Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Would love to see pictures of what they look like concealed. I am assume yall are hunting away from the boat?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, I use the boat for strategic bird flaring from where I don't want them to land.

I set decoys from the boat, then go park it and use a kayak or walk back over to where I hunt. Success doing this is way higher than when I would hunt the same areas from a boat blind.

I probably said too much as I rely on boat blinds, mud motors, and fisherman to send the birds to the small pockets I hunt.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
The Duck Dynasty wannabes will insist that boat blinds and mudmotors don’t flare ducks (they don’t realize that you have to bait ducks if you don’t want them to flare from boat blinds and mudmotors). I grew up knowing that they flared ducks, but I tried a boat blind for a season to see if I was wrong; I wasn’t.

Nate

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
I prefer to hunt out of the boat as much as possible. If I do stay in, it's I prefer a small one and use palm fronds. Much better than anything you can buy for $500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In a sea of camo Jon boats at a freshwater ramp an 18ft flats boat really stands out, but sure works well!
Also a push pole is about the handiest thing to have for picking up decoys.
Any one else shoot any this morning?

I only hunt in the boat when the wife is sitting in the front, but it does hide well. The Florida Mallard is real good Deep fried. Still have birds in the Glades

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Those of you with the more typical and brighter poling skiffs to Camo them? im trying to do an open water hunt and am worried bout not shooting cuz im in a skiff. I have Camo tarps to use but idk if that's enough

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those of you with the more typical and brighter poling skiffs to Camo them? im trying to do an open water hunt and am worried bout not shooting cuz im in a skiff. I have Camo tarps to use but idk if that's enough
Replied to your other thread as well but here is what I have found hunting from my boat.

Do everything possible to hunt outside of the boat, I use my boat as transport and will either bring along a kayak to hunt with once decoys are set or even better hunt in waders if the depth/bottom will allow.

You can strategically park your boat in places to flare birds to your location, example parking a few turns down a creek to avoid birds landing there.

Open water divers are not terribly boat shy but overall ducks are much more afraid of large camo fast grass boxes than they are a white flats boat.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Open water is a totally different game. Make yourself into a floating weed patch and ducks won't come near you. They know what that is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second the bringing a kayak or layout method, however I've shot just as many out of my white flats boat. They really don't expect to be shot at from a normal looking boat but a high profile boat blind will spook them every time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts