Dowl for gas gauge

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by suvtillerdriver, Mar 2, 2015.

1. suvtillerdriver

suvtillerdriver 2015 SUV 17

If I use a wooden dowl for a gas guage do I need to coat the wood? It will not reside in the tank but only used to get an estimate when needed.

2. CedarCreek

CedarCreek I Love microskiff.com!

I didn't coat or treat mine. I am using a Mahogany dowel.

3. joebucko

joebucko I Love microskiff.com!

No need to coat it. If you use a magic marker (permanent) on it you can mark it off in increments for a more accurate read. The Magic marker will not come off with gasoline.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

Don't coat the dowel, it will be easier to read. Cut notches for an indication of fuel level.

5. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

I've been using dip sticks for many years now (sometimes a dowel but mostly a 1 x 1/4" teak stick. My usual routine is to start with a dry tank (easy if it's new) not so easy if you already have fuel - but still do-able. Load in your base measuring amount (when I pre-mixed fuel and oil I marked my sticks in six gallon amounts for straight fuel it's five gallon increments). Add another five or six gallons then make a second mark (all the way until you're topped off - most tanks will never hold the amount they claim, of course....). My marks are done with a simple three sided file (then enhanced later). Once I have my basic marks I then highlight them with permanent markers in each groove - with heavier marks for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 measurements.

No, I've never coated my fuel sticks with anything (remember your fuel is also a solvent and will pretty much remove anything you put on a dipstick -even that permanent marker eventually...). I also make a point of making a second stick and storing it away somewhere in case I lose my primary.... Every dipstick has a fuel key attached to one end as well.... Hope this helps...

6. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I have a fuel gauge. Guess I am old school

7. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Actually….just the opposite. Nothing more old school than a stick dipped into in a gas tank opening...