Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to do this, but I bought (or more accurately my wife bought me) a new Scott Sector 8 weight and have had a terrible experience that others should know about.

On the lawn, the rod seemed a little slow. Accuracy wasn't great in my hands either. Finish of the rod is superb. Take it out on the boat one time and hate the way it casts. Seems slow and innaccurate. Full disclosure, I am usually a Sage person (have Sage Ones and Sage Salt HDs.

My fly then get a snag in some weeds (bass fishing). Pulling the fly out of the weeds (not high-sticking), the rod snaps at the base.

After some 4 letter words go flying around, I take it back to my local fly shop and discuss options. They send it back and it takes around 3 months for Scott to repair / replace the rod. Still not exactly sure what they did as the cork has plastic wrapped around it and the rod appears new. At this point, I call Scott and leave a message and have not gotten a response (over a week ago). No response to emails either. Lastly, they charged 89$ for the repair (I know this is pretty standard now but adds insult to injury).

So this will be my first and last Scott rod. Consider other companies that stand behind their product and make rods that don't break on day 1. I have zero confidence in this stick and have learned a lesson the hard way.

I know others will have differing opinions. But a company that won't return emails or phone calls about a $900 fly rod that snaps the first trip out is dead to me. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hate to do this, but I bought (or more accurately my wife bought me) a new Scott Sector 8 weight and have had a terrible experience that others should know about.

On the lawn, the rod seemed a little slow. Accuracy wasn't great in my hands either. Finish of the rod is superb. Take it out on the boat one time and hate the way it casts. Seems slow and innaccurate. Full disclosure, I am usually a Sage person (have Sage Ones and Sage Salt HDs.

My fly then get a snag in some weeds (bass fishing). Pulling the fly out of the weeds (not high-sticking), the rod snaps at the base.

After some 4 letter words go flying around, I take it back to my local fly shop and discuss options. They send it back and it takes around 3 months for Scott to repair / replace the rod. Still not exactly sure what they did as the cork has plastic wrapped around it and the rod appears new. At this point, I call Scott and leave a message and have not gotten a response (over a week ago). No response to emails either. Lastly, they charged 89$ for the repair (I know this is pretty standard now but adds insult to injury).

So this will be my first and last Scott rod. Consider other companies that stand behind their product and make rods that don't break on day 1. I have zero confidence in this stick and have learned a lesson the hard way.

I know others will have differing opinions. But a company that won't return emails or phone calls about a $900 fly rod that snaps the first trip out is dead to me. Caveat emptor.
I cast a Sector at a local shops demo day. I found it considerably slow for my taste as well, rods I normally cast aren't as fast as your Salt HD etc, but are moderately fast. I did finally find the groove where the rod liked to be cast, but it didn't suit my casting style, very smooth rod, probably great for trout. The Scott rep had a pretty well rehearsed spiel about how he takes issue with labeling rods "fast" or "slow" etc and he could pretty much cast the whole line with it, but different casting strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
These thousand dollar sticks should have tight enough manufacturing tolerances to be able to ship out replacement sections. Asking customers to send it into the "repair" shop with a hundred dollar check where it sits in a box for three months for a repair that takes 20 minutes is ridiculous. I was able to get a replacement section shipped to my door from New Zealand in week yet these so called rod builders can't get off instagram long enough fix their customers shit. Lookin at you Loomis, you too Scott. Orvis will exchange your panty hose if it gets a run after a year of hard use but they will sit on your H3 for 120 days to replace a loose reel seat.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you can't cast a Sector, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that says more about you than the rod...
The better I've gotten as a caster, the more I think that for the most part the rod doesn't matter - a good caster just adjusts his stroke to meet the action of the rod he happens to be casting. Sure, there's some you might like more than others, but it's not like this one you can cast great, and that one you cast terribly.

That said, I've have mixed experiences with Scott customer service. I won't buy any new Scott rod anymore. And I won't buy anything from Orvis for any reason at any price - even if they paid me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
939 Posts
I can't speak to the Sector but I've had nothing but the best experience with Scott rods going back to their S3S days.

I have a couple of the Tidal rods and they're probably my favorite rods in 8 & 10wt. IMHO, they are far and away the best "bang for your buck" rods out there. Sub-$500 rods that perform like $800+ rods. I don't own a Meridian but I've fished them and they're fantastic too. I will say the Tidal tends to be a bit slower than a lot of rods. Not a slow rod by any means but slower than any Sage I've cast.

I've also had zero issues with their warranty work when needed- each time it was my fault.

Sorry you're having such a poor experience but I've got nothing but good things to say about Scott.

·
Registered
444 Posts

I've damaged a rod as well. The butt section to mid section never seated as well as other rods and eventually I didn't check it and it cracked while casting. Sold an 8 wt and it blew up on the guy first week out.

What line were you casting on the Sector?

Also, when I get hung up on anything I point the rod tip at the snag and pull the line. Isn't that standard?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Damn, I am sorry to hear about that experience with Scott and the Sector. I have not thrown it so I can not speak about the action and power. In regards to repairs or turnaround times. Yes between COVID and people buying a lot of fishing equipment during these times most of not all rod companies are very thin or out of stock. Many of the companies want the entire rod back to inspect for additional fractures plus fit the ferrule. Do I believe fitting the ferrule is necessary? Not really. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and send out replacement sections for multi-piece blanks on the regular and cant count on one hand in 6 years a ferrule not fitting right out of the gate. Orvis, is an entirely different animal. Hell, I'm glad they quit making blanks. They wouldn't even provide labeling or warranty their blanks. That rod shop does need some work. There is no reason it should take as long as it does to get repairs out of there, especially when building a new handle section takes me all of 10min... If I have the butt section and components. Which if it is a current production model, as the H3, should not be an issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Damn, I am sorry to hear about that experience with Scott and the Sector. I have not thrown it so I can not speak about the action and power. In regards to repairs or turnaround times. Yes between COVID and people buying a lot of fishing equipment during these times most of not all rod companies are very thin or out of stock. Many of the companies want the entire rod back to inspect for additional fractures plus fit the ferrule. Do I believe fitting the ferrule is necessary? Not really. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and send out replacement sections for multi-piece blanks on the regular and cant count on one hand in 6 years a ferrule not fitting right out of the gate. Orvis, is an entirely different animal. Hell, I'm glad they quit making blanks. They wouldn't even provide labeling or warranty their blanks. That rod shop does need some work. There is no reason it should take as long as it does to get repairs out of there, especially when building a new handle section takes me all of 10min... If I have the butt section and components. Which if it is a current production model, as the H3, should not be an issue.
The H3 is the only one they will send out just a section for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pretty much all of the major rod companies, Loomis and Sage for sure, not sure about, Scott were shut down for considerable amounts of time due to COVID. There is very little inventory nationally, and the companies are having to catch up with production and repairs and aren't having a great go of it thus far.
Yep, this seems to be the case. Simms told me my 11-month-old G3 wading pants that the zipper busted on would sit for eight weeks before they'd be able to take a look at them. The tackle and gear manufacturers were shutdown and/or running at reduced capacities while everyone raced out and got busy trashing gear.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
257 Posts
You don't have much to bitch about since the rod failed due to your misuse. Getting hung up and then the rod failing by pulling on it is not a manufacturing defect. Why didn't you point the rod toward the snag and pull on the line ( past the tip) to break the fly off. Think!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I broke a brand new Sage One 796 on a small pike five or six years ago. 24" hamemrhandle. I was like wth? Then it took three months to get the $70 warranty repair back. When the wait got past two months I emailed to ask about it and Sage's repair shop said they were waiting for parts for the reel seat. I had broken the upper mid -- ??? The rod showed up, cork shrink wrapped in plastic, an apparently all-new rod. Well, ok...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The complaint seems to be that the OP doesn't like the rod and he's been waiting a week for Scott to tell him why they replaced the entire thing. The lifetime warranties are pretty good deals for us on the consumer end imo when it comes to $1000 rods we're putting in harm's way every time out.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
720 Posts
What line are you using on the Sector? I have a Meridian 8wt and with an SA Amplitude Grand Slam line it's absolutely brilliant. It almost feels alive in my hand.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Loomis is owned by Shimano - they don't repair rods, too expensive and time consuming. They just send out a new one. I had a NRX that had a flaw in its reel seat - called and talked to the one and only repair guy there and he told me they only send out new rods. This was about 4 years ago - can't imagine that has changed.

I've unfortunately had to send back a number of Winton's due to either the fish or angler's fault. No defect in the rod itself. Their warranty department is top notch, they even pick up the phone to call you if they need to discuss options.

I had to send back two Ross Flystik's recently due to someone on my boat breaking them. I am at three months now and still in line. COVID and inventory have been the issues slowing them down as others have said.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts