Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Documenting trips (edit)

5765 157
(Edit)

Well this blew up for the worse ….. my intentions are to make cinematic clips for my self / friends / family I am not looking to out everyone’s spots and become Jake Paul ….. just a dude with a camera that would like to share my experience thru videos instead of a standard pic ….. get off my butt lol

Is there any filmers on here? I’m looking for someone to mentor me or answer certain questions regarding making YouTube videos or short videos documenting your fishing trips. I’ve got a GoPro hero 8 and a bunch of accessories that I need to put to use before I go spending money on editing, computers and real cameras. So far I’ve got Adobe Premiere Pro, my GoPro hero 8, and I have been messing with editing.
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

· Registered
2,172 Posts
My favorite "waterproof camera" story? The time I poled myself off of my poling platform (no extra charge for entertainment, folks...) with that good camera on a lanyard around my neck, resting in my shirt pocket... It was literally the only time that camera got wet - and it didn't survive.... a single dunking. Back to the drawing board for me...

"Aren't boats (and everything that goes with them...) fun?"
I had a similar experience with my Canon “waterproof “ camera. The very first time that I used it underwater, it locked up! Canon said that it couldn’t be repaired due to “water
The goal long-term is to teach the wife how to lol so I’m not the only one filming and poling the boat around all day as much as I would like to be the guide and filmed everyday I would like to swap roles from time to time lol. Good advice tho I appreciate the real response
. Skinny’s advice is spot on! You either fish, pole, or shoot video. If you attempt to do all three, you’ll do none of it well! See if you can jump onboard with some friends or possibly a guide to produce a video. There might be a guide that would be interested in you producing a self-promo video in trade for you either jumping aboard his/her skiff or following along in a camera boat. Just a thought!

· Registered
2022 Skimmer Skiff 16’6” - 2022 Suzuki DF60A
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Well, that’s pretty funny I clicked on the video and I had already watched seven minutes of it already. Lol I’ll deep dive into his channel.
I had a similar experience with my Canon “waterproof “ camera. The very first time that I used it underwater, it locked up! Canon said that it couldn’t be repaired due to “water
. Skinny’s advice is spot on! You either fish, pole, or shoot video. If you attempt to do all three, you’ll do none of it well! See if you can jump onboard with some friends or possibly a guide to produce a video. There might be a guide that would be interested in you producing a self-promo video in trade for you either jumping aboard his/her skiff or following along in a camera boat. Just a thought!
Thank you guys for that insight, I think I may be getting ahead of myself on this. I’ll continue to fish and maybe take some super short clips from time to time but you guys are right. I can’t do all three at once by myself. Maybe I’ll come across a few guys locally in my area that have the same hobbies and we can all work together to catch more fish and produce short films from time to time.

Thank you guys for all your advice

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Thank you guys for that insight, I think I may be getting ahead of myself on this. I’ll continue to fish and maybe take some super short clips from time to time but you guys are right. I can’t do all three at once by myself. Maybe I’ll come across a few guys locally in my area that have the same hobbies and we can all work together to catch more fish and produce short films from time to time.

Thank you guys for all your advice
If nothing else, you’ve seen what people hate about posting fishing videos. Just keep that in mind and go out and enjoy your plan.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
If nothing else, you’ve seen what people hate about posting fishing videos. Just keep that in mind and go out and enjoy your plan.
Yeah, and I get it and understand it somewhat. It just wasn’t the whole point of my post. I didn’t think people would freak out lol.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have a buddy who likes to take pics of our groups hunting and fishing exploits. When we found out those pics were going on FB he was told very clearly 'no more pics or you don't get the invite'.

You are free to shoot all the video you want and share it with the world. And a few out of state folks you'll never meet in person may even love you for it. But there will also be people who live and fish where you do that will consider you an asshole for what you do and will curse you every time they see an out of state tag at the ramp. Choose accordingly.

Btw, this is not some 'old man' way of thinking. It's common sense.

