Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I just purchased a SaltMarsh 1656 and was looking to possibly build or buy a duck blind set up to hunt ducks with. Does anyone have any pictures of their setups or could recommend where to find a blind. Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
DO NOT USE A BLIND, birds learn fast that the fast grass boxes are not good.

Low profile with natural vegetation is key.
I agree with that. I use my boat for transportation only 9 out of 10 times. But I hunt flooded timber, and when I do need it, I can back it up in the trees under the canopy and hide. I'd rather stand in knee deep water next to a tree, but that doesn't always pan out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice skiff! I love those Salt Marsh boats. I have tried several blinds throughout the years but I find that the low profile of burlap and a few palm fronds to break up the outline works best. You can still hunt in the boat, just get down low when the birds are coming. I have had better success ditching the skiff and hunting a few hundred yards away from it though...

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,158 Posts
I'm new to duck hunting and have heard this, however what's the best way to stash/hide so it's not flaring birds?
use it to your advantage and park the boat in an adjacent spot the birds like to land so they are more likely to come back to you.
I usually put a small kayak in to use as transportation from where I park to where I hunt.

if you must cover the boat I have found camo burlap, the more weathered and gross the better, the best option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.