Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thinking of hunting out of my Action Craft this winter and entertaining different options of concealing it. I know typically people will park the boat away from where they are hunting but for where I want to hunt in Virginia, hunting out of a boat is a necessity

The boat has a white deck with red sides so not the easiest to conceal. I am wondering if anyone here has had luck with either the manufactured blinds (Beavertail, Mud Buddy, Avery etc) or a home-made blind on their flats boats. I think even the manufactured blinds would require some extra camo canvas for the poling platform, center console and the sides of the boat but I'm okay adding some work into it.

Would mostly be using for divers so it doesn't have to be perfect but would like to do the best job possible in keeping the white from being visible. Is this reasonably doable?

Thanks for any tips!
Brendan

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you MUST hunt from the boat...No blind

Take burlap and zip tie it to the dark backing of your choice so that no white shows through the weave of he burlap. When on site roll the burlap out over the boat and sit on the floor with your back against the gunnel, using a cushion or similar as a pad and sit still. nice and low profile.
Blinds flare birds, especially box blinds.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I used to hint out of an Avery Quickset. It’s a really nice setup but takes work to properly brush it in but, that’s going to be any blind system you try and use. I agree with @BrownDog as to try and keep the profile as low as possible.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
Go with BrownDogs idea and as an option maybe add mil spec camo netting to break up things. I stress the mil spec, I’m using the same netting since college in the 80’s. Go low profile, pop up blinds with high profiles suck. And I have first hand experience. Position boat against a brush background, trees, etc. you’ll be fine.
Guys were killing way more ducks with way less than we have today 100 years ago. No one needs all the latest/greatest camo. Camo shotguns....please. Most of it is for posers, just look at the ads. Dull, subtle colors - just blend in, don’t stand out.

I like to wade out 50 yards or so if possible and look at my set up while setting decoys before shooting hours. My boat is dark green, motor is black, it doesn’t stand out at all. I throw a camo tarp over the motor and red gas tank and that’s it. I’ve had ducks land 20 feet from my boat. Ducks aren’t geniuses, they are reactive and adaptive. I’ve had literally a 100 ducks in range while fishing during duck season, drove my lab insane.

As always, there is generally always more than one way to do anything.

One more thing, don’t listen to all the decoy spread bullshit, ducks don’t read that.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve hunted in Virginia for years and have had luck in layouts and other boats. If you want to primarily hunt divers and or sea ducks find something that is grayish and cover the boat with that. Run a few long lines out away from the boat and get a black flag on about a three foot dowel. If you see birds low give it’s some waves and get ready they will pop up a little and hopefully see your decoys. If you need any help with spots to go hit me up.

Jake

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went to walmart and bought a decent camo patern from a bolt in their arts and crafts section. I got 20 LF and it is 8 ft wide. Not expensive, I have been useing it for over 15 years. Just lay it on top and let it lay in the water to keep it in place for windy days. Add some burlap for the motor and some mulbery bush brush toward the aft end to hide behind. Banana river bomber style.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts