Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a boat. I've read that you should check compression on the outboard as well as do some other things. Do you let a buyer test compression on your boat? I'm not sure I would if I was selling one, unless it was a mechanic.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
616 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t let them test it themselves. Too big a chance they will do something stupid, knock something loose, cross thread a spark plug, drop something in the cylinder, etc.

Being that I have a compression gauge, I’d test it before hand and take pics to show sellers. If they demand that I show them in person, I would, with their cash in my hand.

·
Carpe Diem
1,758 Posts
I always check compression on motors I sell before offering them for sale. I write down the numbers, and compare to specs for the motor. If a buyer wants to check compression, I show him the numbers and the spec. If he insists on testing, I do it myself while he watches.

When I buy a motor I always insist on performing or seeing a compression check performed.

B

·
0 Posts
As a tech. I ain’t buying or reccomending a customer purchase with out a comp. test! Very simple! If you don’t trust a buyer to do themselves but are selling boats at least have a gauge on hand so you can perform one in front of a potential buyer, they are cheap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I tow the boat to a mechanic and let the buyer pay the bill. I don't think it is unreasonable for a buyer to get the boat checked out by someone other than the seller.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Testing as the seller and taking pics as proof is nothing. I disregard that, and as a buyer, I test myself. I have also not had an issue with someone testing my motors, as I have already tested them before they do so i know what's going on. I tell them what I found, and invite their own test. I'll facilitate if they aren't familiar with the tools to do it. No surprises for anyone is the name of the game. I see the last guy i sold a boat to all the time, here at home AND in the Bahamas. He was a complete stranger before he called me up off my craigslist ad. You may have to see these guys again.. it's a small world!

·
Registered
335 Posts
In the past I have paid a shop to do an inspection/compression/leak down test on a boat I was looking to buy. Normally costs about $100 and is worth some peace of mind, and I think it is preferred to have a 3rd party provide the report.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with the comment about getting the terms of sale agreed first. I haven't sold a boat in a while, but last time I got the price agreed with the buyer in writing conditioned upon successful testing of whatever the buyer wanted to check (at his cost). Nothing would be more aggravating than going through the time and effort of testing and then have him come in with an offer you would never have considered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts