SOLD/EXPIRED Doesn't hurt to ask right? Looking for job

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by kooker, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kooker

kooker I Love microskiff.com!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Pharma is cutting back and is very hard to get into without referrals.

If you're a UCF grad I would suggest you checkout www.jobswithucf.com if you enjoyed your time at the school. Though that would involve you moving back to Orlando.

I don't know how many boat builders large enough to have an intership program in Tampa, but I know for a fact that Hells Bay has an internship program. East Cape may also have one as well. But again, they are both in Orlando/Titusville.

3. kooker

Mattyvac, I was thinking about doing pharmaceuticals , but like you said it's rough right now. I know a friend of a friend that works with hells bay as a rep. I wouldn't mind getting into something like that but I don't think they're really looking for anyone right now. Orlando is an option. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. bmack

bmack I Love microskiff.com!

Go Knights! I graduated from there in 07, finally. I agree doing something you enjoy is good. Its not pharmaceutical but you might check out being a rep for someone like Donovan Marine. They sell the MarPac line of marine accessories to retailers. I used to know a guy that did and he seemed to enjoy it. Good luck

5. bmack

bmack I Love microskiff.com!

Hey Kooker meant to tell you as well that I think Donovan is based in the Tampa area.

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I gave the same advice to my cousin - the economy is rough and with the uncertainty of the corp tax situation many companies are not expanding right now and most likely not for the next period of time.

Go get your MBA.

7. mhinkle90

mhinkle90 Let it scream!!!

Like Matty stated, usually universitys have programs for recent graduates to join to get them noticed by companies. I know its tough finding jobs right now as I have just graduated with a double major in business management and international business at FIU and thankfully I have a great job but I have many friends without them. Its tough out there but trust me use every resource available to you...especially your alma mater. Also if you joined any clubs or organizations such as a greek fraternity, reach out to your alumni and get yourself noticed.

8. kooker

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm going to look into some companies over the next month or two. If nothing transpires, I'm going to get my masters.

9. smithst

smithst I Love microskiff.com!

Did you see the post before yours? The Kayak business in Pine Island/Ft Myers. I know it takes your from the Tampa area but its only what about 2 hours south of Tampa and it looks like the OP needs someone "business Savvy" to run it. Have a few buddies who have jumped into small opportunities like this one and it led to very big and rewarding careers. Good luck.

10. JsimpTampaFl3

JsimpTampaFl3 I Love microskiff.com!

Hey kooker19, I am in the same boat as you right now. I graduated from Stetson Univeristy over there in Deland almost two yrs ago now. I got a sports management degree with a business administration minor and as of right now I work at the Loews Don Cesar hotel. That is completely out of my field and I would love to work in the fishing/boating industry. It sucks man right now there is nothing out there and it's like you have to take whatever you can get. I would die to work for hells bay skiffs. Kooker19 PM me sometime and let's keep in touch. Meet up and fish sometime. I live in Apollo beach little south of Tampa.

11. Thomas1

Thomas1 I Love microskiff.com!

As someone who has hired a good number of people over the past years, I would like to offer some advice to you and many others on here.

"in this economy" is dead. The dow is over 13000 and business have been hiring steadily since 2009.

If you are not applying, calling back for a follow up, and selling yourself in your interviews, you are not likely to get hired.

Most boat manufacturers have been hiring and building more product every year since 2009.

If your dream job is not available - go for the entry level job that can lead to it or a similar company to what your dream co. is to learn and potentially move to what you want when available.

It is a buyers market right now as far as employee selection goes. Many people are looking for jobs so you need to sell yourself. Experience and education weighs less than attitude and work ethic.

If you dream of doing something, you need to relentlessly chase down that dream, or you will die wishing you had.

12. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

I'd think hard before going to grad school.  Worse case scenario you spend 2-years getting a MBA, thousands of $ in debt, need a part time job during school and you will probably miss any great opportunity that pops up while attending school.

I've own/owned a few successful business (including one that has serviced the Pharmaceutical Industry for 28 years) and I've never been overly influenced by an advanced degree when hiring a first time job seeker.  What impresses me most is someone that works his ass off, has a positive attitude and demonstrates a willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.  If someone tells me they have been working at Home Depot, waiting tables, cutting lawns etc. while looking for their first break - that impresses me.  There are plenty of other jobs in the Pharmaceutical biz besides carrying a bag - unfortunately most of the new opportunities are in NJ. A great field is Medical Education/Marketing Companies. They help educate docs on new meds and most projects involve traveling to resorts, hotels, convention centers etc. and conducting meetings. FL is one of the most popular meeting destinations for Pharma and companies are always looking for good young talent - plus lots of young attractive woman work in the field = bonus. Good luck and stay positive!

13. 420chevy

420chevy I Love microskiff.com!

Keep an eye out at ULALaunch.com. We hire UCF grads entry level quite often. Its a very cool company to work for!