Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to tap into this awesome resource for recommendations or ideas for a small skiff that I can dry load by myself, primarily at kayak launches. I usually fish alone but need to have the option of taking someone along. I searched for older threads but did not find any. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on skiff models.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
All the usual mostly flat bottom technical skiffs we all talk about in here will do. It’s more about the trailer. Most trailers are set up too high. Leaf springs above axles and bunks set high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would a tilt trailer help? How heavy of a boat can you crank up with a winch?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I would like to tap into this awesome resource for recommendations or ideas for a small skiff that I can dry load by myself, primarily at kayak launches. I usually fish alone but need to have the option of taking someone along. I searched for older threads but did not find any. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on skiff models.
Salt Marsh Skiffs 1444. I'm getting one soon and will be having it set up for dry launch. The skiff is super light and can be launched anywhere there is 6" of water.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,502 Posts
A winch can pull any of these 18’ skiffs on a trailer fairly easily. Over that and you may need to eat some Wheaties so you have that Jenner power to crank her up...
jenner is going to have trouble with his/her high heels to crank a boat

·
Registered
390 Posts
Salt Marsh Skiffs 1444. I'm getting one soon and will be having it set up for dry launch.
Captain Jon....is Mel doing something special to the trailer to modify it for a dry launch? My Heron is on the build line now and I have ordered a Float-On trailer through Salt Marsh. If he simply assembles the trailer a different way without major modification....I may go the same route.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Captain Jon....is Mel doing something special to the trailer to modify it for a dry launch? My Heron is on the build line now and I have ordered a Float-On trailer through Salt Marsh. If he simply assembles the trailer a different way without major modification....I may go the same route.
In the past, all that was done by Float On was a keel roller on the back cross member of the trailer. Really that is all you need. If you asked for a dry launch trailer, you'll get that at least. I've heard rumors of walking boards going on Float On trailers in the future.

Reactions: georgiadrifter

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
I row a 14ft metal boat with uhmw bottom, there are a few pics here in some posts. The second boat is 1648 metal jet.
I have dragged both through boulders/gravel/steps/etc and onto a trailer.

If you mean pulling on from a dry parking lot or "unimproved launch," I do it often.

I suggest two things for dry loading a weighty hull/motor: 1st an electric winch on the top arm of the trailer, there is a cable version, don't know if there is a strap. Make sure it has a welded gusset!

2nd, a tilt trailer. If you want to get it good and slick, get some uhmw strips on the bunks. Keel roller is good, make sure the bow eye is capable of the pressure. Often it takes some jarring with the cable pulled tight.

Take out the fishing gear and load in your truck before if you are on an incline. A broken cable , when sprung tight, can take out an eye or cut off a digit! This is not an exaggeration.

·
Registered
223 Posts
what Backcountry said.

I use liquid rollers from west marine. The little can will most likely last me two years. I’ve only had to apply light coats every 6-10 launches which takes less than a minute to do. Word of caution, don’t let your buddy apply it after he parks the truck unless you show him how to do it. First time I put it on my bunks I unhooked the boat, jumped in with a little push and was 30’ from the trailer before I made it to the back of the boat

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
there are several components to dry launch trailers. low torsion axle, V shaped cross members, low mounted bunks, wide roller on the rear member. usually guide on bunks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts