Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Documenting trips (edit)

6407 Views 157 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  JC Designs
(Edit)

Well this blew up for the worse ….. my intentions are to make cinematic clips for my self / friends / family I am not looking to out everyone’s spots and become Jake Paul ….. just a dude with a camera that would like to share my experience thru videos instead of a standard pic ….. get off my butt lol

Is there any filmers on here? I’m looking for someone to mentor me or answer certain questions regarding making YouTube videos or short videos documenting your fishing trips. I’ve got a GoPro hero 8 and a bunch of accessories that I need to put to use before I go spending money on editing, computers and real cameras. So far I’ve got Adobe Premiere Pro, my GoPro hero 8, and I have been messing with editing.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,014 Posts
My favorite "waterproof camera" story? The time I poled myself off of my poling platform (no extra charge for entertainment, folks...) with that good camera on a lanyard around my neck, resting in my shirt pocket... It was literally the only time that camera got wet - and it didn't survive.... a single dunking. Back to the drawing board for me...

"Aren't boats (and everything that goes with them...) fun?"

· Registered
6,014 Posts
Back to earth... way back in 1996 when I was first guiding full time.. I had an offer to work as a camera boat operator for a fishing show (Mark Sosin's show all those years ago..). It was a two boat setup, Mark with a guide poling his skiff -fly fishing tarpon out in front of Ocean Reef, camera guy #1 aboard.... and me with the second camera guy poling behind them... I never worked so hard on the water, poling my fanny off trying to keep within filming distance of Mark... This was back in the days of big shoulder mounted cameras like you'd see at big football games - each one so sensitive to moisture that they had to be locked away if there was the slightest hint of rain (of course that show owned the camera gear - and the operators were employees of the show... adding to the weekly overhead..).

What I learned those three days convinced me that I'd never want to be part of any TV show where you're doing everything you can to come up with 22 minutes of film (all that's actually in a 30 minute show) each week. While at the same time showing every product your advertisers (where you make your money, if possible) are paying for...Not much fun at all... not at all...

By the way, for anyone that might actually have a great fishing spot.. don't tell a soul about it - not even your brother or your best friend... If one other person finds out about it - that spot is done, period... Another of those "Ask me how I know" deals... I provide tips and pointers all the time about my areas in the 'glades - since there are so many of them and a good number are also situational... There are lots of other places where that's not the case at all with very few really good fishing spots - and fewer each year...

I can still remember Al Pflueger coming to the fishing club we belonged to in 1979...and saying about Homosassa - it had great numbers of giant tarpon back then - with only a few fishing it ...- "it's all over there now...". This was in the late seventies, long before the general public learned about the giant tarpon there - and proceeded to love it to death... This was also well before the world record tarpon on fly was taken there- but that's another story entirely..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts