Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new to boating and a have a cs 198v and under slow speeds is a nightmare to steer like when im docking. Am i just a newb or is this common for this hull design

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Learn to “spring” into any dock and you’ll have much more control. Take a bow line, cleat it then take a turn around the piling or cleat you’re wanting. With this in place you either move forward or reverse slowly and allow the tether to pull you into the dock.

Lastly, never come at the dock any harder than you want to hit it...

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
It's also the disadvantage of having a lightweight boat imo. I feel I get blown around a lot more then heavier boats.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I try to bump in and our of gear when I'm near the dock and come in slow. You don't like an ass hat if you back up and approach the dock 4 or 5 times before you get it. Don't be the guy that slams the dock and falls overboard when you are trying to tie up.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Take a minute and see what the wind and current are doing .....if possible, try to let the wind blow you to the dock and always pull in heading to the current
make the elements work for you not against you

if you have to come in against the wind do what lemaymia stated

launch a boat so the wind will blow it to the dock...keeps the wife from getting wet! There are all kind of "tricks"

1. long dock lines

on a flat bottom boat you can "juice" the throttle to kick the boat a little to slide it in the direction you want BUT be very,very careful..not for the novice

Practice....again learn your boat...takes time...we have all been there...and some times we still are

discretion is the better part of making excuses

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i usaly go with slow and steady. The dock i use has pointed pylons and with a skiff my bumprs are not big enough to hit dock before the pylon or floats .

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
Lastly, never come at the dock any harder than you want to hit it...
This...and lots of practice.

Also rest assured you'll never look as goofy as the guys trying to dock a tunnel tiller skiff with a Foreman prop. My "reverse" is really a marginally effective brake...o_O

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here in Wisconsin its Badd enough having the skip everybody looks at me like what is that boat. Also I'm a pretty large Human and its Like what you haven't seen a fat guy in a boat before

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Practice practicing. It always practicing. Some days you look like a pro, same dock for decades. And one day you just blow it. Just rememder it’s not a car. The road is actually moving under you. So you must compensate for wind and tide. If tide is going perpendicular to where you tie off, aiming right for where you want to be will end you up into the dock or past it. As Smack said. I too have poor reverse and steering in one direction due to prop. Sponson might be a negative in this case as well.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Up on the east coast they have an annual crab boat docking competition; those guys pull out all the stops and exhibit some amazing boathandling skills. It’s an absolute hoot to watch. I’ll look for the videos and post a link when I get a chance.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I’m up in the ICU with my daughter so I don’t have access to a computer. Try Googling “2015 Pocomoke Boat Docking Contest”. It should be a Youtube video. It’s high entertainment......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts