Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Documenting trips (edit)

6415 Views 157 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  JC Designs
(Edit)

Well this blew up for the worse ….. my intentions are to make cinematic clips for my self / friends / family I am not looking to out everyone’s spots and become Jake Paul ….. just a dude with a camera that would like to share my experience thru videos instead of a standard pic ….. get off my butt lol

Is there any filmers on here? I’m looking for someone to mentor me or answer certain questions regarding making YouTube videos or short videos documenting your fishing trips. I’ve got a GoPro hero 8 and a bunch of accessories that I need to put to use before I go spending money on editing, computers and real cameras. So far I’ve got Adobe Premiere Pro, my GoPro hero 8, and I have been messing with editing.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2022 Skimmer Skiff 16’6” - 2022 Suzuki DF60A
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeez. Being a mentor? Sure! What the heck! If you believe me? You'll believe anyone. OK OK So hit me on the privates - that is private messaging ... maybe, just maybe I can provide a pearl or two. Or here - [email protected] ... warning - you're opening up a big box of expensive chocolates ... and you never know what you're gonna get!
It’s already got expensive after taking on fly fishing this month LOL.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s the same thing really. Wild fly hits all my spots in Montana and advertises them to the world. Ruining the best fishing in the country for some views. So lame. The question is who squawked to Wildfly? Don’t even get me started!
That’s the attitude that no one likes. “My spots”

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope you know what you're getting yourself into lol. You're gonna be spending way more time filming and editing than actual fishing. Video editing suuuuucks and is a huge time sink.
Hoping to just do this for random short clips , and the longer ones for special trips throughout the year. Because I’m not a film guy 24/7 but I would like to document my special occasions / trips

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mixed bag, but I'll agree that giving a googan a camera hasn't helped their behavior. I see a world of difference between guys like Estrada and Wild Fly Productions and the bros out here ripping in no wake zones and casting on Tarpon at Robbies from the point and posting it to Tik Tok. There's some quality work being done that is serving a great purpose shedding light on the FL and beyond waters and the issues surrounding access and clean water. Then there's the clowns like Googan Squad and their ilk. Can't put them all in the same basket.
Wild fly is my inspiration right now. Just want to put a little time into cinematic shots and editing for these traveling trips or special trips. Not trying to be the next Jake Paul.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Lots of good words here
I have a YouTube person in my area burning spots like crazy . In the middle of suburban west Palm spots that hold fish are few and far between . Not my spots I don’t own them….. doesn’t mean that every person who watches an 8 minute video should be able to go straight there and pound away .
it’s crazy be cause they are burning their own spots for views and a couple bucks… and you can make a video without burning spots …..
The point is to make cinematic inspiring videos capturing natures beauty. To relive those trips. Not worried about views or making $. I guess I shouldn’t have called this “content creating”

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
While I agree with everyone about “burning spots” by “creating content”. Isn’t our Fishing Reports section, to a lesser degree, a simpler, less technological, form of the very thing that we despise?
Yeah same thing as asking everyone on the water “how’d you do”

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
This maybe be controversial but what are the differences between youtubers and guides? Both have to exploit an area to be able to make money. There have been tons of hype videos created to push a guiding business and both are attempting to make a profit off of a resource. I see a lot of hero shots on guides Instagrams. I even see guides on here bitching about other guides. Lol.
Nothing. Just bitch differently 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not at all. Drifter is correct on this one. You are wrong.
It’s the same thing really. Wild fly hits all my spots in Montana and advertises them to the world. Ruining the best fishing in the country for some views. So lame. The question is who squawked to Wildfly? Don’t even get me started!
that’s the bad attitude that everyone has. Every “spot” is someone’s, we all can share the land. You don’t have a right to it more than the other millions of people. Entitlement is crazy here I see.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Entitlement or tired of people being disrespectful on the water? There are some unwritten rules to go by and I’m thinking you don’t know them. How old are you so we have some context to work with…
doesn’t matter here. This is plain and simple…. For all the grumpy old men sitting on the sidelines getting upset at new people fishing on the block….. I get it …… but you have to accept it because you don’t OWN the dang land or water. Everyone has the same right to fish it wether or not they put in the work to “find it” or wether they were guided to that spot by locals or the internet.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You are not talking about fishing though. You’re talking about bringing unnecessary attention to an area so you can stroke whatever complex you have that makes you seek recognition from strangers. I’m 34 btw but I understood not pimping out areas when I was 18. Maybe it’s just the turkey hunter in me.
I am talking about documenting my trips without giving people GPS coordinates lol. I am not that much younger than you. I turn 29 this month and I have been fishing my whole life and I do get everyone’s opinion on not wanting to blow up spots BUT every spot that we have found was someone else’s spot and they probably thought we were blowing it up so it’s a never ending cycle. You just have to not act like the old Grandpa and get upset when someone’s fishing your spot it’s a free country, and everyone has the same rights to fish public land spots. people go so crazy to the point where they are photo shopping their pictures so that they can blur out background so people don’t know where they are lol pretty ridiculous to me and I don’t see what the issue would be if you’re making a short clip of you at the boat ramp loading your boat into the water, and then a short clip of you fishing in the middle of let’s say mosquito lagoon, and then a short clip showing what you caught for the day. That is not like you’re giving out exact coordinates to where you caught this fish the mosquito lagoon is huge and let’s say this goes for the West Coast as well. If you are fishing in Crystal River there’s thousands of islands if you were not giving out GPS coordinates you’re not blowing up spots. So everyone can calm down about their hard earned spots. They aren’t going anywhere.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I think you are misunderstanding someone else fishing your spot versus publishing your spot so EVERYONE else can fish in your spot. You are right it is public land and water but if you have put the sweat equity in to figure out a spot the last thing you want is some influencer coming in and publishing it. The influencer leaves and moves on to the next hot spot and leaves a mess behind.
Right I reworded my post since my intention is to document my fishing catches and to make short cinematic clips , not publish coordinates for the world to fish lol.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My favorite "waterproof camera" story? The time I poled myself off of my poling platform (no extra charge for entertainment, folks...) with that good camera on a lanyard around my neck, resting in my shirt pocket... It was literally the only time that camera got wet - and it didn't survive.... a single dunking. Back to the drawing board for me...

"Aren't boats (and everything that goes with them...) fun?"
Was that with a GoPro or a dslr style camera

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Its apparent that you cannot take advice so I’ll say one more thing and leave it at that. Showing boat ramps gives people a starting point. The Mosquito Lagoon is a fraction of the size of the La marsh but there are areas down there that videos of boat ramps and Instagram pictures have ruined. I’m talking literally swarming with skiffs all trying to do the same thing. I would leave any identifiable landmark out of it. I have to drive at least 300 miles to fish and only get to go maybe 3 weeks out of the year. I would be even more guarded if the area I fished was in my back door. I hope you find comfort and happiness with every strangers like and share.
I get it. My intentions are to show my cinematic fishing day. Not show boat ramp ramps, gps coordinates of spots, etc. thanks

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Honestly if I were you and you want actual good results for recording one of your fishing trips, have someone come along with you that can use a camera at least halfway decently and have them record you. If you are doing it by yourself it will not be very cinematic at all because you'd just have a few goPros with one on a mount on your poling platform completely static, and then one on your body which just shows your arms and fishing pole waving around and in my opinion is not cinematic or enjoyable to watch at all.

Better yet if you're really serious, save the money on all the gear and just hire a professional videographer for a day to record you and it will turn out way better than if you are doing it yourself or having someone inexperienced with you trying to do it. I've had my son try to film stuff but he can't use a camera properly to save his life lol, believe it or not it takes experience to get the results you are looking for

Hell if you lived in St.Pete I'd do it for you for a reasonable fee, give you all the video files and you could edit it any way you wanted.
The goal long-term is to teach the wife how to lol so I’m not the only one filming and poling the boat around all day as much as I would like to be the guide and filmed everyday I would like to swap roles from time to time lol. Good advice tho I appreciate the real response

1 - 20 of 32 Posts