Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

How many flyfishers carry spinning/casting gear for backup when fishing?

• yes

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • sometimes

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • no

Votes: 34 35.4%
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I often fish with my kids and/or non fly anglers, so I always have a casting/spinning rod on the boat. After we have been hunting for big Reds, we often find some spots that are holding slot size fish including trout. It is fun to catch some on the casting/spinning rod and make ceviche and fish tacos. BTW, I also carry a Sig or HK as well.

mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,373 Posts
When I moved down to the coast 20+ years ago, I told myself over and over again that I was going to just fly fish. Every time I went out I'd take my fly rod and a conventional rod. I'd always start with fly gear but invariably, the wind, the current, not enough light to see, insert whatever excuse here, and I'd put it down and pick up my conventional rig. Sure I caught lots of fish over the years, but I didn't get any better at fly fishing in the salt from a boat. About 4 years ago, I put the conventional down and made a conscious decision to only fly fish no matter the conditions I was out fishing in. Consequently, I am comfortable fly fishing in just about any condition or situation that I would consider fly fishing in. I will occasionally go out conventional fishing with non-fly fishing friends and sometimes my kids, although they both fly fish too, but I'm 99% fly fishing only.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,417 Posts
Nah...never as "back up"...don't see the point. Learn to cast in tough conditions and raise your skill set.

Only time you'll find spin gear in my skiff is if I have one of my daughters or in-laws with me. On those days I just stay on the push pole and don't fish normally...

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I make a few trips each year to put some fish in the freezer which I use boat rods etc..
Then once in awhile I get to take a couple kids fishing or family friends who are new to fishing but in those occasions I don't fish, just do what I can to help them have some fun which is fun for me.

I expect that you fish the way you enjoy it, me too.
Have fly rod, will travel.

·
Ex Troutbum
113 Posts
I have a couple of spin rods, but I don't think I have used one beyond taking a few casts off a dock in 40 years. Its pretty much fly only for me. When I bird hunted it was over pointing dogs or nothing. Not elitist, but fishing other than fly fishing doesn't interest me, and hunting other than over bird dogs is the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I definitely carry spinning gear when my wife is along, she is a good spin fisherwoman! And I want her to enjoy herself! Sometimes you cant use the long rod when your partner is spinning so I just join her and have fun. She does recognize key times when I want to cast the long rod and she honors me with that. I also carry a spinning rod for any friend that I take along that is not a fly fisherman. When I fish alone its 100% fly gear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Went through a period where I did fly only. These days, I bring along a low profile baitcasting rig and might chunk a paddle tail or topwater with that. Actually, it’s been kind of fun switching it up and I do still use the fly rod even with bringing along the baitcasting rig. If the fish are deeper, I’d much rather go at them with conventional tackle rather than mess with the sinking/sink tip fly lines. Some days, it might be all fly and others mostly conventional. There’s a lot of potential for finesse and precision with either type of setup.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts