Early Flats Guide Books

Discussion in 'The Beginnings' started by cslascro, May 22, 2012.

1. cslascro

cslascro I Love microskiff.com!

Check it out, a new post in The Beginnings!

I'm wondering if any of you guys have some great suggestions of non-fiction and/or memoir books by flats fisherman. I have Bimini Twists, Ben Taylor's Fly Fisher's Guide and Chico's Bonefish book. I'm really looking more for books that tell the history of fishing the Keys backwaters.

I've been trying to get a fresh copy of Flip Pallot's book, Mangroves and Memories, I think. My dad had it when I was a kid, but I'd like to get a copy of my own to have around the house. I was watching one of the WCC episodes over the weekend and was reminded of the way that guy has with words.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Very little at my local library or bookstores.
    But Amazon carries about every title I've wanted, delivered to my door.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=florida+keys+fishing

Stu Apte, Doug Kelly, John Cole, Thom McGuane

3. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

My favorite book of any genre is Marquesa by Jeffrey Cardenas. Although He retired from guiding about a year ago, the book is not about guiding, but a solo trip he made to Marquesas.
    Brett referred to Thomas McGuane; his The Longest Silence is a great read as well.

grovesnatcher likes this.
  4. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

Check out anything by joe brooks

5. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

6. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Mount Pleasant, SC

Anyone have a copy of Marquesa by Jeffrey Cardenas I could borrow?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

One of the first books ever written about guiding was 92 in the Shade by McGuane

Frank_Venable likes this.
  8. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

Dingo,

I have one from the first printing of, I think, 1500 copies in 1995 while on vacay in Marathon. Hate to sound like an asshole, but I'm not letting the book out of my sight. First of all it's one of the best books I have every read. May sound corny, but it helped to point me toward a whole different outlook on life's journey; life's too short to not enjoy it.

I found a second copy in Idaho a couple of years later, loaned it to a friend in the Bahamas and never saw either him or the book again. I also have his Sea Level which is not near as good.

There are second edition copies for sale on Amazon for $100-$1200 or so. Next time you're in the mood to buy some new gear, buy the book instead. BTW, I called Jeffrey 5 or 6 years ago to book a trip, but he said he was no longer guiding and at that moment he was heading off to Cuba. I hope he gets back to writing.

9. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Mount Pleasant, SC

No worries, after checking out Amazon and Ebay I couldn't believe how much this book was going for! Made some calls and found a copy from a family friend.

10. TylertheTrout2

TylertheTrout2 Well-Known Member

I got both 'Marquesa' and 'Sea Level' by Jeff Cardenas on Amazon Kindle, have read them both multiple times...would love to stumble upon the actual books!

11. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  12. kensfl

kensfl I Love microskiff.com!

George Hommell has one: Those Were The Days: The Life and Times of a Florida Keys Fishing Guide. $12.99 through Amazon Prime.

TylertheTrout2 likes this.
  13. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Just started this one. It seems like a good quick read with a lot of photos of George Bush fishing in the keys.

14. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Keep your eyes open on eBay and Amazon. After looking for a long time, I recently found a 1st addition on Amazon for $125 in new condition...great buy. It is signed by Jeffrey and the illustrator.