Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have tied thousands of dry flies commercially and my fly shop has sold countless patches of deer and elk over the years. it's all about the hair when making these dry flies both look right and float properly. It is specific hair that your are looking for. Commercial tyers are always on the hunt for the perfect hair patches.

On deer it's where the hair comes from that determines what it does when cinched down with tying thread. Buck tail belly hair is useless for dry flies but great for streamers. What is correct for dries is the finer body hair from the sides of the animal. Wapsi and Hareline normally sell it as costal deer hair, summer coat hair or comparadun hair. They also will package elk from the same part of the animal for the purpose of winging dry flies.

When picking hair from loose scraps remember this. The thicker the hair the more flair your will get. This heavy hair along the animals back is best for spinning flies. The finer tightly packed patches with almost all of the hairs exactly the same length are what you are looking for. This will flare lightly and resemble the silhouette of Caddisflies and Stoneflies. BTW Deer Hair is hollow. Floats naturally. Fine deer hair patches should run around 4.00 to 10.00 depending on the size patch. One patch should last years for a recreational tyer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
While all caddisfly patterns have their moments of effectiveness this is the one I settled on a while ago. It is a different direction from traditional Caddis Ties but it just gets eaten. I guide in one of the most demanding Trout fisheries anywhere (Upper Delaware River System) so patterns come and go. This one is a keeper that produces year after year.

The pattern is a dead ringer for the silhouette of a spent Caddisfly or any with it's 4 wings extended, fluttering. This pattern is a blend between the early super effective Bi-Visible Pattern and an X-Caddis. It is one of our exclusive guide patterns.

At this time our guides use this almost exclusively during times when Caddis are about. For super selective fish on slow glassy pools I have also found Craig Matthew's Iris Caddis to be super effective.

A link to my shops listing for these. Also has more photos. https://baxterhouseflyfishing.com/products/3-ag-caddis-cripples

Plant Organism Landscape Terrestrial plant Flower

Insect Arthropod Organism Terrestrial plant Invertebrate

Insect Arthropod Organism Plant Terrestrial plant

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.