Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So best I can figure is with the max hp on either you would draft 7” in the X and 9” in the V. Obviously the V will run rough more comfortably and the X will be more stable and draft a bit less. Currently running a bare bones Caimen that drafts sub 6”. I have honestly never measured. I will be fishing out of Choko a lot more and plan on running South a lot more. My tiller Caimen is dry but can be a little rough on my retiree fishing buds on longer trips. I have spent most my time fishing Naples / Marco which theres a hand full of spots only my type of boat can access. That said, of all the over slot fish I have ever caught I can’t for the life of me remember having to get there in ankle deep water to fish. Not that those spots didn’t produce keeper Reds or Trout. Choko and the way back bays up those rivers may be different but I honestly don’t know.

I fish primarily artificial and fly. Have been know to tip a jig with a bit of shrimp. Also have the 12v outlet for a home built livewell. Used when a certain friend fishes with me. I am happy to catch anything and everything. And have :)

So the question is if any of y'all have experience down that way please weigh in.

On a side note. Two captains that fish Choko and the Keys. One has the V and mentioned next boat will be the X. Another guide who has the V said he ran both and the V is the best choice. Both are fly guides. So it seems there are mixed reviews. Both said max HP.

And go....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
I can't answer to fishing down that way, but I do own an Evo X and am very happy with it. I have a 70 Yamaha (I think 90 is max hp, but I may not be remembering that right). The only advantage of the Evo is the rough water capability. But I have run the X is some snotty stuff and been quite comfortable. I know videos don't tell the whole story, but this is from yesterday running WOT in the ICW in NC. Hope this helps.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
281 Posts
I came out of a Lostmen into an X with 90 and I fish the same mud flats, sneak into the same creeks at low tide that I did with the Lostmen. Just may have to wait 10-15 minutes for the water to come up or get in before it drops. What I can do in the X that I wouldn't do in the Lostmen is fish the beach and jetties. To me the X was the happy median between the V and what I was coming out of, I still wanted to be able to pole the Mosquito Lagoon but wanted more speed/range and the rough water capabilities. The x is a good bit more stable than the V so if you are taking novice skiff guys fishing the X is a great platform. If you want to talk more about the skiffs send me your number in a PM and I'll gladly talk skiffs with you.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I can't answer to fishing down that way, but I do own an Evo X and am very happy with it. I have a 70 Yamaha (I think 90 is max hp, but I may not be remembering that right). The only advantage of the Evo is the rough water capability. But I have run the X is some snotty stuff and been quite comfortable. I know videos don't tell the whole story, but this is from yesterday running WOT in the ICW in NC. Hope this helps.

Ouch. That will make you pee. Little more tab maybe?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was replying to the tunnel comment. I run mine in rough water all the time with no problem. Sorry for the thread derail.
No apologies necessary. I love any and all feed back. I am actually in line for a boat from EC and didn’t even think about a tunnel. I edited the reply with a wink emoji to indicate playful behavior

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am very interested in the Evo vs Evo X discussion. If I were you, I would give the guides running them in choko a lot of credit but then you have differing opinions on that.

I have fished choko quite a bit:

- you can get out of Outdoor Resorts in both just fine, even the S-curve between the oysters. My 21' flats boat will do it and there are guides running 22-25ft bay boats there catching more fish than me too.

- on the inside out to the outer islands, no reason to need the V since it's pretty protected. There are very shallow mud flats inside of the outer islands where the X would be better

- however, it can get rough on the outside. A west wind makes for a long run down the coast if you're heading down to rivers between Shark River and Choko. It's a long run on a calm day in a 35 mph skiff. You can't see bottom in 18" of water there so unless you feel very confident in where the oysters and flats are, you may find yourself running more unprotected waters than protected waters. This means the V would be preferred... if not something even more robust like a Vantage, Marquesa or Egret.

Not trying to steer the conversation away from the Evo. I am eager to see where this goes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I am getting great feedback!!

Let me fill you in on specifics. It will be an East Cape as I have a non refundable deposit in. Needs to fit in the garage which would eliminate the Vantage. I have a smaller foot print than the standard 20’x20’. Already have a tiller and the older I get the more comfortable I want to be so getting a console. The only real choice ends up with the Evo.

Looking forward to more input!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Needs to fit in the garage which would eliminate the Vantage. I have a smaller foot print than the standard 20’x20’.
I'm considering the Evo for the same reasons.. damn small garages. Do you know what the total length required is presuming a swing or removable trailer tongue?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm considering the Evo for the same reasons.. damn small garages. Do you know what the total length required is presuming a swing or removable trailer tongue?
Not officially. I think Kevin said it would fit a 19’6” but I keep my Caimen in diagonally. Maybe someone on here can provide that information.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts