Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 703 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys know about the skanu?
I dont see any posts here about it and little info on facebook and instagram.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I cant figure out what it would do better than a (insert kayak company), BOTE, Live, or Solo Skiff already do well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
116 Posts
The one Instagram post is all I've seen. Says they will be releasing info whenever they are ready for ordering and I assume production. Maybe Kevin will chime in and give us a few more tidbits. I'm interested in what size outboard it will be able to take. I imagine a 9.9hp will be plenty on it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one Instagram post is all I've seen. Says they will be releasing info whenever they are ready for ordering and I assume production. Maybe Kevin will chime in and give us a few more tidbits. I'm interested in what size outboard it will be able to take. I imagine a 9.9hp will be plenty on it.
I thought I read some where they were doing it before MIBS which is tomorrow.

I thought I also read 3.5hp

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kevin mentioned these to me a couple months back when I talked to him. I don't recall for certain the outboard power details so I don't want to say something incorrect there. But I do remember it him mentioning that they wanted to get back to their roots when they were more of a canoe company while at the same time providing a product for a lower price point of customer.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
116 Posts
I thought I read some where they were doing it before MIBS which is tomorrow.

I thought I also read 3.5hp
3.5-4hp depending on the manufacturer seems about right to me. I just looked up some motor weights, and a 9.9 might be too much too. People were asking about a 15 on the Instagram post. I definitely don't think it can handle that much hanging off the back.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,874 Posts
I think it is a super cool concept. If someone is looking for a simple paddle craft that can double as a small skiff, there you go!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Probably takes the same amount of effort to transport/launch as a SUP but you can actually bring gear/a couple rods and keep them dry without having to create some crazy cooler rod holder contraption. Option to paddle or power, and the whole thing is like a big stripping bucket for your fly line. I really hope it is priced reasonably because I am in the market for something like this. I am curious to hear how long it is.....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
116 Posts
Probably takes the same amount of effort to transport/launch as a SUP but you can actually bring gear/a couple rods and keep them dry without having to create some crazy cooler rod holder contraption. Option to paddle or power, and the whole thing is like a big stripping bucket for your fly line. I really hope it is priced reasonably because I am in the market for something like this. I am curious to hear how long it is.....
It's 12'6" long.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
It’s rated for a 3.5 hp motor. The initial weight around 70 pounds, but Kevin said probably a little lighter. It looks like a sweet car topper to me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,514 Posts
It would make an awesome creek/river fly fishing boat. Small enough to maneuver with a paddle in current and keep a drift line, yet able to get you up current with the motor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It’s rated for a 3.5 hp motor. The initial weight around 70 pounds, but Kevin said probably a little lighter. It looks like a sweet car topper to me.
This. I called Kevin, had to get the story from the man, it sounds like a really cool mini-skiff. They are targeting 70 lbs, hoping for less. Poling strakes, instead of a paddle boards skeg, means super low draft. Vacuum bagged, two piece build and a standard awl grip non skid. I think he said it's got a hatch forward and aft. The motor goes on the transom, no sponsons like a Solo-Skiff. Comes in four color options and priced about $3,000. It's EC so if you wanted anything special I'm sure it could be done. I forgot to ask about fly rod storage...

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures, I might want one.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,134 Posts
My 13' aluminium canoe does the exact same thing this would do, is rated for the same hp and you could buy it new with a motor for about 2/3 the price. It also weighs 55 lbs. I feel like its a product that doesn't really solve any other problems besides that someone who wants a matching expensive canoe for their east cape skiff.

Just my 0.02.
https://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/models/S-13

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might be giving him a call soon
My 13' aluminium canoe does the exact same thing this would do, is rated for the same hp and you could buy it new with a motor for about 2/3 the price. It also weighs 55 lbs. I feel like its a product that doesn't really solve any other problems besides that someone who wants a matching expensive canoe for their east cape skiff.

Just my 0.02.
https://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/models/S-13
Id rather have a composite hull because its quieter and is easier to maintain in the salt
Also Id rather fix composite vs rivets or welds

1 - 20 of 703 Posts