Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Documenting trips (edit)

6415 Views 157 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  JC Designs
(Edit)

Well this blew up for the worse ….. my intentions are to make cinematic clips for my self / friends / family I am not looking to out everyone’s spots and become Jake Paul ….. just a dude with a camera that would like to share my experience thru videos instead of a standard pic ….. get off my butt lol

Is there any filmers on here? I’m looking for someone to mentor me or answer certain questions regarding making YouTube videos or short videos documenting your fishing trips. I’ve got a GoPro hero 8 and a bunch of accessories that I need to put to use before I go spending money on editing, computers and real cameras. So far I’ve got Adobe Premiere Pro, my GoPro hero 8, and I have been messing with editing.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,444 Posts
Same here, commercial photography background, started with film and transitioned into digital. Got out of the business because I wasn't making any money sitting in front of a computer editing for hours upon hours. No one paid enough to make it worth it anymore because of the influx of "professional" photographers with digital cameras flooding the market. I always say if everything was still film I'd be making a killing right now lol.
I hear you! Almost 20 years of food, fashion, liquor, cigarettes, and industrial photography. Spent about 5 years with digital. I felt like my craft died a slow death with the advent of desktop publishing and photoshop!

· Registered
2,444 Posts
It is definitely a completely changed industry. It happens a lot to many industries that pop up, technology changes and the market changes. I owned and operated a custom lab. Had to close the doors as I watched my customers not need the services anymore. Then worked for both Nikon then Canon servicing the dealer base in over half the country between the two. Slowly watched the mom and pop stores die one by one as customers repeatedly walked into their shop take 45 minutes of an employee’s time getting decent information only to in the end expect the store to match the online price, and walk out placing no value on the service and information they just got. It’s why I refuse to walk into a shop with no expectation to buy from them, and if i spend 30 minutes talking to say a salesmen in a tackleshop about a reel I will gladly just tell them to wrap it up and hand them my credit card if that is the product I decide to buy. I saw the writing in the wall and despite the 17 years I put into it, dropped everything went back to school and now work in the medical field. Figure unfortunately everybody needs medical something or another.

Not anti capitalism but thats what a market is. It is a living breathing thing and It changes. The majority of shoppers don’t play by a set of rules that revolve around nostalgia and appreciation for a business owners time and money, but instead answers to their bank account and or desire to get the best deal as they see it.

I miss the simpler times but this has been a thing for way longer than any of us know. New replaces old.
I see that happening in fly shops! People come in and pump for info and even “test drive” gear only to go home and order mail order!🤬

· Registered
2,444 Posts
While I agree with everyone about “burning spots” by “creating content”. Isn’t our Fishing Reports section, to a lesser degree, a simpler, less technological, form of the very thing that we despise?

· Registered
2,444 Posts
i would tend to disagree there, usually a fishing report is much less detailed. Usually provides a general area, a bait, and then a number count or a species list.

most of the time, especially with drone footage that’s so popular nowadays…if you know the general area, a google earth search could almost put you on the button
True! That’s why I said “lesser degree”. Some, not all of the reports include still photos that can be revealing ( far less than video/drone footage). I still feel that if someone is looking for a place to fish and they see a really great report, guess where they’re headed. Just my 2 cents!

· Registered
2,444 Posts
My favorite "waterproof camera" story? The time I poled myself off of my poling platform (no extra charge for entertainment, folks...) with that good camera on a lanyard around my neck, resting in my shirt pocket... It was literally the only time that camera got wet - and it didn't survive.... a single dunking. Back to the drawing board for me...

"Aren't boats (and everything that goes with them...) fun?"
I had a similar experience with my Canon “waterproof “ camera. The very first time that I used it underwater, it locked up! Canon said that it couldn’t be repaired due to “water
The goal long-term is to teach the wife how to lol so I’m not the only one filming and poling the boat around all day as much as I would like to be the guide and filmed everyday I would like to swap roles from time to time lol. Good advice tho I appreciate the real response
. Skinny’s advice is spot on! You either fish, pole, or shoot video. If you attempt to do all three, you’ll do none of it well! See if you can jump onboard with some friends or possibly a guide to produce a video. There might be a guide that would be interested in you producing a self-promo video in trade for you either jumping aboard his/her skiff or following along in a camera boat. Just a thought!

· Registered
2,444 Posts
Thank you guys for that insight, I think I may be getting ahead of myself on this. I’ll continue to fish and maybe take some super short clips from time to time but you guys are right. I can’t do all three at once by myself. Maybe I’ll come across a few guys locally in my area that have the same hobbies and we can all work together to catch more fish and produce short films from time to time.

Thank you guys for all your advice
If nothing else, you’ve seen what people hate about posting fishing videos. Just keep that in mind and go out and enjoy your plan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts