Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
There is some sorta DIY in Alaska for the experienced camper.
You can charter a float plane to drop you off on a river, lake or an Island along the coast. With the right company it's a blast and you just need to give the bears their space and of course bring your own bottle.

Ultimate trip is going to one of the lodges though.
If the winters weren't so bad I'd live there.
My mother lived in Anchorage and a half brother in an out laying town.
How they stay sane with the snow up there is beyond me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We did a DIY Alaska. Flew onto Anchorage. Arranged fly out to two Cabins. First on pond for pike. Mildly successful but then flew to neat cabin on small pond near Talachulitna river. Take Jon boat across pond walk a couple miles to river. First nite buddy landed a 60 lb king. We hooked probably 5 in 3 days landed two. Lots of grayling and rainbows about 18 to 20". Last day back in Anchorage flew to Illiama and caught a bunch of sockeye. Great trip. Though next time I would rather hit a more remote area. Probably go to lodge. If you don't know anything about Alaska tough. Really need to arrange flights. Road access will be crowded I feel. We carried rifle, magnum pistol, pepper spray. We saw bears two days.

·
will pole for food
887 Posts
The wife and I did a DIY non touristy Bahamas island in 2018. We rented a car for a few days of our stay, and only got to see a portion of the island. What we saw was really neat though, although rustic from several Hurricanes. You basically had 80% of the beaches to yourself. The VRBO was on the windward side and too deep.. not too conducive to bonefishing, so we ventured out some days. I'd just find a spot on Google Earth, fill up an ice chest (we made sure to bring our own plus our own ice packs) and head out! The wife would sip champagne, read her book while I waded around swatting horseflies. After a day on the water, we'd go back to the VRBO, clean up, then hit the local bar for happy hour / dinner. Many of the patrons were bonefish guides just getting off the water and had some good stories of their sports for the day. The more obscure Islands arent for everyone, but we really enjoyed the locals in town and the isolation back at the VRBO. We will definitely go back.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
30 Posts
Would love to do a DIY Alaska trip.
This passed August, myself and 6 other buddies rented an RV and drove down the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. Lived out of the RV, ate a bunch of ramen noodles, and had a blast. Fished the Kenai River for most of the trip but fished some smaller rivers as well, deep creek, ship creek, russian river. Alaska is very forgiving, no guides the whole trip, and we caught a bunch of Silver salmon, sockeye and rainbow trout. Saw a bunch of bears and a moose. We were there for 8 days and the trip cost us each around 1400 a person. RV is the best way to do alaska on a budget. Covid definitely helped on the trip cost. Theres plenty of information online about the different fisheries/techniques.

IMG-3520.JPG
F0440457-AFA1-45FD-9BBA-C60CDD18F0D7.JPG

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,063 Posts
IRL for redfish and other species (don't go there any more), Flamingo and Choko for mixed bag, Pine Island Sound area for mixed bag, Va. Beach for stripers (one time gig), Cape Lookout many times for Albies, Isle of Palms for reds (SC off my list now), Hatteras for offshore. DIY Oak Island/Holden Beach inshore/offshore every week or two.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
366 Posts
This passed August, myself and 6 other buddies rented an RV and drove down the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. Lived out of the RV, ate a bunch of ramen noodles, and had a blast. Fished the Kenai River for most of the trip but fished some smaller rivers as well, deep creek, ship creek, russian river. Alaska is very forgiving, no guides the whole trip, and we caught a bunch of Silver salmon, sockeye and rainbow trout. Saw a bunch of bears and a moose. We were there for 8 days and the trip cost us each around 1400 a person. RV is the best way to do alaska on a budget. Covid definitely helped on the trip cost. Theres plenty of information online about the different fisheries/techniques.

View attachment 157783 View attachment 157782 View attachment 157784 View attachment 157785 View attachment 157786
I'll bet that documenting a trip like that would make for a really great show for the Outdoor Channel.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
30 Posts
I'll bet that documenting a trip like that would make for a really great show for the Outdoor Channel.
absolutely. A lot of interesting moments.. close calls with bears (you can see one in the background of that picture), broken fly rods, RV sliding down gravel roads, feeding bald eagles salmon carcasses..my favorite trip to date. Definitely an adventure and DIY just makes it a little better. If anybody is thinking about Alaska, just go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

View attachment 157783 View attachment 157782 View attachment 157784 View attachment 157785 View attachment 157786
This would be a blast. I’m going to start researching.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
If anybody is thinking about Alaska, just go.
If you travel to the "off the beaten path" places be aware.
You might be able to call 911, but doesn't mean it will be of help.
But that's no excuse for not going,

BTW,
All my trips (including Florida) were DIY before the mid 80's.
It just never crossed my mind to hire someone to take me fishing.
My dad was an outdoorsman. There still around but not as many fit that description as there use to be.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
30 Posts
If you travel to the "off the beaten path" places be aware.
You might be able to call 911, but doesn't mean it will be of help.
But that's no excuse for not going,

BTW,
All my trips (including Florida) were DIY before the mid 80's.
It just never crossed my mind to hire someone to take me fishing.
My dad was an outdoorsman. There still around but not as many fit that description as there use to be.
Agreed. I kept a sat phone, life straw, bear protection, fire starter and small first aid kit in my backpack at all times. Better to be prepared and not need it.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

yesterday, a DIY trip out in SF Bay :)

the bridge on the left is the Bay Bridge where it goes to Treasure Island, then to the city.
All the tall buildings are downtown San Francisco. The two doohickies sticking up on the right are the Golden Gate Bridges towers.

My Sea Nymph is a "fair weather" boat and it don't get any fairer weather than that in the bay.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
Loved those Alaska photos.

While not a DIY trip, I was lucky enough to score a "guide's day off experience" on the Nenana River back in 2017. Just me and one of the locals who lives there.

It was an epic day and I would go back for an RV trip in a heart beat!

Reactions: mro

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
We have traveled with our slide in truck camper for the past 7 years, to as far away as Newfoundland (6 our ferry ride from Nova Scotia) to the western US. Most of the trips have been along the Rocky Mountains. When I first starting hitting new destinations I would stop into a fly shop and see what flies they recommended, buy a few, and then in the evening tie up a handful in the RV. By far my favorite times have been seeking out small streams that have little to no pressure and fishing dry flies. It is a nice change of pace from saltwater fishing and the summers are a lot cooler too!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts