Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Documenting trips (edit)

5775 157
(Edit)

Well this blew up for the worse ….. my intentions are to make cinematic clips for my self / friends / family I am not looking to out everyone’s spots and become Jake Paul ….. just a dude with a camera that would like to share my experience thru videos instead of a standard pic ….. get off my butt lol

Is there any filmers on here? I’m looking for someone to mentor me or answer certain questions regarding making YouTube videos or short videos documenting your fishing trips. I’ve got a GoPro hero 8 and a bunch of accessories that I need to put to use before I go spending money on editing, computers and real cameras. So far I’ve got Adobe Premiere Pro, my GoPro hero 8, and I have been messing with editing.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

· ~Skiffs Rock~
2016 Lagoon Skiff by A&L Fiberglass
90 Posts
Jeez. Being a mentor? Sure! What the heck! If you believe me? You'll believe anyone. OK OK So hit me on the privates - that is private messaging ... maybe, just maybe I can provide a pearl or two. Or here - [email protected] ... warning - you're opening up a big box of expensive chocolates ... and you never know what you're gonna get!

· Premium Member
13' Gheenoe Highsider
90 Posts
This is what's wrong with fishing...... and why we can't have nice things.
Mixed bag, but I'll agree that giving a googan a camera hasn't helped their behavior. I see a world of difference between guys like Estrada and Wild Fly Productions and the bros out here ripping in no wake zones and casting on Tarpon at Robbies from the point and posting it to Tik Tok. There's some quality work being done that is serving a great purpose shedding light on the FL and beyond waters and the issues surrounding access and clean water. Then there's the clowns like Googan Squad and their ilk. Can't put them all in the same basket.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,741 Posts
Mixed bag, but I'll agree that giving a googan a camera hasn't helped their behavior. I see a world of difference between guys like Estrada and Wild Fly Productions and the bros out here ripping in no wake zones and casting on Tarpon at Robbies from the point and posting it to Tik Tok. There's some quality work being done that is serving a great purpose shedding light on the FL and beyond waters and the issues surrounding access and clean water. Then there's the clowns like Googan Squad and their ilk. Can't put them all in the same basket.
There is a huge negative stereotype and it sucks for the guys that respect the resource and other people. The other 98% are disrespectful and annoying.

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,201 Posts
There is a huge negative stereotype and it sucks for the guys that respect the resource and other people. The other 98% are disrespectful and annoying.
You forgot “and giant douche’s”

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,741 Posts
You forgot “and giant douche’s”
Agree! I had a badass back lake that was only accessible on low tide by laying flat in a kayak and walking your way through a culvert with your hands on the top. Redfish everywhere and zero pressure other than a few of us that knew about it. A couple of years later one of them took the wrong idiot and he shot a video of how to get there and everything. It wasn’t long and the land owner drove rebar across both ends because people started dragging kayaks across the guy’s property and ruined it for everyone. This was about 12-14 years ago.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
It’s the same thing really. Wild fly hits all my spots in Montana and advertises them to the world. Ruining the best fishing in the country for some views. So lame. The question is who squawked to Wildfly? Don’t even get me started!

· Premium Member
13' Gheenoe Highsider
90 Posts
It’s the same thing really. Wild fly hits all my spots in Montana and advertises them to the world. Ruining the best fishing in the country for some views. So lame. The question is who squawked to Wildfly? Don’t even get me started!
The work they did early on to help protect the fishery in Boone when the growth at App State was leading to the loss of open waters was great. If saving access is the goal and increasing awareness is what it takes, ill take the loss of a secret spot in order to protect river systems and bring these issues into the open. If nobody cares about our waters nobody is going to lift a finger to protect them. You wont have a honey hole when millionares fro CA by up your property and lobby to remove public waters access rights.

· Registered
2022 Skimmer Skiff 16’6” - 2022 Suzuki DF60A
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeez. Being a mentor? Sure! What the heck! If you believe me? You'll believe anyone. OK OK So hit me on the privates - that is private messaging ... maybe, just maybe I can provide a pearl or two. Or here - [email protected] ... warning - you're opening up a big box of expensive chocolates ... and you never know what you're gonna get!
It’s already got expensive after taking on fly fishing this month LOL.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s the attitude that no one likes. “My spots”

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope you know what you're getting yourself into lol. You're gonna be spending way more time filming and editing than actual fishing. Video editing suuuuucks and is a huge time sink.
Hoping to just do this for random short clips , and the longer ones for special trips throughout the year. Because I’m not a film guy 24/7 but I would like to document my special occasions / trips

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wild fly is my inspiration right now. Just want to put a little time into cinematic shots and editing for these traveling trips or special trips. Not trying to be the next Jake Paul.

· Registered
110 Posts
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the negative responses. Theres a lot of grey between black an white. Perhaps one likes shooting content, being creative, and wants to merge 2 equally enjoyable hobbies. Assholes are assholes and there are PLENTY of them that don’t have a go pro. Creating content doesn’t automatically peg someone as one.

while im not a content creator i spent 17 years in the photo industry and in the end I had to also dive into video as the technology forced my hand. It can be a fun hobby, there’s certainly a lot to learn and if your like me, that can be part of the draw. To truly do it well you will have to learn video editing, honestly thst is where most the creative decisions are made. You could create 2 entirely different shows or shorts off the exact same footage. It is a lot of work, hence why many serious creators have others do the legwork. As others have said it will suck up some of your focus and some more of your money. Id say when you go out, choose which is your primary for that trip out: fishing or filming.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,515 Posts
The work they did early on to help protect the fishery in Boone when the growth at App State was leading to the loss of open waters was great. If saving access is the goal and increasing awareness is what it takes, ill take the loss of a secret spot in order to protect river systems and bring these issues into the open. If nobody cares about our waters nobody is going to lift a finger to protect them. You wont have a honey hole when millionares fro CA by up your property and lobby to remove public waters access rights.
If you go where I fish, it’s nothing but you and the stream. In 30 mile stretches of private land. It’s pretty far from any city centers and now there people all over the area in their travel vans. Flylords is equally as guilty.

While I am all for conservation, at the current moment not everywhere is in that world but it will be required if hoards of people start showing up, which they are. I got kicked out of one of my spots this year I have had permission for 15 years and the ranchers son said I had an argument with him and was rude. Never even met the kid, it was someone else but they were already bent out of shape.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
That’s the attitude that no one likes. “My spots”
I don’t need to give up the places I have explored and found for my whole life just so people will like me, anyone on this forum knows that’s not a big metrics for me.

while I enjoy content on YouTube, I would rather experience it myself and Id rather have the exploration left up to me.

I didn’t come on here to bash YouTubing. I like Marling baits and Jay Seimens. But I did come on to bash Wildfly, they out your spots and when you meet at least the main guy in person he’s not gunna hang out and talk fishin with ya. It’s possible to make videos without the drones and without saying where you are.

· Registered
2010 NewWater Stilt
600 Posts
I don’t need to give up the places I have explored and found for my whole life just so people will like me, anyone on this forum knows that’s not a big metrics for me.

while I enjoy content on YouTube, I would rather experience it myself and Id rather have the exploration left up to me.
Agreed, there are people blowing up spots everywhere right now. The social media spot burning in South Texas has gotten out of control. While none of the places I fish are "my spot", it still sucks to see areas blown up for a couple of views. One nice thing about a poling skiff is you can normally fish water these other guys can't though.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
Agreed, there are people blowing up spots everywhere right now. The social media spot burning in South Texas has gotten out of control. While none of the places I fish are "my spot", it still sucks to see areas blown up for a couple of views. One nice thing about a poling skiff is you can normally fish water these other guys can't though.
It’s funny how they don’t claim any of that damage from their views though. It’s one thing in South Florida where there’s ten million people within 90 miles. People are around.

Up here it’s creeks that can’t handle any pressure and people are flying in from all over just to fish them now. They are hours from any city and the nearest towns a couple hundred people and the place you normally fish has two vans from Washington parked there with a group of 6.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts