Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about getting an older 15 hp two stroke and rebuilding it. Any of you guys done it? Are parts available? I’ve overhauled two car engines before, a ford 351 Cleveland and a Jeep 258 but I’ve never turned a wrench on an outboard.

looking for tips.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Without knowing what the make, model, year, etc. It would be hard to answer your questions. However, I have rebuilt many 2 strokes and the problem I always seem to run into is finding the parts. My recent build was a 1996 Nissan 2 stroke. I had completely removed everything to paint, rebuild the motor and replace every piece of hardware and discover many of the parts were no longer available. I looked to Ebay, and Criagslist hoping to find. In the end, I had to buy busted motors just to get the few parts I needed. I have discovered over the last few years or so, no one really has interest in a 2 stroke unless you have one and it runs great. The interest to learn and fix what you have has been replaced with 4 stokes. Hope this helps

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
There are a few specialty tools you will need to actually do a full rebuild. It’s not just taking it apart and assembling. If the cylinder bores aren’t too worn you can usually just use a bore hone on a drill and get slightly larger piston rings but if they are grooved way out past tolerances you’ll need to have the bores machined and or sleeved and use oversized piston rings to get compression back within spec.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ideas in the cost of a gasket, ring and bearing setup for an older Merc/Johnson 15?

I need a greasy hobby again but don’t want to spend more than a good used one would be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I quite understand your situation. Are you saying you don't already have the motor and are going to specifically search for one that needs rebuilding? Why not just get a working one and spend your time maintaining it?
The latter is the idea. But I wouldn’t mind doing an internal freshen up. Rings, bearings seals etc.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
I just wrapped up rebuilding an '81 Merc 9.8 and it took awhile to locate everything but there are parts available, you just have to hunt for them. I picked up a '72 Rude 9.5 but fortunately it is near new.

Michael

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
I’m thinking about getting an older 15 hp two stroke and rebuilding it. Any of you guys done it? Are parts available? I’ve overhauled two car engines before, a ford 351 Cleveland and a Jeep 258 but I’ve never turned a wrench on an outboard.

looking for tips.
If you are anywhere around the Central Texas coast, I have an "extra" 1981 Merc 9.8 I could let go of. It runs but could use a good freshening up.

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts