Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

East Cape building a drift boat/stream skiff?

7561 Views 153 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  csnaspuck
Just saw this on Instagram

Publication Font Poster Advertising Book cover
41 - 60 of 154 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Soon!

For everyone interested in checking the DRIFT, I'd encourage you to visit the Atlanta Hatch show the first weekend of February. Otherwise, shoot @Blue liner a message and get on his list. We will have several demo opportunities through the spring and summer, as well as some guided opportunities in the NC area.

You can always reach out to me as well, but Denny (Blue Liner) is our point of sale on this model.

Media release with full description is coming soon

Square back = skiff style. Horsepower rating is forthcoming. I believe we have already received our CG cert. All specs to be released after the press release.
Well dadbernit - I thought that was a joke. An outboard on a drift boat (is it really a drift boat then?). This thing gets more interesting by the minute. Shoot, now I'm thinking tunnel hull and jet drive.

I assume the poling platform goes over the outboard then, and the power poles won't interfere. Does the trolling motor got up front or in the back? Can it take a full tower or just half?

· Registered
2022 East Cape Hybrid 25 2012 East Cape Caimen
710 Posts
Well dadbernit - I thought that was a joke. An outboard on a drift boat (is it really a drift boat then?). This thing gets more interesting by the minute. Shoot, now I'm thinking tunnel hull and jet drive.

I assume the poling platform goes over the outboard then, and the power poles won't interfere. Does the trolling motor got up front or in the back? Can it take a full tower or just half?
I’m no Drift expert, but I am learning. Maybe Denny will weigh back in and explain it properly.

As I understand it, there are traditional drift boats (with two pointy ends), skiff style drift boats that are full rocker with a small square back for a small outboard for lake use or to make way back up rivers where possible, and then there are power drifters that can carry a larger jet outboard, run extremely shallow, and maneuver quickly up river.

The skiff style is probably the most versatile in most situations so we started there.

Again, this is a little out of my wheelhouse (pun intended) so don’t roast me if I’m off on my exact explanation. We were smart enough to bring a few experts in to the fold for this exact reason.

· Registered
710 Posts
Cool concept I remember Kevin talking about how much he enjoyed the mountains when he was building my rig. Never thought he would take something that direction but thats what I love about you guys. Best of luck!
East cape and a squirmy worm never thought those two things would go together 🤣
Tip of the iceberg buddy. We are going to shake up a lot of comfortable segments in the industry this year. This is the first. We have quite a few more surprises on deck this year, beyond the Drift and Open. The skiff world is about to get another good rattle as well, along with at least one more faction of the watercraft world. 😉

This is the most fun a person can have working! I love this job.

· Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
Amost 20 years it’s apparent we are a boat company focused on fishing...
This new offering is another example of us staying true to our roots. Big or small we have shown we do it all. A lot of new stuff coming for us as a company and for those areas we plan to target.
~ Kevin

View attachment 229342
Kev, You've come a long way since Casey Key! ;) Nice work! :cool:

Ted (aka BadSnook back in the day).

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tip of the iceberg buddy. We are going to shake up a lot of comfortable segments in the industry this year. This is the first. We have quite a few more surprises on deck this year, beyond the Drift and Open. The skiff world is about to get another good rattle as well, along with at least one more faction of the watercraft world. 😉

This is the most fun a person can have working! I love this job.
Do I smell intercoastal bass boat?

If not maybe you should have a look?

· Registered
273 Posts
Do I smell intercoastal bass boat?

If not maybe you should have a look?
I have a buddy who used to have a beautiful Ranger Z18 intercoastal - Got smashed by a driver who was texting instead of driving. He's never recovered and has never been happy that they don't make 'em anymore. You might be onto something here!

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Triton used to make one also and when I decided to buy my retirement boat a couple years ago I looked long and hard for one.

I wound up buying a Vexus bass boat and had them shoot it with the white polyurea liner they put in their bay boats. It beats the heck out of carpet in a bass boat IMHO.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Sky Tire Wheel Watercraft Automotive tire

Vehicle Boat Plant Watercraft Motor vehicle

· Registered
188 Posts
Drift boats are one thing I have never been around or fished where one would be needed. That said I would assume they run shallow rivers with lots of rocks. My question is how do they protect the bottom against damage. Airboats use polymer so is that used on drift boats also?

· Registered
710 Posts
Drift boats are one thing I have never been around or fished where one would be needed. That said I would assume they run shallow rivers with lots of rocks. My question is how do they protect the bottom against damage. Airboats use polymer so is that used on drift boats also?
Yes. Most new, high quality drift boats use an epoxy based coating such as Gator Glide or Frog Spit.

We took it further with our lamination. Carbon is extraordinarily strong and our lamination schedule is highly impact resistant even without a coating.

· Registered
578 Posts
I’m no Drift expert, but I am learning. Maybe Denny will weigh back in and explain it properly.

As I understand it, there are traditional drift boats (with two pointy ends), skiff style drift boats that are full rocker with a small square back for a small outboard for lake use or to make way back up rivers where possible, and then there are power drifters that can carry a larger jet outboard, run extremely shallow, and maneuver quickly up river.

The skiff style is probably the most versatile in most situations so we started there.

Again, this is a little out of my wheelhouse (pun intended) so don’t roast me if I’m off on my exact explanation. We were smart enough to bring a few experts in to the fold for this exact reason.
Your descriptions of the skiff style drift boat would actually be more of the dory style or traditional drift boat style, the skiff style drift boats actually have squared off ends forward and aft with low rocker designed for slower tail water rivers, any yes you can put a small motor on a drift boat but it tends to just plow water. Also that is usually frowned upon on pristine trout water , kind of like running a jet ski through your tarpon , bonefish or permit flats. However motors are usually welcome on drifters designed for Smallies or Muskys, been running drift boats for the last 25 years, and am lucky enough to live near the coast where the normal poling skiff is utilized weekly and now only running the drift boat to the mountains a few times a year, whatever EC comes up with should be nice, they’ve been talking about it for quite a few years now

· Registered
710 Posts
I have only had the opportunity to do a few guided float trips in Colorado, NC, and GA. It is a lot of fun. On a trip in September on the lower Colorado a few years back, I caught over 60 trout on fly in a day, up to 24" and I strip set/lost at least that many more! 😂

Of course I came home trout setting salt fish. It is not an easy transition but it is a great experience. You should give it a go!

** Worth mentioning. Trout are slippery
Water Sky Sunglasses Goggles Boat

Sunglasses Plant Sky Goggles Fisherman

Sky Goggles Sunglasses Water Outdoor recreation

Water Sky Sleeve Outdoor recreation Lake

Sky Plant Vertebrate People in nature Water

Water Sky Vertebrate Sleeve Lake

Sky Water Black-and-white Outdoor recreation Fish

Water Sky Boat Plant Mountain

Tire Wheel Sky Mountain Car

· Registered
710 Posts
Your descriptions of the skiff style drift boat would actually be more of the dory style or traditional drift boat style, the skiff style drift boats actually have squared off ends forward and aft with low rocker designed for slower tail water rivers, any yes you can put a small motor on a drift boat but it tends to just plow water. Also that is usually frowned upon on pristine trout water , kind of like running a jet ski through your tarpon , bonefish or permit flats. However motors are usually welcome on drifters designed for Smallies or Muskys, been running drift boats for the last 25 years, and am lucky enough to live near the coast where the normal poling skiff is utilized weekly and now only running the drift boat to the mountains a few times a year, whatever EC comes up with should be nice, they’ve been talking about it for quite a few years now
Thanks for the knowledge drop! I am learning! It does also seem that the west coast Drift guys have a little different vernacular than the East Coast guys. Maybe Drifter will weigh in on this, as he guides out of Bozeman.

Reactions: SC on the FLY

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m getting more and more excited about this new skiff style drift boat! Carbon hull with some sort of lamination helps slide over rocks and eliminates future repair work.

Can’t wait to see the interior layout! Assuming will have rod trays. My adipose has locking storage and I️ love this when parking in towns for beers, dinner etc.

One of my biggest challenges is older clients tripping as they walk in and out of boat. Maybe lower sides and flatter floor?

I️ recently told a friend (EVOx Skiff owner) that drift boats are ripe for major improvement and I️ think Kevin and EC discovered this opportunity.

I️ feel that this skiff will be Boulder Boat Works meets Adipose Flow with an EC flair!

· Registered
5 Posts
Was thinking more about lower gunnels. We often backup with the stern on the shore so likely a bit difficult to design a door. Something that would be helpful is clear places to step as you get in and out. Seems hard to believe but falls happen a lot getting people in and out.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Can’t wait to see the interior layout! Assuming will have rod trays. My adipose has locking storage and I️ love this when parking in towns for beers, dinner etc.

One of my biggest challenges is older clients tripping as they walk in and out of boat. Maybe lower sides and flatter floor?
I’m looking to purchase my first drift boat and what I would like to see is clear floors as well.

I’m not getting any younger and climbing around in a drift boat is a bit of a pain in the ass. Most of that pain comes in the form of size 14 wading boots and being 6’4”.

Stationary seat boxes take up a bunch of room. I want clear floors and coolers to sit on. That way when you’re up fishing you can kick it out of the way.

· Registered
36 Posts
Was thinking more about lower gunnels. We often backup with the stern on the shore so likely a bit difficult to design a door. Something that would be helpful is clear places to step as you get in and out. Seems hard to believe but falls happen a lot getting people in and out.
Pavati makes drift boats with doors. Most people don't need, or want, one of the big west coast style rigs though.

(EDIT) Steelheaders are nuts, but they row some nice rigs.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts