Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

East Cape Skanu

199K views 886 replies 137 participants last post by  KurtActual 
#1 ·
What do you guys know about the skanu?
I dont see any posts here about it and little info on facebook and instagram.

#3 ·
The one Instagram post is all I've seen. Says they will be releasing info whenever they are ready for ordering and I assume production. Maybe Kevin will chime in and give us a few more tidbits. I'm interested in what size outboard it will be able to take. I imagine a 9.9hp will be plenty on it.

#6 ·
Kevin mentioned these to me a couple months back when I talked to him. I don't recall for certain the outboard power details so I don't want to say something incorrect there. But I do remember it him mentioning that they wanted to get back to their roots when they were more of a canoe company while at the same time providing a product for a lower price point of customer.

#12 ·
Probably takes the same amount of effort to transport/launch as a SUP but you can actually bring gear/a couple rods and keep them dry without having to create some crazy cooler rod holder contraption. Option to paddle or power, and the whole thing is like a big stripping bucket for your fly line. I really hope it is priced reasonably because I am in the market for something like this. I am curious to hear how long it is.....

#16 ·
This. I called Kevin, had to get the story from the man, it sounds like a really cool mini-skiff. They are targeting 70 lbs, hoping for less. Poling strakes, instead of a paddle boards skeg, means super low draft. Vacuum bagged, two piece build and a standard awl grip non skid. I think he said it's got a hatch forward and aft. The motor goes on the transom, no sponsons like a Solo-Skiff. Comes in four color options and priced about $3,000. It's EC so if you wanted anything special I'm sure it could be done. I forgot to ask about fly rod storage...

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures, I might want one.

#18 ·
My 13' aluminium canoe does the exact same thing this would do, is rated for the same hp and you could buy it new with a motor for about 2/3 the price. It also weighs 55 lbs. I feel like its a product that doesn't really solve any other problems besides that someone who wants a matching expensive canoe for their east cape skiff.

Just my 0.02.
https://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/models/S-13

#39 ·
I like the concept. From videos it looks like it is floating in 2” with one guy which is shallower than most everything out there. The front looks like it can take some small waves while staying dry. And I’m sure it was designed to pole well solo.

#44 ·
I appreciate companies being innovated and putting out new ideas and concepts and actually putting them into production. We are all on this site because its called microskiff because we are passionate about the crafts we fish from. I applaud east cape for bringing something to market that is different than what is out there today. Yes I am an east cape owner and there is a reason for that. I just hope one day I can own one of these.

#47 ·
Having fished several years in a kayak, I am very excited to get in a SKANU and give it a go. I think it is very dissimilar from all the things mentioned above. When I sight fish I like to get where I am going, get on the pole, and move as quietly as I can and as efficiently as I can. My kayak lacks the same things that the aluminum, solos, and whatever that thing is in the previous post lacks: convenient rod storage, comfortable poling, preferable deck layout and space, customization and good ole aesthetics. All the while, it still covers the basics: takes power, light, shallow, quality build. I really don't see a down side to it. If you don't need it then cool, but that doesn't take away from a pretty cool and well designed paddle/pole/power craft that would absolutely provide many advantages on the nearby flats here is Louisiana. This is my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.