Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poking around to see what I come up with.
Im going to be purchasing a new or slightly used skiff soon and I would like some input on a few.
I'm interested in a few different skiffs. I really like the Fury and the EVO, but would really like a 115 merc pro xs four stroke for power.
I see a lot of Fury’s with 60s, some evos with 90s.
I wouldn’t be opposed to a Marquesa or a Biscayne either.
All of that to say this: I fish some skinny water and I do like to pole when I can. I want the ability to run quick and far, handle some big water occasionally and can deal with 8-10” draft. My main thing is I fish small creeks, and need the ability to turn around, so I would like to stay 18’ and below. I’m interested if anyone has any info on a fury with a 115 four stroke (I know that surpasses its hp rating) i really think that’s the direction I may go. I’d like an EVO but they are hard to find. And I’m very familiar with the marquesa, just gotta find one I could afford.

lastly, any other skiffs you’d recommend in this category? I know these are all a bit different but you know what I mean... I’m not interested in a hpx-t...

thanks in advance for the help!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,020 Posts
I can’t see the need to put a 115 on a Fury. Mine has a 90 and hits 42mph with the stock Zuke prop. Mine is a side console and my draft ranges in the 7.5-8.5” range depending on load/fuel.
If you want to get skinny with a 115 I’d think you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
I can’t see the need to put a 115 on a Fury. Mine has a 90 and hits 42mph with the stock Zuke prop. Mine is a side console and my draft ranges in the 7.5-8.5” range depending on load/fuel.
If you want to get skinny with a 115 I’d think you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
Why is everyone in such a hurry?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not in a hurry. But I fish all over. Some areas require long runs, some areas I can fish 10 min from the ramp. I like the 115pro xs because I know a lot about the motor, and have a lot of confidence in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Not oppose to a 90 at all. I run a 90 now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,369 Posts
New EVO V fits your requirements for draft, speed, rough water ride but not availability. You can do all of that with a 90 and if you just have to, you can hang a 115 back there but you might lose some draft.
I can vouch for @TX_Brad ‘s Fury. Acceleration and cruise speed nuts. Hold on type acceleration and easy cruise in the 30’s although in moderate chop I thought mid to high 20’s was more comfortable.
Justin Prince has an EVOx with a Zuke 90 running mid to high 40’s.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe the 115 ProXS hits about 46 on the EvoV, and the EvoX top rated HP is a 90 as well. For 4 mph I could probably get a speed prop and be close, but I like to cruise at 36 which is a good speed for the Fury with little adjustment on the tabs.
The EvoV is going to draft a little more than the X anyways. You may gain in one area, but you’ll lose in another. Need to figure out which you want more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id love to find an EVO V but like you said.... that’s tough. But again speed isn’t my main concern at all.
they are all pretty quick behind the pickup, until you get stuck on I-4
I believe the 115 ProXS hits about 46 on the EvoV, and the EvoX top rated HP is a 90 as well. For 4 mph I could probably get a speed prop and be close, but I like to cruise at 36 which is a good speed for the Fury with little adjustment on the tabs.
The EvoV is going to draft a little more than the X anyways. You may gain in one area, but you’ll lose in another. Need to figure out which you want more.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure how set on brands you are but I'm currently building a BT Elite with a Zuke 90 and it fits all of your criteria listed above. Draft is 8-9" with a 90. Speeds will be in the low 40s. Very good rough water capabilties for a modified v. Not going to have quite the rough water capabilities as the Marquesa and the Biscane but will be more nimble on the pole. I have talked to a few guides before I pulled the trigger and everyone I talked to loves the boat, but you can't go wrong with any of the skiffs you are looking at. I agree that more than likely the 90 will be the better choice with everything except the Marquesa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure how set on brands you are but I'm currently building a BT Elite with a Zuke 90 and it fits all of your criteria listed above. Draft is 8-9" with a 90. Speeds will be in the low 40s. Very good rough water capabilties for a modified v. Not going to have quite the rough water capabilities as the Marquesa and the Biscane but will be more nimble on the pole. I have talked to a few guides before I pulled the trigger and everyone I talked to loves the boat, but you can't go wrong with any of the skiffs you are looking at. I agree that more than likely the 90 will be the better choice with everything except the Marquesa.
I’m not really set on brands. They all have good resale, and all poll good. I haven’t thought about the elite but I will definitely read up on it. Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Poking around to see what I come up with.
Im going to be purchasing a new or slightly used skiff soon and I would like some input on a few.
I'm interested in a few different skiffs. I really like the Fury and the EVO, but would really like a 115 merc pro xs four stroke for power.
I see a lot of Fury’s with 60s, some evos with 90s.
I wouldn’t be opposed to a Marquesa or a Biscayne either.
All of that to say this: I fish some skinny water and I do like to pole when I can. I want the ability to run quick and far, handle some big water occasionally and can deal with 8-10” draft. My main thing is I fish small creeks, and need the ability to turn around, so I would like to stay 18’ and below. I’m interested if anyone has any info on a fury with a 115 four stroke (I know that surpasses its hp rating) i really think that’s the direction I may go. I’d like an EVO but they are hard to find. And I’m very familiar with the marquesa, just gotta find one I could afford.

lastly, any other skiffs you’d recommend in this category? I know these are all a bit different but you know what I mean... I’m not interested in a hpx-t...

thanks in advance for the help!
I suggest you take a look at the new Floyd Skiff Co. 10wt. An 18 footer designed to run best with a Suzuki 90, and still draft 7". The owners, Brian and Heidi Floyd, encourage booking a test ride.
Check it out: https://www.floydskiff.com/

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When I was getting my build layed out I waffled a lot on the engine choice. And a guy I know said something that stuck with me and made my decision. And after having the boat for 4 months now he was spot on. I was going back and forth between a 60 and a 90. Ended up with a 60 and wouldn't go back. Here was his point.

Yes you give up a little speed but you gain draft and less weight to pole around. The difference in weight between the 60 and 90 Zuke is like 100 pounds. But how many times do you go out where you can really run WOT without beating yourself up?

The last thing was totally right. Sure there have been a few days when I've been on the water when I could have run faster. But there have been way more days when I was running as fast as I wanted to run with the 60 and still had power left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I was getting my build layed out I waffled a lot on the engine choice. And a guy I know said something that stuck with me and made my decision. And after having the boat for 4 months now he was spot on. I was going back and forth between a 60 and a 90. Ended up with a 60 and wouldn't go back. Here was his point.

Yes you give up a little speed but you gain draft and less weight to pole around. The difference in weight between the 60 and 90 Zuke is like 100 pounds. But how many times do you go out where you can really run WOT without beating yourself up?

The last thing was totally right. Sure there have been a few days when I've been on the water when I could have run faster. But there have been way more days when I was running as fast as I wanted to run with the 60 and still had power left.
That’s a great way to look at it! It’s almost always choppy here in NE FL but I can get out of most of it. I fish enough that I don’t really pick and choose nice days. I don’t mind fishing in bad conditions. I just want something dry with a good ride that floats relatively shallow. Like I said, I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I want but I like to hear some good opinions like these!

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,706 Posts

Definitely agree, but with one caveat -- the extra power is nice if you have a little extra load. You bring a couple buddies on board that want to fish bait, that's an extra 3-400 lbs plus a full live well. A little extra power is nice when you're loaded down and want to get up on plane quickly or if things get a little snotty.

Just gotta figure out how often that scenario happens, and if it's worth the extra 100 lbs of motor during all the times you don't really need it.

edit -- I would take a look at the 10wt. I drove the Lithium (the previous design to the 10wt) with a 50hp (fairly light load) and it behaved very well. I imagine the 10wt with a 90 might be similar to what you're looking for.

Never been in the Evo V or the Fury, but the Evo X runs very well with a 60 and a average load (2 guys, empty livewell).

·
Registered
152 Posts

It’s not always about wot with the bigger horse power. Quite a few areas I fish require some long runs (20-30 miles) and I prefer doing 33-35mph in the low 4K rpms instead of doing that at 6k. It’s about setting up the boat to your style of fishing. I had a 7” boat and to me loosing 2” of draft was not a big deal as most of the water I pole is 10”-3’. List all the features you want in a skiff and rank them according to importance and I’m sure you can figure out the skiff and outboard setup that works best for you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts