Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

East Cape building a drift boat/stream skiff?

7532 Views 152 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Hank
Just saw this on Instagram

Publication Font Poster Advertising Book cover
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Looks tippy

Trippy 😃

seriously though. Should I hold off on ordering a raft ?
What are you wanting to do with your boat? Some rivers are better suited to drift boats. Skiffs. Rafts.
i have a raft and have had others. I also own a hyde pro series Xl. Kinda a half Mackenzie style drift boat and skiff in one……has a 8ft flat spot in the middle of the boat instead of a full rounded Mackenzie style. For me I float the androscoggin river which is a very big wide river that has many shallow riffles, large flat slow areas, no big whitewater, and afternoon winds that always pick up. A flat, more skiff like drift boat serves me very well. It is low and less affected by wind, forward rows excellent through slow sections, and is very stable. A raft however, is great in tough launch situations and whitewater. But they anchor and row dismal compared to a hard boat.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,214 Posts
What are you wanting to do with your boat? Some rivers are better suited to drift boats. Skiffs. Rafts.
i have a raft and have had others. I also own a hyde pro series Xl. Kinda a half Mackenzie style drift boat and skiff in one……has a 8ft flat spot in the middle of the boat instead of a full rounded Mackenzie style. For me I float the androscoggin river which is a very big wide river that has many shallow riffles, large flat slow areas, no big whitewater, and afternoon winds that always pick up. A flat, more skiff like drift boat serves me very well. It is low and less affected by wind, forward rows excellent through slow sections, and is very stable. A raft however, is great in tough launch situations and whitewater. But they anchor and row dismal compared to a hard boat.
Man I’d love to float the Androscoggin some day!!!

I’d need a raft for small streams with tough launches …..but I may wait to see what this one looks like. If it’s a micro drifter that’s light and easy to launch from the bank with low draft it just may be the ticket.

· Registered
2022 East Cape Hybrid 25 2012 East Cape Caimen
710 Posts
Looks tippy

Trippy 😃

seriously though. Should I hold off on ordering a raft ?
Fully infused, carbon fiber. It is a game changer. Cliff drops are about to get a lot easier!

· Registered
710 Posts
The teaser on Instagram said something along the lines of "Reinventing the 2-Stroke."

Get it?

As a middle-aged Dad, I respect that.
Kevin does have the dad jokes. 😂

· Registered
710 Posts
Got my attention.
Such a boat has been on my mind for a long time.
I’d love to have a rowing skiff built for gentle rivers back east.
if you don’t already, follow us on social media. We have a few very experienced guides testing this model with great feedback. It will be available for guides soon.

It is a very cool concept.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts