Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2015 SUV 17
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I use a wooden dowl for a gas guage do I need to coat the wood? It will not reside in the tank but only used to get an estimate when needed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
If I use a wooden dowl for a gas guage do I need to coat the wood? It will not reside in the tank but only used to get an estimate when needed.
No need to coat it. If you use a magic marker (permanent) on it you can mark it off in increments for a more accurate read. The Magic marker will not come off with gasoline.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I've been using dip sticks for many years now (sometimes a dowel but mostly a 1 x 1/4" teak stick. My usual routine is to start with a dry tank (easy if it's new) not so easy if you already have fuel - but still do-able. Load in your base measuring amount (when I pre-mixed fuel and oil I marked my sticks in six gallon amounts for straight fuel it's five gallon increments). Add another five or six gallons then make a second mark (all the way until you're topped off - most tanks will never hold the amount they claim, of course....). My marks are done with a simple three sided file (then enhanced later). Once I have my basic marks I then highlight them with permanent markers in each groove - with heavier marks for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 measurements.

No, I've never coated my fuel sticks with anything (remember your fuel is also a solvent and will pretty much remove anything you put on a dipstick -even that permanent marker eventually...). I also make a point of making a second stick and storing it away somewhere in case I lose my primary.... Every dipstick has a fuel key attached to one end as well.... Hope this helps...

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,480 Posts
I have a fuel gauge. Guess I am old school

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,617 Posts
I have a fuel gauge. Guess I am old school
Actually….just the opposite. Nothing more old school than a stick dipped into in a gas tank opening...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts