Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been doing some research in this area and really want to fish it before I move out of Texas (July 2020). Are there any good launches on market street next to the Colorado river (FM 2031)? From the satellite pictures it looks like maybe a kayak launch or two on that road and I’m wondering if I could get my skiff launched from one to avoid making a huge run from Matagorda Harbor to the south shoreline where I’d like to fish. Thanks in advance I’m driving out there Monday most likely to check it out

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
I am between West Maddie and SA Bay if you ever want to fish that area. BTW, right now through the end of the year is some of the best fishing in the area!

Michael

·
Registered
472 Posts
2 or 3 launches on or near Caney Creek if you want to try that end of the bay. Short run from there via the ICW to the bay.

Reactions: Jred

·
I Love microskiff.com!
104 Posts
Launch at Charlie's or the Crab Trap in Sargent and cut into the bay at the Tripod cut. Much shorter run to the shoreline you want to fish....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
104 Posts
I’m talking about the first cut out of the icw from sargent that is super easy to navigate for someone that hasn’t been on that bay before...you surely know which one in talking about. It has that weird tripod looking thing just in the other side of the cut. I’ve never measured it, but I’m 95% sure it’s closer to that cut from Sargent than it is from matagorda harbor. Either way, I like putting in at Sargent because it’s less crowded.

I see now that the op is asking about a different part of the bay.

I just want to get my boat so I can go fish again.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I’m talking about the first cut out of the icw from sargent that is super easy to navigate for someone that hasn’t been on that bay before...you surely know which one in talking about. It has that weird tripod looking thing just in the other side of the cut. I’ve never measured it, but I’m 95% sure it’s closer to that cut from Sargent than it is from matagorda harbor. Either way, I like putting in at Sargent because it’s less crowded.

I see now that the op is asking about a different part of the bay.

I just want to get my boat so I can go fish again.
There are tripods all along that bay and even all the way to Oyster Lake. I think they used to mark the old ICW or some other channel before it possibly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I’ve been doing some research in this area and really want to fish it before I move out of Texas (July 2020). Are there any good launches on market street next to the Colorado river (FM 2031)? From the satellite pictures it looks like maybe a kayak launch or two on that road and I’m wondering if I could get my skiff launched from one to avoid making a huge run from Matagorda Harbor to the south shoreline where I’d like to fish. Thanks in advance I’m driving out there Monday most likely to check it out
What part of Texas are you moving to?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The tripod in @Finn Maccumhail 's link is where you want to cut through if launching anywhere in Sargent. It will still be about a 7 mile run to the south shoreline (done it many, many times)

If you launch at Matagorda Harbor it is about a 9 mile run to the south shoreline, so pick your poison.

Reactions: Jred
1 - 14 of 14 Posts