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,199 Posts
BUT every spot that we have found was someone else’s spot and they probably thought we were blowing it up so it’s a never ending cycle. You just have to not act like the old Grandpa and get upset when someone’s fishing your spot it’s a free country,
No, you are making a lot of assumptions base on your limited frame of reference. When I started sight fishing, there were a lot of places I was fishing that literally no one had ever fished through because they were only accessible in a shallow draft boat being push poled and virtually no one else in the area was set up to do that. I don't think anybody "owns the water" or "owns a spot", I don't get mad at someone being in a spot I've fished undisturbed for years because I can find fish elsewhere, and if they did the work and figured it out they've earned the right to be there. But I do get pissed at someone stumbling into one of those spots and blowing it up online because the spot will then be loaded with people who didn't do the work. Just because you have a "right" to fish somewhere, doesn't mean that it "is right" to ruin the place. Believe me you don't have to "give GPS coordinates" to blow up a spot. As mentioned before just showing an identifiable ramp can often be enough, and for all of your talk about it being a "free country" you gripe about people blurring backgrounds...guess what, they are "free" to do that as well.

I've been doing this long enough to see a lot of spots get absolutely ruined this way. You would be surprised at how quickly fish change their behavior in reaction to pressure. Add to that a lot of places I fish are changing because of erosion and subsidence as well so each of those spots I've kept guarded becomes even more precious. There are areas of my state that I just won't fish anymore because I don't want to deal with the traffic, and anytime you see me post fish pictures or a fishing report, there's never any more info than I was "in the marsh" in either the text, or what I show in the background. Honestly your post here reek of immaturity and entitlement. You're not entitled to anything from anyone here, nobody has to point you in the right direction, show you spots or really share anything with you at all. Frankly they will be doing you a favor if they don't because it's all so much more rewarding when you do it for yourself.

P.S. Stay off my lawn.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,737 Posts
No, you are making a lot of assumptions base on your limited frame of reference. When I started sight fishing, there were a lot of places I was fishing that literally no one had ever fished through because they were only accessible in a shallow draft boat being push poled and virtually no one else in the area was set up to do that. I don't think anybody "owns the water" or "owns a spot", I don't get mad at someone being in a spot I've fished undisturbed for years because I can find fish elsewhere, and if they did the work and figured it out they've earned the right to be there. But I do get pissed at someone stumbling into one of those spots and blowing it up online because the spot will then be loaded with people who didn't do the work. Just because you have a "right" to fish somewhere, doesn't mean that it "is right" to ruin the place. Believe me you don't have to "give GPS coordinates" to blow up a spot. As mentioned before just showing an identifiable ramp can often be enough, and for all of your talk about it being a "free country" you gripe about people blurring backgrounds...guess what, they are "free" to do that as well.

I've been doing this long enough to see a lot of spots get absolutely ruined this way. You would be surprised at how quickly fish change their behavior in reaction to pressure. Add to that a lot of places I fish are changing because of erosion and subsidence as well so each of those spots I've kept guarded becomes even more precious. There are areas of my state that I just won't fish anymore because I don't want to deal with the traffic, and anytime you see me post fish pictures or a fishing report, there's never any more info than I was "in the marsh" in either the text, or what I show in the background. Honestly your post here reek of immaturity and entitlement. You're not entitled to anything from anyone here, nobody has to point you in the right direction, show you spots or really share anything with you at all. Frankly they will be doing you a favor if they don't because it's all so much more rewarding when you do it for yourself.

P.S. Stay off my lawn.
Best post on this thread right here.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
I can’t figure out how to lock the post if it’s even possible

But I have come to the conclusion to just continue taking pictures of my fish and focus on the fishing and catching part. Thanks for everybody’s advice.
I just film things with my IPhone 13 and it looks great, then I post it in my stories instagram which is followed by a couple hundred people I know. In short clips. Then it’s gone in 24hrs. I’m still choosy how I film and if I think it’s revealing I don’t put it up.

Reactions: The Fin

· Registered
45 Posts

P.S. Stay off my lawn.
PREACH!

· Premium Member
4,243 Posts
I’ll play nice I suppose…
Iphone and go pro are all you need to get started making content. Plenty of free editing software available and if not free, very reasonable. While I am not a “content creator”, all my youtube videos and IG pics are done with just an Iphone and film maker pro app. Just don’t ho all googan and ruin my spots!

Reactions: SkimmerSkiffer

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I’ll play nice I suppose…
Iphone and go pro are all you need to get started making content. Plenty of free editing software available and if not free, very reasonable. While I am not a “content creator”, all my youtube videos and IG pics are done with just an Iphone and film maker pro app. Just don’t ho all googan and ruin my spots!
Pm me your spots so I can get with Jake Paul we’ll blow your spots up

101 - 120 of 158 Posts