Early suzuki's?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by kooker, Mar 30, 2010.

1. kooker

kooker I Love microskiff.com!

Looking at a 30 hp suzuki, early 90's. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on these. Also, does anyone know the weight of one of these? The guy says it has a couple hundred miles on it, but this thing looks really clean. Should I stay away from it since it has a couple hundred miles?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.iboats.com/Suzuki/bpe/20br2239

3. kooker

Thanks for the link, very helpful!  Now on to the engine hours thing.  Is a couple hundred engine hours bad for an outboard such as this one?

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Couple hundred miles? or hours? Either way, she's barely broken in.
    Have it looked at by a professional mechanic if you don't have the knowledge
    to check the outboard's mechanical and electrical components yourself.

5. kooker

I meant hours. Sorry about that.

6. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

An outboard is supposed to be good for 2,000 hours the way the Gheenoe guys treat them. I know some crabbers that claim 4 times that much on the mid-range Suzukis.

Anyone else notice how many crabbers run Suzukis?

Best regards,
    Frank_S

7. Amsoil_Man

Amsoil_Man I Love microskiff.com!, And it Loves me back!

I got a 1992 DT25 with a few hours on it and it runs like a champion.

Who's to say that motor wasn't beat to absolute poo WOT all the time.

Zing dinging it.

8. DSampiero

DSampiero working for the rewards...

As I recollect(which is leaving room for error), not a single commercial crabber, oyster or clam man uses 'zukes In St. Johns County, the main reason being that they are (according to a local dealer) "Hard to get."  I personally love Suzuki products, they're well engineered, easy to work on and rarely need said work(see: user error). The inshore commercial industry up here seems to favor Honda and Yamadogs. my $.02 

9. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

My pqart of the family are commerical fishermen and been running merc opti's in the past and now they are running 140hp and 200hp zuki's 4-stroke. I have seen few of suzukis took some serious abuse in the lower unit with missing skeg and parts of s.s props. As it is still running on the water about 3 years now without any problems.

15-30hp zuke 2-stroke are strong powerful motor. I don't like portable zuke 4-strokes.

Only 140 and 200hp zukes are the best.

10. kooker

Like many things, (such as girls) looks are deceiving. I went to go check this thing out and the lower unit was all sorts of messed up. So I decided to pass with this outboard. On the lookout for a nice outboard in the 20-30hp range. Let me know if you want me to possibly take some things off your hands. Thanks guys