Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a noob when it comes to this dry launching thing...

We got a new-to-us East Cape Fury sitting on a Ramlin. After the first outing, I've been spraying the bunks every other trip with silicone spray. When dry retrieving, is it really safe to put all of that strain on the bow eye cranking the boat all the way up? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
So I'm a noob when it comes to this dry launching thing...

We got a new-to-us East Cape Fury sitting on a Ramlin. After the first outing, I've been spraying the bunks every other trip with silicone spray. When dry retrieving, is it really safe to put all of that strain on the bow eye cranking the boat all the way up? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
ya not a problem

·
The redfish whisperer!
510 Posts
I have a fury and dry launch. My hubs do not touch the water. My rims barely touch. You should not have to apply a ton of silicone spray on the bunks. I do a light coat about every 6 months on my trailer and never have a issue. That ramlin trailer should dry launch no problem.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Which silicone product are you all using for this? Is that completely necessary?

I would think as mentioned above if you don’t tie it to winch bracket on steep ramp / low tide it will fly off like a greased BB.

I am also new to the dry launch trailer method for launching.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which silicone product are you all using for this? Is that completely necessary?

I would think as mentioned above if you don’t tie it to winch bracket on steep ramp / low tide it will fly off like a greased BB.

I am also new to the dry launch trailer method for launching.
It makes a huge difference in my novice opinion. First time I tried to push it off on a little beach and it took 3 people, I decided the bunks needed some lube. I’m also over 200 pounds and power lift...so that should tell you how locked to the dry bunks the boat was.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
As long as the back roller is touching the water I'm good.
Yup...that's very similar to what my trailer looks like recovering. I can get the roller wet without getting the hubs wet. So the roller lifts the nose to facilitate loading once the keel reaches it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yup...that's very similar to what my trailer looks like recovering. I can get the roller wet without getting the hubs wet. So the roller lifts the nose to facilitate loading once the keel reaches it.
Does it have to have that dip in the frame to work or could I possibly attach a roller to my trailer to make it more dry launch friendly? I’m thinking as long as it doesn’t affect the way to boat sits on the bunks it should work??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Please stop using Silicon spray. It makes simple repairs to the bottom of the hull a major pain in the ass. Switch to something like liquid rollers or gulf wax.

I keep snap shackle on the safety chain for steep ramps. Easier than trying to hold the boat in place while you take it off the hook.

I use the same hook as backup and at steep ramps. works well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The first time I dry launched my Beavertail was 2 weeks ago, was amazed at how easy the board slid off the trailer just by pushing with my finger tips, parked the trailer sprayed the bunks with silicone broke in the first 3 hours of the engine came back to the ramp and could not get the frigging boat to stay on the bunks when trying to take it out of the water. It kept sliding back off the trailer before I could get the winch strap on took me 3 or 4 attempts must of look comical for everyone else

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I just pull the winch strap as far back as needed to reach the bow eye and hang it over the cross member before I back down the ramp, clip it to the bow eye, keep the strap in my right hand to keep the boat from drifting back and crank it up when I reach the winch. just try different things till you find what works for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The first time I dry launched my Beavertail was 2 weeks ago, was amazed at how easy the board slid off the trailer just by pushing with my finger tips, parked the trailer sprayed the bunks with silicone broke in the first 3 hours of the engine came back to the ramp and could not get the frigging boat to stay on the bunks when trying to take it out of the water. It kept sliding back off the trailer before I could get the winch strap on took me 3 or 4 attempts must of look comical for everyone else
I couldn't help but laugh...this happened to me a couple of times. My primary launch/retrieval ramp is freshwater and pretty steep. So I don't dry-retrieve there...it's just easier to gently drive on. I have to leave the motor in gear, run to the front of the boat, hook it up to the winch, then take the motor out of gear to keep it from sliding down haha. It took me a few tries to figure out that process.

On another note, I may need a beefier winch. I found it exhausting to crank the boat back on with a nearly flat surface, let alone a steep ramp. I think it would be dang near impossible.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
On another note, I may need a beefier winch. I found it exhausting to crank the boat back on with a nearly flat surface, let alone a steep ramp. I think it would be dang near impossible.
I upgraded to a Fulton F2 pretty much immediately. And my Spear is pretty light.

Made a big difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts