Drilling Hole in Aluminum Trailer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Estevan Vasquez, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM.

1. Estevan Vasquez

Estevan Vasquez Active Member

I just bought a new Ankona Copperhead w/ a Float On aluminum trailer. I'm about to install a bracket for a transom saver and was looking for some input on whether or not it would be a bad thing to put a hole on the cross beam. It's not an I beam it's more of a C beam and I'm looking to put a hole in the horizontal run of metal. There's already 3 holes where the rubber mat is riveted to the beam but they're small say 3/8 inch and I plan on drilling 1/4 inch. Need some advice.

If anybody has any questions about the boat I'd be more than happy to answer, from south Texas by the way probably 40 minutes from Galveston.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM
  2. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

If you are worried about causing a weak spot TIG weld a piece of aluminum plate where the hole will be then drill it so it’s beefed up.

3. Estevan Vasquez

Yeah I thought about that but I don' know anyone with a tig welder.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  4. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

A hole that size in the flange of the channel should not have any significant affect.

Drill away.

5. Estevan Vasquez

I didn't think so either just wanted another opinion, thanks

6. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

If you're worried about cracking, make sure you don't drill too close to the edge.
    Once you drill it, give both sides of the hole a very light chamfer.

7. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

Drill it use SS washers on both sides then roll on

8. Estevan Vasquez

I haven't drilled anything yet it's nasty outside now. Was wondering if it would be better to do it in the web vs the flange but there are already holes in the top flange for rivets so I'll probably go ahead and do the flange.

9. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

You would be able to maintain a greater edge distance for the hole if you drilled through the web. I'm not sure what your application looks like, but if you can drill through the web and make it work, its better than drilling through the flange.

10. Estevan Vasquez

It's just a small bracket for the end of the transom saver to secure to. The bracket looks just like what I'm drilling into but much smaller. I think I will drill into the web just because it is much wider like yall said.

11. Estevan Vasquez

And a pic of the boat just so y'all can have a look

Attached Files:

SomaliPirate likes this.
  12. redchaser

redchaser Well-Known Member

Like Dick Cheney said "Drill baby drill
    "

13. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I don't think you need a transom saver for your boat. You just need to use the mechanical stop for tilting the engine up to keep from stressing your hydraulics.

Also use one long tie down strap over the entire boat instead of two short straps from the transom eyes that pull the boat forward more than down.

Having the boat bounce on the bunks makes the transom saver ineffective.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  14. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I agree. My boat is a 2001 and has never had a transom saver and I drive like a maniac. I stick a wooden dowel between the motor and transom mounts. No issues in 17 years so I figure it’s good. My motor is probably higher jacked all the way down as most people’s are jacked all the way up so it’s even harder on the transom.
    A0CBB6E3-F30C-46E7-8CBD-4F86FE69D2C4.jpeg

15. Estevan Vasquez

Yeah I was wondering whether or not I needed one but the owners manual says to use one whenever trailering. I never thought about the 2x4 I might try that.

16. Estevan Vasquez

I actually emailed Float On yesterday out of curiosity and they never got back to me.

17. CaptDanS

CaptDanS Active Member

mike.s likes this.