Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Save the Kwan and several variations of my own, I don't have a single one of those other flies in my box. I fall into the bonefish fly school of thought unless the fish are pushing the 20lb class then I go the opposite direction. Even then, I tie very few redfish flies with any flash in them period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Also, are we talking bulls on the open flats or slot fish in the ponds and shallower flats? Those fish behave differently and require different presentations.

Owen Plair, who wrote the article, fishes in South Carolina if I remember correctly so his location may have some bearing on the list.

Some of the flies are redundant. A good redfish box has something crabby, something shrimpy and varying dumbell eye weight depending on water depth/situation.

And like Caleb said, fish over 20 lbs get something a little different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Caleb, why no flash on your redfish flies?
In my subjective opinion, it's hard to go wrong with the subtle approach as long as your presentation is good. I consider big gaudy/flashy flies somewhat of a handicap and more often than not very unnecessary. Sure there are always anomalies and a "break glass in case of emergency" fly is the move on those rare days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
Caleb has it right. Presentation is way more important than pattern but let me expand on what I mean by presentation.

1. Chose a fly that the fish will "see" given the conditions.
2. Put the fly in the correct location.
3. Move the fly so that the fish intercepts it, hopefully from a profile perspective and so that the fly is moving away from the fish.

and then the one I see lots of angler fail on in the heat of the moment

4. Move the fly in a manner that suggests what you are trying to suggest with the pattern in the first place. I see guys throw a crab fly and then strip it in long slow pulls. Then I see guys that throw a big baitfish pattern and use little twitches across the bottom. Now that still works but it works better if you use the correct strip for the type of fly.
 

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Joined
·
649 Posts
He used to be a guide for Bay Street Outfitters in Beaufort, SC. This list does work well for the Low Country, but I would definitely have added a gurgler.
Owen still guiding out of BSO. And this is a list of primarily floodtide flys that work from Jax to nc. They razmataz travels well.
 

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What if one found themselves on a flat in the greater Tampa Bay region? What would you throw?

I’ll be honest, and not ashamed to admit this, but I haven’t bagged a red sightfishing. Can’t get close enough, or if I’m close enough, watched the fish rocket away before I could cast...time and time again. Only dumb luck on a blind cast have I caught one of those rascals.
 

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
What if one found themselves on a flat in the greater Tampa Bay region? What would you throw?

I’ll be honest, and not ashamed to admit this, but I haven’t bagged a red sightfishing. Can’t get close enough, or if I’m close enough, watched the fish rocket away before I could cast...time and time again. Only dumb luck on a blind cast have I caught one of those rascals.
It took me a year and a half of throwing flies at Tampa reds before I finally caught one. Seriously...I caught bonefish in Oahu before I caught a redfish in my home water here...it was ridiculous.

Since then, below are three flies I have caught reds on here in Tampa waters...

View media item 1924
View media item 1507
View media item 1262
 

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Joined
·
963 Posts
Those are all great flies but probably 90% of the time I'm throwing a Redfish Crack of varying sizes and subtle color changes. The other 10% is probably evenly split between a spoon fly, a Gurgler, or a Crease popper.

Color of each of the above varies according to water color/clarity and size/weight is impacted both by clarity, depth, and observed size of bait I see the reds chasing.
 

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
Joined
·
719 Posts
Those are all great flies but probably 90% of the time I'm throwing a Redfish Crack of varying sizes and subtle color changes. The other 10% is probably evenly split between a spoon fly, a Gurgler, or a Crease popper.

Color of each of the above varies according to water color/clarity and size/weight is impacted both by clarity, depth, and observed size of bait I see the reds chasing.
Pretty much the same here. In the past 3 years or so, I've thrown almost exclusively Redfish Cracks until they start getting rejected regularly, then I'll start switching it up. If there are a lot of Sheepies around, I've found they are more likely to eat a Kawn than a Crack, so I'll switch to Kwans. Especially on big winter Reds in dirty La water.
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top