Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a drift sock for the skiff since the wind always seems to howl on the Texas coast. Think this would let me slow the skiff and just us the pole to steer. Wanted some feedback from those that have used one, does it work like intended? What size did you use? I see there are sizes from 18”-42” but wouldn’t think I’d need one bigger than 24” or 30” for light skiff. Just looking for feedback.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
I use one offshore that is about 3' in diameter. It's attached to a rope that runs from a forward cleat to a cleat farther back. By sliding the sock along this rope I can make the boat drift side on to the sea or change the angle. Boat will normally drift with transom to windward.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
332 Posts
I've used mine in water that deep (shallow?).
As long as there's no snags, just grass/sand, it just gently slides along in a flattened oval shape.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn’t consider snagging anything but think if I use a small float attached to the front it will keep it from sinking.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We used to use one regularly. Never had an issue snagging anything. I believe we used a 30”ish for a 186 Dargel Scout. We also had a smaller one that really didn’t slow us down enough if the wind was blowing with any real force.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use a 66” Cabelas drift sock and can fly fish folks in 20 mph winds its slows the boat down enough to fish deeper grass flats in an 18’ skiff. I had used a much smaller one but when wind gets moving it’s wasn’t enough. Depending on how you fish you may benefit from more than one size.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,436 Posts

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
747 Posts
I do exactly this at times. I have a smallish one now that does fine in the poling scenario when hung off the stern. I’d say 30” is what mine is. Whatever the small size at Academy.

For solo fishing in stronger winds I use the trolling motor. Using the iPilot Nav feature I can keep the bow pointed nicely into the wind and fish from the poling platform off the back of the boat. I run the trolling motor with just enough power to let the wind move the boat slowly across the flat. You can move in any direction you need to. It sounds whacky but it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts