Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for either a used Fury or HB Pro 17.8 (leaning toward the latter right now). I've fished from a pro several times, so I know the draft is a true 4.5" as advertised. East Cape states the draft is anywhere from 5-9" - obviously that's all dependent on loadout, motor, configuration, etc. - but wondering what guys are getting for real world numbers? How shallow are you able to pole this skiff?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Best,
Tyler

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
I'm in the market for a fury as well, want to go new but due to impatience probably going to go used. Kevin will probably chime in but I'm hearing 7" from almost everyone. That suits my needs. If I need to go too much skinnier than that I'll just wade.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, from EC site: "Real Draft: 4”- 8” (Fully Rigged w/Two Anglers & Gear )"

I've been hearing about the same as you: 6-7" and that seems to be with 60HP e-tec's. Which begs my next question, what does the configuration need to be for the boat to draft 4"?

Maybe with a 30HP 2-stroke, 1 angler, and no gas or beers? But would than boat even get on plane? Probably barely...

That's why I'm leaning towards the HB Pro: you can have a Yamaha F70 on it, and it poles in 4.5" with three anglers, ice, drinks, gear, gas, etc - I've seen it. (disclaimer: the 3rd angler was my 100 lb girlfriend).​

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
I think that if you go side console or TIller with 50hp you're probably going to get around a 5" draft. If you're looking to get that consistently you need to be looking at a lostmen. 18'1" 72" beam just like the fury but gets skinnier and more stable. Just more rough coming across harbors and bays. I've fished a lot of areas in Florida, NC, and SC and for me 5" and 7" didn't make any difference. You can see the tails in both.

Reactions: Hhaine20

·
The redfish whisperer!
514 Posts
Hells bay claims 4.5 inches with engine and fuel. That is NOT loaded with anglers etc. No way it poles in 4.5 inches loaded. It's more like 6 inches realistically.

As for the fury that draft number depends on the configuration as they do several layouts such as scooter etc and also hp typically with a 60 but seeing more lately with F70 and even 90hp outboards. With a 60 on the back it's a true 6 inch boat as well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Then there is no way the ECC can claim 4". Btw, 4" - 8" is a substantial range - they should post what the draft it under normal conditions. Two anglers, fuel, gear on pole. Claim unloaded if you like, but most boats aren't balanced until there is an angler up on the bow, so load should always be a factor.

The ECC guys used to be on here and would come school, I mean educate, us on how great their boats are. Haven't seen them in a while though.

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
Kevin chimes in still. I'll say that I know plenty of guides up here in the sc low country using east cape lostmens that pole 6" all day. I haven't met or read a post from an ECC guy that has claimed 4" or tried to take anyone to school about their boat.

·
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
97 Posts
I own a side console pro and I do not draft 4.5". I would say with 2 anglers i'm in the 7in range. The only boat that could really go that skinny is a 16ft. tiller whipray from the old days. If you are that concerned about a 4in draft, than get a canoe... This is a kooky thread

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
That's why I'm leaning towards the HB Pro: you can have a Yamaha F70 on it, and it poles in 4.5" with three anglers, ice, drinks, gear, gas, etc - I've seen it. (disclaimer: the 3rd angler was my 100 lb girlfriend).​

Was bigfoot poling this boat by any chance? Is there a grainy Roger Patterson film floating around of this boat being poled?

If you put a back panther on the bow I bet the boat would hover.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was bigfoot poling this boat by any chance? Is there a grainy Roger Patterson film floating around of this boat being poled?

If you put a back panther on the bow I bet the boat would hover.
I'll tell you what: I'll take a picture of a measurement next time I'm out on my buddy's Pro. I'll tell you from being out on it a bunch, we have poled through the skinniest of water with two anglers, both about 170 lbs, and not sure of the fuel load. But draft was certainly closer to 4.5" than 7. It was effing shallow, though - without a doubt less than 7".

But it seems my original question was completely disregarded in favor of banter... so... any Fury owners have legit numbers to expect for a real draft on that thing? Sounds like it's in the 6-7" range with a E-tec 60.

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
I've talked to at least 4 fury owners about my interest in their boat and their all saying 7" normal fishing load and one guy said 6" alone with just fly gear. ECC isn't putting a lot of etecs on anymore either, zuk and merc are the most common these days due to reliability and weight.

I don't know you so I'm not calling bs, but I think my kayak drafts about 4.5" with my decoys and gun in it...

Reactions: Adam Redden

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,635 Posts
I will take pics with a tape measure this week and put it on this thread. One with no anglers, one, then two. We get out and push occasionally to get to a shore or lake but I have never measured the draft. There is very little if any draft difference between the 06 18 Waterman 2S 70 hp and the 17'8" Pro F60. There is maybe an 1 1/2" less draft with the 03 Glades skiff. We would slide the Glades over grass or even sand/mud bars a few times.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for either a used Fury or HB Pro 17.8 (leaning toward the latter right now). I've fished from a pro several times, so I know the draft is a true 4.5" as advertised. East Cape states the draft is anywhere from 5-9" - obviously that's all dependent on loadout, motor, configuration, etc. - but wondering what guys are getting for real world numbers? How shallow are you able to pole this skiff?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Best,
Tyler

We base our draft off best and worse case...
Fury rates up to a 90hp so if you put a 90hp,jack-plate,power-pole and add anglers and gear thats how you get your draft. I can tell you we are on par with others in this class...weight/displacement makes the static draft.

To make a Fury float in just over 4" it would be tiller, full kevlar, and a light hp which we have done. I have pics of a Fury w/30hp tiller on it and two large guys over 200lbs and you can see the waterline is just a tad over tabs. Speed was 27-29mph in the one we took pics of and if we actually built like mentioning it would have a top-end of 29-32, float in under 5" all day and be a great skiff...
Hope this helps?
Kevin
p.s. I can send pics if somebody wants to post on here?

·
Registered
469 Posts
We base our draft off best and worse case...
Fury rates up to a 90hp so if you put a 90hp,jack-plate,power-pole and add anglers and gear thats how you get your draft. I can tell you we are on par with others in this class...weight/displacement makes the static draft.

To make a Fury float in just over 4" it would be tiller, full kevlar, and a light hp which we have done. I have pics of a Fury w/30hp tiller on it and two large guys over 200lbs and you can see the waterline is just a tad over tabs. Speed was 27-29mph in the one we took pics of and if we actually built like mentioning it would have a top-end of 29-32, float in under 5" all day and be a great skiff...
Hope this helps?
Kevin
p.s. I can send pics if somebody wants to post on here?

Pics from Kevin. This thing looks badass.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,163 Posts
I was in my buddy's EC Lostman and while in LA the water was blown out with the north wind so there was plenty skinny water. 50 Hoda, Jane plate, trim tabs, tower on front, big cooler full of ice, tackle 2 guys
I put the pole out to push us back when stuck and the water was one half a push pole foot. So I figure 6-7. My fat flats boat will do 8-9 but what's the point. If you get stuck push off or wade

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.