Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That’s a shame! Nothing more frustrating than expensive equipment failing.....but it happens. I personally love the Sector. I own an 8 & 10wt and thinking about getting a 7wt. Full disclosure, I came from the land of Helios2’s as the nicest rod I’ve owned and really just stuck with those for the past 5 years.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,127 Posts
I've cast the Sector and the Meridian, the Radian and the Tidal and found all of those rods to be good casting rods, especially the Meridian. I thought the Sector was actually a fast action rod and it seemed to like the plus weight lines better. I think a better choice of line and perhaps consider that it is probably the indian and not the arrow.
My kid broke his Sage rod a couple months ago and when I called Sage, they said they had been closed down from the Rona and had a solid 10-12 week back log. Got the rod back last week so only 75$ and 5 weeks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
636 Posts
Pretty much all of the major rod companies, Loomis and Sage for sure, not sure about, Scott were shut down for considerable amounts of time due to COVID. There is very little inventory nationally, and the companies are having to catch up with production and repairs and aren't having a great go of it thus far.
That is exactly right. I broke my Meridian and Scott told me they were really backed up with repairs, took about a month to get the rod back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Scott Tidal ferrule break (previous damage), sent it in this summer; took about six weeks. No charge except for shipping and I am pretty sure they replaced 3 sections AND included another tip section. Also, they fixed a squeaky part of the cork (that section wasn't replaced). That's awesome customer service.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They got a little backed up at the factory as they had limited staff going in during March- May.
I heard Sage had no repair shop up and running for months and that they basically have a warehouse full of broken rods just sitting there. Anyone send in a Sage for repair lately?

·
Registered
41 Posts
They got a little backed up at the factory as they had limited staff going in during March- May.
I heard Sage had no repair shop up and running for months and that they basically have a warehouse full of broken rods just sitting there. Anyone send in a Sage for repair lately?
Buddy of mine waited almost seven months to get his Sage X repaired, he just got it back

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a sector 8wt and love it not as fast as my NRX. Have caught big reds in LA and nice beach snook and big jacks and medium size tarpon. I fish it with cortland liquid crystal and you can cast plenty of line out if that’s what you want but more importantly can land a fly soft and accurately for me. Definitely want to allow the rod to load and not hurry the cast. Also have a 11wt meridian and 6wt meridian. 6wt for reds is amazing and a lot of fun. Ive eMailed Scott and they emailed me back next day. So no complaints from me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,127 Posts
See my post above...5 weeks to get my kid's Sage Approach 8wt repaired. Looks like they just put a new tip section in the rod tube and sent it back. Whatever, I'm happy it only took 5 weeks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the line suggestions.

For those that suggested there was some user error here with respect to the casting / getting the fly unstuck, I'd respectfully disagree. I just need a faster rod, I'm more accurate and can cast significantly further.

I'm happy to sell the rod if anyone wants it. Brand new condition, in the tube with plastic on the cork.

·
Registered
G3 16 CCJ
91 Posts
I love my Meridians (7 & 8 weights) but the two (pre-pandemic) experiences I’ve had with Scott repair service were unsatisfactory and compare unfavorably with Hardy and Sage, which have been stellar. Both incidents were my fault so I have no issues with product quality. For starters, they’ve never proactively acknowledged receipt of a rod, and have never given anything but the most vague guidance on when a repair would be done when I requested the info. In one case it took about two months to get a Meridian 8-weight back, and they addressed the package incorrectly so it was delivered to the wrong location. Then they repeated the shipping error on another rod, despite my request that they update the shipping information. I think I’m done buying Scott rods since I seem to be hard on rods and there are a lot of great rods out there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks for the line suggestions.

For those that suggested there was some user error here with respect to the casting / getting the fly unstuck, I'd respectfully disagree. I just need a faster rod, I'm more accurate and can cast significantly further.

I'm happy to sell the rod if anyone wants it. Brand new condition, in the tube with plastic on the cork.
I'll take that piece of junk off your hands for $350

·
Registered
899 Posts
Love my TFO Axiom 2 and Axiom 2X. They are light, responsive and TFO has the best warranty service in the business. I've fished Sage and other brands but TFO is fine with me and I'm picky. Sent one Sage back as it was soft and was without the rod for several months.........TFO sends a new rod in a week or less.

Reactions: TX_Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love my TFO Axiom 2 and Axiom 2X. They are light, responsive and TFO has the best warranty service in the business. I've fished Sage and other brands but TFO is fine with me and I'm picky. Sent one Sage back as it was soft and was without the rod for several months.........TFO sends a new rod in a week or less.
I had a BVK take 4 months to get back to me, I keep calling after month 2 and on the 4 month they told me they lost my rod then sent me a new one . For me besides the BVK they all felt like I was casting a sub $300 rod, they felt heavy and had bad swing rates .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a charter captain in the NE and I have 2 Sectors (8wt and 9wt) in the arsenal available to my clients. If I did not like these rods I would not be writing this. They are both great rods that cast as nicely as any rod I have ever had. They both have SA Amplitude Grand Slam Int lines and the pairing is unbelievable. EVERY person who has picked them up and cast with them reacts favorably. Thankfully, I have not broken either rod so I cannot comment on customer service. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
5 Posts
Bought a Sage Payload 8 weight on a trip in Alaska. Figured it would be great for Salmon and throwing big flys at winter time reds back home. First couple casts, the rod snaps in the second section... didn't snag anything, didn't high stick, I was literally just practicing my double haul and getting used to the rod. Payed their flat rate fee for repair, shipped the rod back to sage, I have no clue the status of my rod or when I will get it back. It was early August when i shipped it. Probably wont see that Rod for another couple months, never even caught a fish on it. Covid Sucks

21 - 40 of 40 Posts