Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard it from a birdie that East Cape is coming out with a Carbon Evo. Happy New Year!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
289 Posts
Lol...not quite. But you could always have gotten a carbon Evo. I'm sure once the info is out the other builders are going to follow suit though, dropping 70-100lbs from a skiff without changing the layup or charging the customer more $.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What prinjm6 is referring to is called the Black Ops Package (no extra cost) and as he says offers a significant weight savings for those looking for a lighter build.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well you’ve got early adopters, main stream folks, and late adopters for everything. And you’ve got folks that are averse to change. And there’s probably folks that don’t need a lighter boat, and some that actually want a heavier boat for a better ride in rough water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Yes I do not understand Why someone wouldn’t do it, seems odd to offer as an option. Chittum uses some carbon on all builds and then has two optional carbon packages that further reduce weight and increase cost.
It is just another inside the hull finish option they offer; black ops, Awlgrip, gel coat. It just happens to be the lighter weight option and no extra cost vs Awlgrip or gel coat.
The only downside I could possibly see from the black ops is that the inside of your boat is black, which could make it difficult to see things down in the bilge. My Vantage has a full gloss white Awlgrip finish inside the hull and it doesn't really make much difference, just easy to wipe down. My new EVOx will have the black ops.

Regarding the initial post, East Cape is releasing a redesigned EVOv. Add the black ops to the new EVOv and it is a very cool boat. I considered the V before deciding on the X for shallower draft. Carbon and Kevlar construction have always been an option for any East Cape boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
what happened to the first style Evo they built? I saw just a handful built initially then nothing after that..all Evox’s.
The original V’s had a few oddities with the hull that made for some weird handling, hence the reason they a went to more Evo X. The new redesigned V looks like a great boat I would like to see more on it soon hopefully.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Curious about the approximate cost for a new EVOx with this Black Ops package?
$40k's. Watch some of the EVOx videos on the East Cape Youtube channel. They mention ballpark prices just about everytime.

Reactions: DBStoots

·
will pole for food
964 Posts
The original V’s had a few oddities with the hull that made for some weird handling, hence the reason they a went to more Evo X. The new redesigned V looks like a great boat I would like to see more on it soon hopefully.
thanks that’s what I figured...they fell off the face of the earth & knew it wasn’t bc people were favoring the x model...If that were true, we would’ve still seen one or two original Evo’s built, but that wasn’t the case.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not a diss to East Cape as those guys make beautiful skiffs and make a living doing something I could only dream of but, the Evo v was the weirdest handling skiff I have ever driven. When coming out of turns it rolled on its axis from one side all the way to the other. It made for a pretty sketchy ride. Glad to hear they have done some redesigns as it’s a really pretty skiff and East Cape hands down makes the nicest live wells in the industry in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts