to spend some fishing time on one before I make my final decision.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2 Posts
can you elaborate on when you said three People with anyone sitting on the gunnels getting some mist? Is that one person on cooler, with two other people sitting side by side on the back or with literally someone sittin sideways on gunnel?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
can you elaborate on when you said three People with anyone sitting on the gunnels getting some mist? Is that one person on cooler, with two other people sitting side by side on the back or with literally someone sittin sideways on gunnel?
Sure... When I run three people, I have one person sitting center of the boat on the cooler, I stand just right of center of the boat since I have a tiller with extension, and the third person sits partially on "bench" and partially on the gunnel. To explain it another way, the third person sits right where the gunnel meets the back deck, with his left leg on the gunnel and right leg on the back deck.

If you are running without a tiller extension, both people could sit on the back deck. But with the tiller extension, you need this passenger to sit more to the port side of the boat in order to maintain turning clearance.

I hope that makes sense

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
I'll also add, if its calm or "microskiff" conditions, its a non issue. If I have 3 people in the boat, I have my girlfriend ride in the gunnel position. She has never complained about getting wet.

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
Floats is nothing.  4'' is ridiculous.

Wet?  only if your taking on the wave from the wrong direction. only time i ever got mist is when the wind blows the mist back at you.   I dont care if your in the North Western (crab boat), if the wind is blowing hard enough across the bow your gonna get some spray.   

And if some spray bothers you, stay home

Sick boat!

·
Registered
244 Posts
[smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif] Go for it! If I was buying a manufactured skiff, I'd buy one from East Cape and I'd go for the Glide. These guys care about customers and service.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2 Posts
Mcmacfly thank you for the clarification...explained perfectly! Ur very concise...thank u for ur time...

Baystyat...you may not feel comfortable with my questions and that's fine.... I know all boats can be wet...Mcmacfly did an excellent job explaining The frequency of that occurrence...

Mcmacfly u seem like an intellectual so I'm gonna go deeper into the question....at what wave hight, wave length and wind speed do u start to see mist....example 3 foot wave height and 1 foot wave length.... I know baystyat is going to lose his mind and maybe some others but I give O... Lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
Mcmacfly u seem like an intellectual so I'm gonna go deeper into the question....at what wave hight, wave length and wind speed  do u start to see mist....example 3 foot wave height and 1 foot wave length....  I know  baystyat is going to lose his mind and maybe some others but I  give O... Lol
Far from an intellectual.... and I have no idea, I dont pay attention to size or frequency. I fish the ICW and associated creeks, so the largest I'll ever reasonably see is 1' or less and because I fly fish I'm usually not on the water if its blowing over 20mph.

·
I Heart microskiff.com!
152 Posts
I wet tested one on Friday and was very impressed with it's capabilities, speed, ride, style and finish.  Unfortunately, my infatuation with the EC caimen is too strong or I would have placed an order for a new Glide.  I'm still flirting with the idea, who knows..........

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I wet tested one on Friday and was very impressed with it's capabilities, speed, ride, style and finish.  Unfortunately, my infatuation with the EC caimen is too strong or I would have placed an order for a new Glide.  I'm still flirting with the idea, who knows..........
Ken - I don't know much about the Caimen, how does it compare to the Glide? There have been a few posts of people saying they'd rather get a Caimen over a Glide, so I am curious on how they compare.

·
I Heart microskiff.com!
152 Posts
Kevin at EC would be the best to answer this question, I only spent a hour or two on both boats. In my opinion, which is worth very little due to my experience and boat knowledge, there is some overlap, but they are different enough for EC to warrant both models. On paper they seem very close, but the caimen is more stable and will handle "bigger" water with its longer overall length and width at the water line. The Caimen feels much larger than it is. The Glide is more nimble, will float shallower and is a dream to pole if rigged out as its design was intended. The Glides name is very appropriate.

·
Who Dat
1,740 Posts
I owned a Glide, my brother owns a Caimen. My Caimen is in the build process now. 

The Caimen can handle some pretty rough water.  It really is impressive.  It is bone dry as long as you dont have a 20+ cross wind.  The wind will blow the spray back at you.  This cant be avoided in any boat. You really have to ride in the Caimen to see it for your self. This was taken vesterday running topped out at 35mph.  The Caimen will eat rollers up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrIJRMD4_Y

It fishes 3 people easy.  I have polled my brothers in 15+ winds and the nose will actually track into the wind.  Minimal correction needed in high winds.  Again, very impressive. 

I would guess the draft is 5-6 with 2 people. 

Fit and finish is best your going to get. Period

The Glide can handle some rough water.  Not like the Caimen though.  It is just as dry as the Caimen. As long as your dont have a 20+ cross wind you will be bone dry.

Polling is a dream.  Tracks the same as the Caimen.  Boat is super light and floats in 4".  Thats not an exaggeration.  The Glide is not as stable as the Caimen, but thats to be expected. Its a 2 man boat. I fished it solo allot and loved every second of it.  NO complaints.

Fit and finish is the best your gonna get .  Period

The Glide is a bad ass skiff. 

I am moving into a Caimen. I have a 3 year boy and wanted something for him and I to grow in.  My wife, son and I spend allot of time on the bayou (not just fishing) so having the bigger skiff gives us much more versatility.

Both will do what ECC claims.  There is no exaggeration with their claims.  NONE.

Get the one that fits your needs.  You wont be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts