Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run their skiff in E Matagorda? Where do y’all launch from, to get to the south shoreline?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely understand.

I was looking at it on the map, and I guess you have to run east on the ICW and through the cut to get on the bay. From there, it’s free for all!

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I completely understand.

I was looking at it on the map, and I guess you have to run east on the ICW and through the cut to get on the bay. From there, it’s free for all!
Yep, run out of Old Gulf Cut and watch for reefs and pipes when running across. There are a few mid bay reefs and that whole bay is about 5’ deep.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I sight fished it heavily when I had my skiffs (2006 through 2016). I generally launched from the county ramp on the ICW and ran west to the "tripod" to cut into the bay. I have also launched from various ramps on Caney Creek. There are some special spots that you will just have to learn, but the entire south shoreline can produce. I haven't fished it lately so I have no idea how the grass is doing on the south shoreline.

Reactions: sjrobin and dux20

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
@dux20 Your username reminds me that a lot of the prime fall sight fishing in East Matagorda and all up and down the coast coincides with duck season. It can get frustrating, but I give the hunters a WIDE berth( ie I'll give them the whole shoreline). They deserve their space just as much as I do. Besides, in the fall there isn't quite the emphasis for fly fishers to get on the water at the crack of dawn. On a sunny fall day, most of the hunters will be gone when the sun gets higher in the sky.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@dux20 Your username reminds me that a lot of the prime fall sight fishing in East Matagorda and all up and down the coast coincides with duck season. It can get frustrating, but I give the hunters a WIDE berth( ie I'll give them the whole shoreline). They deserve their space just as much as I do. Besides, in the fall there isn't quite the emphasis for fly fishers to get on the water at the crack of dawn. On a sunny fall day, most of the hunters will be gone when the sun gets higher in the sky.
Good point! Lots of duck hunters in EMB, both by boat and shore. I waited till 9 one day this fall and passed lots of hunters on their way in while I was headed out. Skipped a couple coves I wanted to fish because I saw boats by blinds. Eased into an open cove on my trolling motor only to have some guys stand up out of the spartina. They called in a boat to come get them that had been out fishing a mid bay reef. Felt bad for buzzing their spread, but when they're in camo in a blind or the grass how are you supposed to know?

I try and give them as much space as I can because they have a limited season (and they're armed).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Had a kayaker that kept paddling almost into our spread one year. He left shortly after the first group decoyed. :rolleyes:
I guess he didn't see the jon boat 100 yards down the shoreline and 2 guys sitting behind 150 decoys in an obvious blind.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,061 Posts
These are the days of internet potlickers, just paranoid I guess.
The harbor is the best ramp and parking lot. It’s on the left as you drive in to Matagorda, can’t miss the sign.
This is true but it depends on where you're coming from. I launch at the county ramp on the ICW at Sargent because Matagorda Harbor is at least another 45 minutes for me from Houston.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
This is true but it depends on where you're coming from. I launch at the county ramp on the ICW at Sargent because Matagorda Harbor is at least another 45 minutes for me from Houston.
Same here. In all of these years, I've never launched from the harbor. On calm days, I might end up all the way down at the west end, and that makes for a LONG run back to the county ramp on the ICW. But the same would be true if I was launching from the harbor and running to the east end and have to go back to the harbor.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
I think I have fished Matty twice in the last 40 years. Do you mind sharing where that ramp is near Sargent? I live up in North Houston, so anything on the coast is a long way drive for this old codger. I might want to give Matty a try sometime this Winter after I get back to TX. PM is fine if you don't want to spread the word. thank you.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think I have fished Matty twice in the last 40 years. Do you mind sharing where that ramp is near Sargent? I live up in North Houston, so anything on the coast is a long way drive for this old codger. I might want to give Matty a try sometime this Winter after I get back to TX. PM is fine if you don't want to spread the word. thank you.
There are a couple of ramps on Caney Creek. Caney Creek Marina (might be called Wahoo's now) and Charlies. The ramp we are referring to on the ICW you get to by crossing the swing bridge on then follow the road east. If you launch on the creek be careful on the section I have the star by. It can get shallow and I have no idea anymore of what is the preferred side to run it on. Or better yet, just hit me up when I finish my skiff. I'd be happy to take you.

sargent.PNG

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
Thanks, I have saved Wahoo's to my maps so I can find somewhere to launch should I decide to go that far in the Fall. Also, thank you for your kind offer. I'll be back in late October, so you have some time to work your baby. Ha Ha, rich

p.s. Just checked the time from my Houston house, at 2 hours and 8 minutes. Yikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts