Dolphin Superskiff 60 Command Thrust

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by hawkeye, Oct 24, 2017.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

I have an older Superskiff with the 18° deadrise.

I have a Mercury 60 Command thrust on the way. Where do i start with a prop choice?

Thanks.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  2. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

The Command Thrust is the commercial version with the lower gear ratio lower unit I think. If it is the lower gear ratio you can turn more pitch and larger diameter than the standard lower unit. Call Prop Gods for a start of your prop decisions. I think Mercury has a boat house bulletin for their motors on different boats and all propeller information is listed. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/outboard/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017

3. hawkeye

Ill give PG a try. No bulletins for a Dolphin ☹️. Thanks for the info. Ill keep you posted.

4. stalkintail

stalkintail Well-Known Member

I run a Backcountry 151 with a Merc 60 Command Thrust. I am running a quicksilver Vengeance 15p. I am spinning it right to 6100 rpm's with a light load. I realize it is not the same hull, but it gives you a idea.

5. hawkeye

Thanks for the reply stalkintail. I need to verify my tach is accurate. I tried a Merc Spitfire Aluminum 4 blade prop in 15 pitch. That pitch i achieved 5200 rpm , moderately loaded (myself and passenger, some gear), 29.5 mph. If the tach is accurate im thinking about trying a 12 pitch Spitfire.

Will I lose overall speed by lowering pitch?

6. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

I second a call to propgods. Ken knows his stuff.

7. hawkeye

Called Ken. Very knowledgeable and easy to talk to .

One of the props he suggested is the Mercury Spirfire. The Spitfire is a 4 blade aluminum.

Initially tried a 15 pitch. Achieved 5100 Rpms, with an avg load , just under 29 mph.

Next a 13 pitch Spitfire. 5800 rpms 32 mph. Skiff launches effortlessly out of the hole.

My 20 year old 2 stroke 60 with the standard gear case gave me a top speed of 34 mph. That prop was a 3 blade stainless but i forgot the pitch.

Im happy with this prop. Im sure a stainless 3 blade will yield faster speed but for now im satisfied with my performance plus the price is right.

Side note, VesselView app indicated 8 mpg at 4200 rpms, 23 mph with the 13 P Spitfire.

Thanks for those that contributed I appreciate it!

~Hawkeye

SomaliPirate likes this.
  8. hawkeye

Update:

Standard load (gear, cooler, my dad, full tank, etc.) 30 mph5650 rpms.

Breezy conditions.

Boat seems to handle choppy conditions much better now.

I’ll be looking for a SS in the future.