Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have personal experience running an EVOx with a 60 or 90 hp, Pros/Cons etc. of your engine choice? Please include motor brand, jack plate or no jack plate, performance, usual load out, area being used..... Thanks

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
I have a zuke 60 no jackplate. My prop is in crap condition from oysters and whatnot. I get up on plane very quickly, like you almost don’t notice any bow rise. It almost seems like when you hit the throttle you’re already on plane. I run top end about 35-37 depending on current and load and cruise at 4500 around 25-27mph.

Honest opinion is I think you’re wasting money and draft on the evox with anything other than a 60. The advantage of this skiff is the poling abilities in shallow water and what you give up in draft you don’t gain in tip end performance with the 90.

The only thing I would consider is a jackplate. When running wot, you have to trim the motor quite a bit to get to peak rpm, which means more tab because the engine is essentially pointing down which makes the bow hop. The tabs and the angle of the engine create drag which means you lose a little speed. A jackplate would add a little weight but not anything significant, but would get max performance out of your 60. It would also help in situations that you want to just putt putt out of a creek.

Having said all that, I won’t be adding one to my skiff. I’m fine with the speeds I’m seeing and performance I get. Plus I’ll take the ability to pole almost anywhere over being able to top out at like 43 mph.

Reactions: flysalt060

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a zuke 60 no jackplate. My prop is in crap condition from oysters and whatnot. I get up on plane very quickly, like you almost don’t notice any bow rise. It almost seems like when you hit the throttle you’re already on plane. I run top end about 35-37 depending on current and load and cruise at 4500 around 25-27mph.....
Great info and just the type I was looking for. Thank you.

Thanks for the link.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
281 Posts
I run an Evo X with a Zuke 90, home waters are Fernandina beach but fish Mosquito Lagoon, Louisiana and Big bend of Fl too. I'm not a one weekend a month 2 weeks a year fisherman. If you want to talk about the Evo X with 90 PM me you number and I'd be glad to spend some time answering questions and giving my opinion on that combo.

I just began playing with laser 2 props on the Evo X and with 22p prop get good holeshot and see 44.8 at WOT at 35mph I got 8.85mpg. I'd like to see a 60 post efficiency numbers like that!

As for poling, I pushed my X 4 days straight for 8-10hrs a day in the Mosquito Lagoon last week. The hull displaces weight just fine!

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
@Sheepdog5749 its 19’7” from the back of the motor to the tip of the bow. I have the removable tongue so it fits nicely in a 20’ garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts