Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at potentially building one of these skiffs in the near future and wanted to see if anyone has experience with both as they seem to be pretty similar skiffs on paper (draft, size, capacity, deadrise, high freeboard, price) but have completely different hull shapes, different spray rails, poling strakes, etc... I'll definitely wet test both as well but wanted to get some general feedback on other differences first. TIA!

-Jon

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
I had an evoX built. Overall, great experience. Kevin and his crew were great through the whole process. I'm not sure what the build time is now but when I purchased mine they told me 6 months from deposit to the mold. Deposit in February and it hit the mold in august. Picked it up end of September. I went with the Yamaha 70, PP blade, offset trolling motor. If I were to do it again, i'd do it the same except I'd like to try the new EvoV. Performance wise I was between 34-36 before it started bouncing. I believe this was due to the setback on the jack plate from what I gathered from other owners. draft was a true 6.5-7. The floyd skiff is nice. I saw the prototype that islamarine did at the charleston shallow water expo several years back and the layout was nice. I have a friend in islamorada that has one and loves it but i've not been on it. Customer service is important to me. I can call Kevin and him pick up the phone, most recently as late after 9pm when he has time to catch up on emails and missed calls. I'd assume floyd being on the smaller scale, i'd be hard pressed to think you wouldn't get that from them as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Brian is no different than us. We both want the best for our customers and we both have an amazing product and service. Best bet is to visit/ride in them and go with your gut. I can’t imagine him being less than us in service since we are both working owners and hands on. Thank you for adding/keeping us on your short list as well!
~ Kevin

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback! I definitely plan on wet testing both. Definitely the best way to get an accurate feel for each skiff.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,258 Posts

Would love to review one of Kevin's Skiffs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,655 Posts
I've run both. I have a new EVOx and I wet tested a tunnel 10wt. I like both of them. While they might seem to have a different look to the hulls, they are very similar in performance. Both have higher freeboard and consequently, higher spray rails so they both are surprisingly dry running skiffs. Where the 10wt I tested and my X differ greatly is the hull deadrise. So while the 10wt I tested had a tunnel, there is more V in the hull moving forward than the X. What this translated to me is slightly less form stability when you first stepped on the boat and moved around vs the EVOx which has good form stability. I don't like to use the word tippy because it is too subjective. Anyway, as the hull leans, it stiffens up and it easy to move around. Neither boat will sink the rub rail with two guys on the same side. I noticed a slow roll moment as I moved around the 10wt and it didn't feel twitchy at all. Poling, it seemed like I had to push a little harder to get the boat moving and felt just a little heavier while poling vs my X but my X is a pretty light build. The 10wt tracked well and spun easily even being a tunnel, thanks to the generously rounded transom. The X tracks really well and this gives it a little edge with poling effort. Both the hull shape and the large poling strakes on the X really add to this. I ran the boat with a Merc 60r and found holeshot to be pretty good and top end to be mid to high 30's. It seemed like the prop was slipping a bit much, especially on take off which is probably why it squatted more than I thought it would. I have my EVOx pretty much dialed in for holeshot and skinny running. I am obviously biased towards East Cape (this is my 2nd one) but I've had the opportunity to run a lot of different skiffs so I like to think I can offer a pretty fair comparison between different skiffs. I really like the 10wt, almost as much as my X, lol. I think a really good comparison would be a non tunnel 10wt and the EVOv. I've only met Brian Floyd once but he was very open and engaging in conversation. Everything I've heard about him and the crew at Floyd Skiff co has been great. The customer service from East Cape is very well known and has always been top tier, near family like level of service.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Brian is no different than us. We both want the best for our customers and we both have an amazing product and service. Best bet is to visit/ride in them and go with your gut. I can’t imagine him being less than us in service since we are both working owners and hands on. Thank you for adding/keeping us on your short list as well!
~ Kevin
Well said Kevin way to not bash your completion I guess thats why you're going on 15 plus years building skiffs. I will say that Kevin has answered some of my questions and I am the second owner of my Gladesman so he didn't make a dime off me but what he did tell me is that now that I have an East Cape I am part of the family top notch in my opinion.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,890 Posts
Great response from Kevin. Brian Floyd is a fantastic guy as well -- he's given me advice during the course of my skiff build, which obviously doesn't benefit him in the least. I can't imagine you would go wrong with either company.

A caveat for my advice -- I have only ever fished an the EvoX, but I am familiar with the "style" of hull design found on the 10wt.

I think that (with similar power) the draft between the two is pretty close, with the edge going to the EvoX. I think that the ride of the 10wt will be a little better due to what @jay.bush1434 said about the sharper entry. The EvoX carries the flatter surface further forward, so your entry isn't as sharp. The tradeoff there is a little stability at rest, and possibly more load carrying capacity on the bow (although the 10wt seems to carry weight just fine). Both skiffs should be pretty quiet -- the 10wt softens the chines forward, where the EvoX just keeps the chines below the waterline. I haven't really looked at the 10wt tunnel, but the regular 10wt has a small pad at the stern which I really like, even if only for the slight draft it saves. I believe the EvoX is a 4* deadrise, and the 10wt is more of a 6-7* plus a small pad (not completely sure on that).

Overall, I think the 10wt would probably fall somewhere between the EvoV and EvoX (closer to the X than the V), if those are your measuring sticks. What areas are you fishing? What type of fishing do you do most often?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Great response from Kevin. Brian Floyd is a fantastic guy as well -- he's given me advice during the course of my skiff build, which obviously doesn't benefit him in the least. I can't imagine you would go wrong with either company.

A caveat for my advice -- I have only ever fished an the EvoX, but I am familiar with the "style" of hull design found on the 10wt.

I think that (with similar power) the draft between the two is pretty close, with the edge going to the EvoX. I think that the ride of the 10wt will be a little better due to what @jay.bush1434 said about the sharper entry. The EvoX carries the flatter surface further forward, so your entry isn't as sharp. The tradeoff there is a little stability at rest, and possibly more load carrying capacity on the bow (although the 10wt seems to carry weight just fine). Both skiffs should be pretty quiet -- the 10wt softens the chines forward, where the EvoX just keeps the chines below the waterline. I haven't really looked at the 10wt tunnel, but the regular 10wt has a small pad at the stern which I really like, even if only for the slight draft it saves. I believe the EvoX is a 4* deadrise, and the 10wt is more of a 6-7* plus a small pad (not completely sure on that).

Overall, I think the 10wt would probably fall somewhere between the EvoV and EvoX (closer to the X than the V), if those are your measuring sticks. What areas are you fishing? What type of fishing do you do most often?
Ageed on Brian as well he built the hatch for my Conchfish rebuild at no charge to me the boating community looks out for each other.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've run both. I have a new EVOx and I wet tested a tunnel 10wt. I like both of them. While they might seem to have a different look to the hulls, they are very similar in performance. Both have higher freeboard and consequently, higher spray rails so they both are surprisingly dry running skiffs. Where the 10wt I tested and my X differ greatly is the hull deadrise. So while the 10wt I tested had a tunnel, there is more V in the hull moving forward than the X. What this translated to me is slightly less form stability when you first stepped on the boat and moved around vs the EVOx which has good form stability. I don't like to use the word tippy because it is too subjective. Anyway, as the hull leans, it stiffens up and it easy to move around. Neither boat will sink the rub rail with two guys on the same side. I noticed a slow roll moment as I moved around the 10wt and it didn't feel twitchy at all. Poling, it seemed like I had to push a little harder to get the boat moving and felt just a little heavier while poling vs my X but my X is a pretty light build. The 10wt tracked well and spun easily even being a tunnel, thanks to the generously rounded transom. The X tracks really well and this gives it a little edge with poling effort. Both the hull shape and the large poling strakes on the X really add to this. I ran the boat with a Merc 60r and found holeshot to be pretty good and top end to be mid to high 30's. It seemed like the prop was slipping a bit much, especially on take off which is probably why it squatted more than I thought it would. I have my EVOx pretty much dialed in for holeshot and skinny running. I am obviously biased towards East Cape (this is my 2nd one) but I've had the opportunity to run a lot of different skiffs so I like to think I can offer a pretty fair comparison between different skiffs. I really like the 10wt, almost as much as my X, lol. I think a really good comparison would be a non tunnel 10wt and the EVOv. I've only met Brian Floyd once but he was very open and engaging in conversation. Everything I've heard about him and the crew at Floyd Skiff co has been great. The customer service from East Cape is very well known and has always been top tier, near family like level of service.
Great write up! Makes sense that the evox would be more stable with less of a V towards the bow. I wonder if this translates to a softer ride with the 10wt? Easier poling in the evo makes sense as well with the 10wt having a tunnel and assuming it's the heavier skiff.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That's interesting, I didn't know the 10wt had a small pad on the stern. I think the plumb like bow is supposed to help keep the bow above swell when doing something like staking out for tarpon? (Could be wrong on that) I mainly fish Pine Island sound, matlacha, boca grande, Chokoloskee areas and split my time searching for reds and snook in super shallow water, and tarpon fishing on the inside and outside. Looking for a little more big water capability without sacrificing too much draft.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,655 Posts
Great write up! Makes sense that the evox would be more stable with less of a V towards the bow. I wonder if this translates to a softer ride with the 10wt? Easier poling in the evo makes sense as well with the 10wt having a tunnel and assuming it's the heavier skiff.
I'll give the 10wt the nod for a softer ride in chop but the X has really surprised me. The 10wt cuts through the chop and with a little tab down, has a smoother feel while the X uses a good bit of tab and pushes the chop out of the way. The motion of the X is more sudden but in no way uncomfortable. Both boats offer a great ride for how shallow they can float.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Very glad to see this comparison! From
alllll the research iv done, these 2 skiffs seem to offer the best compromise between being able to pole sub 7” for tailing reds but also hit beachside tarpon without taking waves over the bow.
Knowing you might get bounced around in a chop is worth it to be able to pole 7” to me. And being dry in that chop is a bonus!
I’ll gladly take dry and skinny over a smooth ride.

If these boats truly draft sub 7” with 2 people and a very light load that’s amazing! Fishing countless negative tides at the same areas of @Jon Miller I can tell you there is a big difference between a 6.5” boat and an 8” boat. And that difference for me is what has gotten me on countless tailing and belly crawling redfish over the years.

Hope some more people with experience in these skiffs chime in with opinion on ride in a chop, true draft, poling ease, and dryness.

@jay.bush1434 Curious what you mean by “ pushes the chop out of the way”

·
I Love microskiff.com!
274 Posts
I've been running a non-tunnel Floyd 10wt in Tampa Bay since October. I put it through the paces this winter for reds and most recently beachside for tarpon. I have the Suzuki 90 and its a 7" draft and a 45mph WOT boat. You can likely get down to around a 6" draft with the Yamaha 70 or Suzuki 60. One of the driest skiffs I have been on and a soft ride for a 5 degree deadrise boat. It has plenty of freeboard for the beachside and is super quiet especially at the stern with the rounded transom corners. The hatch layout (including the floor anchor locker- which I can fit 2 anchors in) and the folding backrest/step up is very functional. I find it easy to pole for its size and it tracks well. The rigging is top notch as you would expect coming from Brian Floyd. Overall, I am impressed with the skiff so far.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been running a non-tunnel Floyd 10wt in Tampa Bay since October. I put it through the paces this winter for reds and most recently beachside for tarpon. I have the Suzuki 90 and its a 7" draft and a 45mph WOT boat. You can likely get down to around a 6" draft with the Yamaha 70 or Suzuki 60. One of the driest skiffs I have been on and a soft ride for a 5 degree deadrise boat. It has plenty of freeboard for the beachside and is super quiet especially at the stern with the rounded transom corners. The hatch layout (including the floor anchor locker- which I can fit 2 anchors in) and the folding backrest/step up is very functional. I find it easy to pole for its size and it tracks well. The rigging is top notch as you would expect coming from Brian Floyd. Overall, I am impressed with the skiff so far.
Great feedback! Do you have a jackplate with the 90? I'd be looking at going the same route with the 90 zuk with JP on either the evo or the 10wt and a sub 8" is my cutoff. How much tab/trim are you using normally? I currently drive my skiff with alot of tab and JP and very little trim adjustment.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,655 Posts
...Curious what you mean by “ pushes the chop out of the way”
The EVOx carries the hard chined bottom almost all the way to the bow so there isn't the typical smooth rounded bottom transitioning to a sharp V or rounded V entry in the bow. So to get the X to run smooth in the chop, you really need a lot of tab to keep the bow down and the boat running flat, keeping the bow knuckle in the water. This gives the boat the feeling that it is pushing the water out of the way rather than slicing through it like a sharp V bow. It's actually a very effective way of carrying buoyancy forward in the hull while still allowing it to have good ride characteristics in the rough stuff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
274 Posts
Great feedback! Do you have a jackplate with the 90? I'd be looking at going the same route with the 90 zuk with JP on either the evo or the 10wt and a sub 8" is my cutoff. How much tab/trim are you using normally? I currently drive my skiff with alot of tab and JP and very little trim adjustment.
No jack plate on mine. I use little tab/trim, but more so when I need the sharp entry to do its job when running in a head sea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts