Early Flats Guide Books

Discussion in 'The Beginnings' started by cslascro, May 22, 2012.

1. cslascro

cslascro I Love microskiff.com!

Check it out, a new post in The Beginnings!

I'm wondering if any of you guys have some great suggestions of non-fiction and/or memoir books by flats fisherman. I have Bimini Twists, Ben Taylor's Fly Fisher's Guide and Chico's Bonefish book. I'm really looking more for books that tell the history of fishing the Keys backwaters.

I've been trying to get a fresh copy of Flip Pallot's book, Mangroves and Memories, I think. My dad had it when I was a kid, but I'd like to get a copy of my own to have around the house. I was watching one of the WCC episodes over the weekend and was reminded of the way that guy has with words.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Very little at my local library or bookstores.
    But Amazon carries about every title I've wanted, delivered to my door.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=florida+keys+fishing

Stu Apte, Doug Kelly, John Cole, Thom McGuane

3. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

My favorite book of any genre is Marquesa by Jeffrey Cardenas. Although He retired from guiding about a year ago, the book is not about guiding, but a solo trip he made to Marquesas.
    Brett referred to Thomas McGuane; his The Longest Silence is a great read as well.

grovesnatcher likes this.
  4. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

Check out anything by joe brooks

5. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

6. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Mount Pleasant, SC

Anyone have a copy of Marquesa by Jeffrey Cardenas I could borrow?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

One of the first books ever written about guiding was 92 in the Shade by McGuane

Frank_Venable likes this.
  8. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

Dingo,

I have one from the first printing of, I think, 1500 copies in 1995 while on vacay in Marathon. Hate to sound like an asshole, but I'm not letting the book out of my sight. First of all it's one of the best books I have every read. May sound corny, but it helped to point me toward a whole different outlook on life's journey; life's too short to not enjoy it.

I found a second copy in Idaho a couple of years later, loaned it to a friend in the Bahamas and never saw either him or the book again. I also have his Sea Level which is not near as good.

There are second edition copies for sale on Amazon for $100-$1200 or so. Next time you're in the mood to buy some new gear, buy the book instead. BTW, I called Jeffrey 5 or 6 years ago to book a trip, but he said he was no longer guiding and at that moment he was heading off to Cuba. I hope he gets back to writing.

9. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Mount Pleasant, SC

No worries, after checking out Amazon and Ebay I couldn't believe how much this book was going for! Made some calls and found a copy from a family friend.

10. TylertheTrout2

TylertheTrout2 Well-Known Member

I got both 'Marquesa' and 'Sea Level' by Jeff Cardenas on Amazon Kindle, have read them both multiple times...would love to stumble upon the actual books!

11. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  12. kensfl

kensfl I Love microskiff.com!

George Hommell has one: Those Were The Days: The Life and Times of a Florida Keys Fishing Guide. $12.99 through Amazon Prime.

TylertheTrout2 likes this.
  13. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Just started this one. It seems like a good quick read with a lot of photos of George Bush fishing in the keys.

14. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Keep your eyes open on eBay and Amazon. After looking for a long time, I recently found a 1st addition on Amazon for $125 in new condition...great buy. It is signed by Jeffrey and the illustrator.

15. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Just found this thread and thought I'd toss out a few authors/ titles worth a read... As a guy who's lent out books that never came home... I can sympathize with anyone not wanting to let go of a fishing book that pointed them along the way...

16. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

I'm not a collector and I'm never likely to own any first editions - but in today's world if you look around a bit you might find some interesting reads on our passion - whether you fly fish, or make your own lures - or just want to learn a bit from folks that are long gone...

First I'll list a few basic books on fly tying or lure crafting that helped me on my way some years ago...
    FLY-TYING MATERIALS Eric Leiser
    procuring, using, and protecting mostly natural materials
    TACKLE CRAFT C. Boyd Pfeiffer
    all the basics to repair a rod, make a lure, repair a net (and info about every portion of hand crafting your own lures, etc.)

Next info on fly fishing

FLY FISHING IN SALTWATER Lefty Kreh
    (published in 1974, it came out two years before I built my first fly rod..)

Stu Apte's FISHING IN THE FLORIDA KEYS
    lent my first edition to someone and it never came home -I have the second edition

MODERN FRESH AND SALT WATER FLY FISHING Charles Waterman
    I don't think I've ever seen another copy of this book - he was a prominent outdoor writer for many years (and in every magazine you can name...). He and his wife spent winters in the 10K area back in the 1960's when the Tamiami Trail was the place to be if you wanted to toss a fly at big snook - on foot.... I faithfully copied some of his patterns when I was first learning to tie my own flies. Much of his advice is still valid today....

PRACTICAL FISHING KNOTS Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh
    I have the second edition - lent the first -you can figure out the rest.
    This was my bible when I was learning light tackle fishing, period. It came out before superbraids came on the scene - but still has things to teach...

THE SWAMP Michael Grunwald
    Must reading for anyone that cares about the Everglades - it's a relatively modern book detailing man's work changing the 'Glades in the last 500 years... Although it's a history up to recent years it reads like a good novel.
    I couldn't put it down....

Boneheaded likes this.
  17. KRohdeIV

KRohdeIV Well-Known Member

Been looking for Marquesa ebook for the last hour or so and can not find it anywhere. Any body have a link or a source to read it without spending an arm for a hard copy?

18. Roger_Cook

Roger_Cook I Love microskiff.com!

I can't find it either.