Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

661 - 680 of 703 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
looking into motors so i am ready to go when the skanus start shipping, im leaning toward a 6hp. is that enough to get one of these on plane? most of the time ill have a few miles to cover to get where i want to fish so im hoping to see cruise speed 12-14mph with 200lbs of me and a pair of rods. is that reasonable or am i way off on what the skanu is capable of?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
looking into motors so i am ready to go when the skanus start shipping, im leaning toward a 6hp. is that enough to get one of these on plane? most of the time ill have a few miles to cover to get where i want to fish so im hoping to see cruise speed 12-14mph with 200lbs of me and a pair of rods. is that reasonable or am i way off on what the skanu is capable of?
It only has a hp rating of 3.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's only rated for 3hp. I'd look into the Salt Marsh Savannah if you want something similar that can handle more power.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
366 Posts
Looks like some other posters are thinking 3hp. max rating. I'd call Kevin at East Cape to get the specs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
9-11 mph was the prototype speed with a 3hp
We expect it to be the same or a tad faster since the bottom is wider which will allow for better planning...
We are following the rules/refs. the USCG gives us.
SUP/Push-Pole and maybe troller is what I’ll do with this. A lot of cool hybrid crafts but still the SKANU is different from many as well...
Just glad to be a choice among many!👊🏻😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
9-11 mph was the prototype speed with a 3hp
We expect it to be the same or a tad faster since the bottom is wider which will allow for better planning...
We are following the rules/refs. the USCG gives us.
SUP/Push-Pole and maybe troller is what I’ll do with this. A lot of cool hybrid crafts but still the SKANU is different from many as well...
Just glad to be a choice among many!👊🏻😎
i can probably live with 9-11 mph, thanks for the reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked with Kevin today about the Skanu, he’s full speed ahead to get this thing in our hands. Like many of you - I was a bit surprised when the roto Skanu deck was so different from the fiberglass prototype. I’m confident that we will be happy with the final product despite all of our questions/qualms. I think the functionality and customization options will be hard to beat.

Updates I can share:
-Trailer is in the works, would be sent to us unassembled via crate/pallet or picked up in person(can be assembled for a fee)

-They will offer a starboard type plate for “permanently” attaching your motor via thru-bolt.

-3HP is a “paddle craft” maximum per USCG

-seadek and hatches will attached by us

-lots of little Skanu specific attachments/accessories are in the hopper.

I can tell the thought and passion that has been put into this - we are going to be happy once we get this thing on the water.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dang! Kevin I think y’all got more time in this than your CC. 😂 It looks very expensive also to get to production. Curious about the technical side of this. What are those roto molds made from? Is that cast metal or a very heavy glass mold? A whole another ball game. When you are talking about molten plastics. Are the plastic pellets put in. Then melted? Or do they pour molten plastic in then rotate? This gonna be so much better than a kayak. I always hated being so low. You can’t sight fish good. Your legs cook in the sun. And my back would be killing me at the end of the day. Not to mention idiots in boats running you over. I will never own another kayak. This on the other hand 👌

·
Registered
354 Posts
Im ready to see the first one of these popped out already. Guess I need to start looking for a motor.

Reactions: S.C.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,172 Posts
Been spending some time with one of the fiberglass versions. This thing is fantastic. Very stable, a lot more than you might think. It paddles pretty good with a SUP paddle and paddles really well with an extra long kayak paddle (260cm-ish). Legit 3" draft so its skinnier than the fish you are after. The roto version is more stable, has two more poling strakes to help it track and has internal storage. Hard to believe they could improve on the original but it appears they have. Looking forward to getting a roto one wet...
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey @East Cape, when will the accessories options be added to the website? October-ish?
Trying to finish that up now but it may be mid October to load. It will be up before production starts. Hopefully getting more pics of the tooling this week as we have been getting updates every two weeks since they first started👊🏻

·
Registered
354 Posts
So if the accessories wont be up until mid October and that will be before production... us early orders are looking like Nov/Dec?

661 - 680 of 703 Posts